IGNORED

CB antenna replacement

mantree91

Has anyone installed a different cb antenna on there 1st gen. Did you do it with a standard antenna or a no ground plain antenna? I am going to be using separate antennas for cb and stereo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not on 1st Gen, but have on 2nd Gen. I went with the tunable tip FireStick and it did a better job than the original. I did use SWR meter on it as well. And replaced the radio antenna with a matching non-tunable tip FireStick, and it did not do as well as the original whip antenna.

You can order them and the stud mounts online or go to most any truck stop and get them.

Man I miss Radio Shack!!!

Not on 1st Gen, but have on 2nd Gen. I went with the tunable tip FireStick and it did a better job than the original. I did use SWR meter on it as well. And replaced the radio antenna with a matching non-tunable tip FireStick, and it did not do as well as the original whip antenna.

You can order them and the stud mounts online or go to most any truck stop and get them.

Man I miss Radio Shack!!!

I have several mounts but I just want sure if I needed a no ground plain or if there was enough metal on the bike. I will be putting the whip on the left side of the bike like I do with every car I have ever installed a CB on.

I mounted two Firestik antennas on the back of my 89. I did convert the luggage rack to an 87 as they came with the mounts on both sides for the antenna holder. I then ran a separate wire up to the radio and then a separate wire for the CB. This allowed me to remove the spliter that is attached to the CB and run the CB line into it directly. I would recommend the 3 foot Firestik as I have 4 foot on mine and think they stick up a little too high for my taste. You will also need a 90 degree connection for under the antenna to make a neater setup.

Do a search here on the Marshall Mod here on for more information on it.

I hope this helps

Rick F.

I mounted two Firestik antennas on the back of my 89. I did convert the luggage rack to an 87 as they came with the mounts on both sides for the antenna holder. I then ran a separate wire up to the radio and then a separate wire for the CB. This allowed me to remove the spliter that is attached to the CB and run the CB line into it directly. I would recommend the 3 foot Firestik as I have 4 foot on mine and think they stick up a little too high for my taste. You will also need a 90 degree connection for under the antenna to make a neater setup.

Do a search here on the Marshall Mod here on for more information on it.

I hope this helps

Rick F.

I remember seeing the Marshall mod but the link is no longer functional. My 89 has a mount 9n both sides of the rack so I ordered a 2nt antenna mount off ebay for $11 and I was going to use a fire ring mount with a fold over stud.

I used a single 4' firestick on my 87. Used a screw on end and a 90 degree fitting. Tuned it with a SWR. Output range must greater than stock. Better FM reception also. Check clearance of your garage/shed door before going with the 4'. While it may look just a little tall, I am pretty this extends the range.

Edited by OutKast

I used a single 4' firestick on my 87. Used a screw on end and a 90 degree fitting. Tuned it with a SWR. Output range must greater than stock. Better FM reception also. Check clearance of your garage/shed door before going with the 4'. While it may look just a little tall, I am pretty this extends the range.
My bike doesn't see much time inside the garage but I do want the fold over so that I can tarp it when I need.

I purchased my antenna,cables and mounting studs from Walcott Radio in Walcott, Iowa. The are across I-80 from the Worlds Largest Truck Stop, I-80 Truck Stop just outside of the Quad Cities. https://www.walcottradio.com/

They have an antenna fold over adapter that I used for both of my FireStik antennas on my 89. https://www.walcottradio.com/antenna-fold-over-adapter-203ez-p-262.html

If you dont have a CB shop local, which there arent many left, try a local truck stop as they still have CB equipment and accessories on the shelves.

I was able to find shorter length coax that fit on the bike and was easier to hide then the standard 18ft cables. I have not set my SWR yet but then I havent had much need to use the CB yet either.

Hope this helps a bit...

Rick F.

I have several mounts but I just want sure if I needed a no ground plain or if there was enough metal on the bike. I will be putting the whip on the left side of the bike like I do with every car I have ever installed a CB on.

The problem with the left side is it hitting your head when you walk by while it is parked. Like when you dismount and turn to put your helmet in the trunk!

The no ground plain models would probably be a better choice for bikes due to obvious reasons. That being said, I don't know of anybody using that type. Most of us just use the CB for close range communication when on group rides and the standard antennas seem to do fine for our needs.