IGNORED

Monthly JASO Oil List

Du-Rron

This is the URL for JASO that publishes a searchable monthly list of oil manufacturers in PDF format that pass their certification of oils to be rated MA, MB, MA2, etc which is of concern to all that own Motorcycles.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

Does your motorcycle require JASO certified oil? Check this list to see if the brand of oil you want to use is on the list. Want to change oil brands but unsure of its' JASO rating. Check the list.

Maybe a sticky?

Edited by Du-Rron

Yea, it's a strange list. Mobil 1 isn't listed except in Mexico. Amsoil and Royal Purple are neither mentioned. Doesn't seem to be very applicable to North America. At least not north of Mexico.

The JASO organization

http://www.jalos.or.jp/

only published those that had: Paid the fees, and return the confirmation letters. (Starting about 4.6 in the JASO application process). This is at least the 4th month we have not seen ROTELLA on the list because that is how long I have been looking at it. Amsoil and Royal Purple I dunno....

(see below in the 1st pic where it says that, ".. they are publishing only those that have returned their confirmation letter.")

Quicksilver and Yamalube are on the list. Quicksilver mentions in their advertising about companies that advertise JASO compliance but they are not really and I shot a copy of that in the thread where I was going to Quicksilver from Rotella.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?138309-Quicksilver-Oil-10W-40-amp-20W-50-JASO-rated

(see the quicksilver advertisement that mentions companies not really being jaso rated even though they say they are)

jaso.jpg

Qsilverad.jpg

Edited by Du-Rron

As far as quality of motor oils goes, Amsoil is considered by many to the the best in several categories closely followed by Royal Purple Racing Oil.

I used Amsoil for several years on my VStar and never had a clutch slip problem, and a firm believer in using it in the air cooled engines due to the extreme temps here in the South. So, when looking at anyone's list, if Amsoil isn't listed, I discredit the list pretty much immediately. And same holds true with Royal Purple and Mobil.

I use the Rotella T6 due to recommendations here when I first my first RSV and have stayed with it due to the price and it works. Half the cost of Amsoil retail price.

As far as quality of motor oils goes, Amsoil is considered by many to the the best in several categories closely followed by Royal Purple Racing Oil.

I used Amsoil for several years on my VStar and never had a clutch slip problem, and a firm believer in using it in the air cooled engines due to the extreme temps here in the South. So, when looking at anyone's list, if Amsoil isn't listed, I discredit the list pretty much immediately. And same holds true with Royal Purple and Mobil.

I use the Rotella T6 due to recommendations here when I first my first RSV and have stayed with it due to the price and it works. Half the cost of Amsoil retail price.

I be the messenger not the producer. I have used buckets & buckets of T6 over the years but no more in spark ignition engines or my motorcycles. Rotella has changed a bunch lately. Might wanna check it out.

Although I ride a Can Am Spyder now,it calls for Jaso MA2. I looked on all the bottles I have in storage and they all say JASO MA2. Are they?Who knows but if the label says its gotta be there or they risk a liability. I love the price on it right now with the rebate coupon so I guess I will continue to use it. So far no clutch slip on the RT and it has the semi auto clutch (35000 mi) which is very sensitive to oil.

Cowpuc says he uses the cheapest oil he can buy such as the dollar store oil and he runs the heck out of his 83s and 84s up to and over 200k miles. Most of us probably are overly concerned about oil brand and type, including me. My first car was the family 55 chevy 6 cylinder. We changed the oil in that car every 2k miles and it still needed a rebuild at 60k miles due to massive oil burning. I buy brand name oil for everything and change it at 5k on my autos and 2k on my bikes due to concern about the clutch debris and that is probably too often.

Cowpuc says he uses the cheapest oil he can buy such as the dollar store oil and he runs the heck out of his 83s and 84s up to and over 200k miles. Most of us probably are overly concerned about oil brand and type, including me.

True. You can still run Castrol 10W-40 in your bike, (not JASO rated) and change it out every 2k mikes. Because it is now API SN rated and has lowered zinc, phosphate, cheeseburger levels then it did when it was a API SH rated oil. That's the thing... as the oils have gotten better for cars, they have gotten worse for motorcycles. But... the dollar store motor oils... they may only be rated API SJ/CD which would be much better for your bike anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
..... Rotella has changed a bunch lately. Might wanna check it out.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-and-blend-oil/t6-full-synthetic/_jcr_content/par/productDetails.stream/1506811860834/e92750a487ba51ea73920ac535f0c62343d6043f/t6-5w-40.pdf

Rotella T6 5w-40 - If you look at the bottom of the 2nd page it says under

OEM SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS

5W-40

API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, Cummins CES 20086; VolvoVDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification DDC (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MANM3575, JASO MA/ MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31