IGNORED

RSTD linked brakes?

Yep. Generally, I like to drag just my rear brake a little on u-turns. I don't usually on sweepers but I've read that some do like that, too.

But these are heavy bikes, and as the links above point out, between the foot lever and the 4 calipers, you can easily lock up the rear wheel. If the rear end starts passing you, you have a real danger of a high side flip.

On my Moto Guzzi, the floorboard and foot lever were just added on in place where there had been a footpeg before. It was so awkward to use the rear brake I mostly didn't. May have to revisit that habit.

I'll have to think about doing the Butler mod of adding an adjustable metering valve. I can't believe any shop would do that for you - too much liability.

The other popular mod is to put organic brake pads in the rear to reduce the amount of grip that they have on the rotor, and then put HH pads up front to get more grip. At least this is done on the RSVs. Your RSTD has even less weight on the rear tire so the problem may be even worse and may need even more help like the Butler mod.

While I have read the reports by others, I don't recall the rear brake locking up that easy on my RSTD. I am a front braker primarily. Use the rear for slow speed mostly. I would make sure the fluid and master cylinder is clean and flushed out all the way to the caliper and that the caliper moves freely, clean and lubricate all the pivots and linkage, check the return spring on the pedal, all the simple stuff. Rear brakes components are down low with the most exposure to crap coming up off the road. Good time to check clean and service the front brakes, fluid, etc.

In my case, the rear brakes are fresh from the shop. But I've had lockup before and after putting new pads on. I've decided that there is a large measure of operator error - me - at work here, too. I just need to form new braking habits. This is the first bike with unlinked brakes I've had in quite a few years, and one with a lot of braking (not stopping) power in the back. I do get lazy with modern conveniences. If the 50's return I'm screwed!