IGNORED

The Oficial "I Dropped My Bike At Vogel" Thread

86er

O.K................Somebody has say it!

I Dropped My Bike At Vogel!!! :scared:

I was parked across from Dragonrider's cabin and any of you that parked there know that to leave that area, you have to go up a small incline and immediately turn on to the road. In my case it was to the left to head to my campsite.

I started the bike, puy it into 1st; I accelerated the engine, slid the clutch out, and leaned just a little to my left to start the turn. Then the bike jumped into Neutral! Since I was already leaned over for the turn and now had no thrust, all I could do was gently lay it on it's side. :bawling:

Now, the reason that I bring this up is to relate something that we do at another club that I ride with:

1. If you drop your bike, you put $5 in the kitty.

2. If you crash your bike, you put in $10.

The difference is 5mph; under 5 it's a drop, over 5mph, it's a crash! I think that this is something that might be a fun way to help out with the expenses/prize kitty for VentureRider.org!

I just hit the "Donations" button on the top right side of the VR.O Toolbar, and donated $5.00 to the site.

So anybody else want to admit to dropping thier bike this weekend? I know that I'm not the only one!

I Know beside Carbon One - KBran is lean his bike on Grass at musem... I Didnt drop this year, but last year was uphill drop on gravel , with Lina On Back. Don't know if last year count. :rotf::rotf:

You can't tell them that it was last year they may try to charge you interest. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Of course if we do count all three years this is gonna get to be a big group.

Margaret

I Know beside Carbon One - KBran is lean his bike on Grass at musem... I Didnt drop this year, but last year was uphill drop on gravel , with Lina On Back. Don't know if last year count. :rotf::rotf:

Yes I did, hadn't dropped mine in almost a year and now not only once at vogel but twice. The first time was when we were trying to figure out how to park at our cabin and I droped off the asphalt and down it went. Oh well I guess that's $10 for the site.

That is one group that I don't want to be a member of....:beer:

Can not agree more with you

So anybody else want to admit to dropping thier bike this weekend? I know that I'm not the only one!

Almost does not count right. Last year I was very close. Actually Todd I just got it back up when you came to help. Seemed like I was holding it forever, but it must have been only a couple seconds.

Brad

That is one group that I don't want to be a member of....:beer:

Seems to me there're two kinds of RSV riders, those that have dropped their bikes and those that will.

I'm sure glad someone started this thread, though, because I've felt like the Lone Ranger for a long time. I wondered if anyone else had those low-mph-drop-'em-blues AND how in the hell do you get that beast back upright without an Arnold Swar . . . Swartze . . . Arnold What's-His-Name around? I got mine upright one time by myself, but it wasn't fully down for the count--listing about 30 degrees. I always felt that if you couldn't upright your fallen bike, you needed to get a smaller one, but the RSV is worth a little embarrassment, IMHO. Now, what I'd really like to know is, is there a secret, or, do you just wait for the cavalry to show up?

This is a real problem for me as I do a lot of traveling by myself. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Seems to me there're two kinds of RSV riders, those that have dropped their bikes and those that will.

I'm sure glad someone started this thread, though, because I've felt like the Lone Ranger for a long time. I wondered if anyone else had those low-mph-drop-'em-blues AND how in the hell do you get that beast back upright without an Arnold Swar . . . Swartze . . . Arnold What's-His-Name around? I got mine upright one time by myself, but it wasn't fully down for the count--listing about 30 degrees. I always felt that if you couldn't upright your fallen bike, you needed to get a smaller one, but the RSV is worth a little embarrassment, IMHO. Now, what I'd really like to know is, is there a secret, or, do you just wait for the cavalry to show up?

This is a real problem for me as I do a lot of traveling by myself. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It's not really that hard to get it back up if done properly. Get the ride like a pro video and he shows you how. All you do is back up to the bike and roll the handle bars in, grab the passanger rail and the grips on the handlebar and walk it backward. When it is approaching the upright position and you can hold it up start reaching for the kickstand and let it down. If it is on the oppesit side let the kickstand down first and raise it and let it come down on the stand. I'm not that big of a guy and ask Freebird how fast I had mine back up. He said he was getting off to help me and I had it up before he could get off his bike.

.................................................................... Now, what I'd really like to know is, is there a secret, or, do you just wait for the cavalry to show up?

There is a secret..And I've seen a 98 pound woman pick up a full dress Harley.

Make sure the bike is in gear so it can't roll away, and if it's on it's right side, put the kickstand down (you don't want to tip it over onto the other side!).

Put one hand on the near grip and the other on something secure (saddlebag crashbar/passenger grip/etc). Squat down low and put your ass against the seat and take little steps pushing backwards. Don't try to "lift" the bike, just push backwards and it will come up on it's own.

I've righted mine this way (I won't say how often!:rotf:)

Does it count as a drop if you aren't on the bike when it goes over? Was parked precariously on a side hill, putting the trailer on and closed the coupling and was just putting the lock on when she tipped over!?! Of course no damage but a wee bit embarassing.

Make sure the bike is in gear so it can't roll away, and if it's on it's right side, put the kickstand down (you don't want to tip it over onto the other side!).

Yep, put the kick-stand down or suffer the embarrassedment twice!!``:(

Please, don't ask how i know this or who the young lady was.............:no-no-no:

`

Does it count as a drop if you aren't on the bike when it goes over? Was parked precariously on a side hill' date=' putting the trailer on and closed the coupling and was just putting the lock on when she tipped over!?! Of course no damage but a wee bit embarassing.[/quote']

It counts

Sheeze some things guys do to not being in the club.

:rotf::rotf:

First time I dropped mine I was coming out of a relatively steep driveway and had to come to a full stop with the front wheel on the level sidewalk. Suddenly my legs were 3 inches too short to touch ground and over we went.

You guys are just trying to make me feel better aren't ya? And not the only dropee while there. :rasberry: :whistling:Seeing as I dropped mine big time at Vogel. :headache:

Yea these things have a mind of their own at times. And once you get to a certain point there's no going back either.

Larry

You guys are just trying to make me feel better aren't ya? And not the only dropee while there. :rasberry: :whistling:Seeing as I dropped mine big time at Vogel. :headache:

Yea these things have a mind of their own at times. And once you get to a certain point there's no going back either.

Larry

Larry, Before going to Vogel I had some Harley friends riding to Branson, MO. and a couple of dogs were chasing a goat across Interstate 55 north here in Mississippi. There were 5 bikes in the group and the rear bike was pulling a trailer. When everyone hit their brakes for the animals the bike with the trailer ridden by my friend Steve and his wife locked up only his back brake, the trailer pushed the bike sideways into the rear floor board of my other friends bike, luckily his wife had her feet on higher pegs and did not get hurt. Steve's bike low sided to the right and then flipped over onto the left side as yours did. Steve suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung and his wife has head trauma and doesn't remember the accident or a week later and yes they spent over a week in Memphis hospital. His Harley Ultra is in a lot worse shape than your Venture is in. I went over there tonight to help them strip it down and there is a lot of unseen damage before the dismantle. He says he wants to sell his trailer now once it is repaired and won't tow another one again. I tow and told him that you just have to allow for extra reaction times when doing so. I have towed over 400 lbs in mine with no problems at all. We are praying for your family as well as his and hope you all a speedy recovery my friend! Best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Mean Dog

As long as drops at past Vogels or any other time,DONT count, no retroacitve here, I will participate. If I had to pay for all the past drops, I wouldnt be able to go and pick up my new ride on Friday..................:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

I will post pics, I promise.........I also think that a picture should accompany the donation so we can post the money making ventures.............no pun intended....:rotf::rotf:

Larry, Before going to Vogel I had some Harley friends riding to Branson, MO. and a couple of dogs were chasing a goat across Interstate 55 north here in Mississippi. There were 5 bikes in the group and the rear bike was pulling a trailer. When everyone hit their brakes for the animals the bike with the trailer ridden by my friend Steve and his wife locked up only his back brake, the trailer pushed the bike sideways into the rear floor board of my other friends bike, luckily his wife had her feet on higher pegs and did not get hurt. Steve's bike low sided to the right and then flipped over onto the left side as yours did. Steve suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung and his wife has head trauma and doesn't remember the accident or a week later and yes they spent over a week in Memphis hospital. His Harley Ultra is in a lot worse shape than your Venture is in. I went over there tonight to help them strip it down and there is a lot of unseen damage before the dismantle. He says he wants to sell his trailer now once it is repaired and won't tow another one again. I tow and told him that you just have to allow for extra reaction times when doing so. I have towed over 400 lbs in mine with no problems at all. We are praying for your family as well as his and hope you all a speedy recovery my friend! Best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Mean Dog

Sorry to hear of your friends accident as well Dog. I will pray that they too will have a speedy and full recovery from their accident. Keep us up to date on them.

As much as I hated to have taken the fall I know very well how lucky Joyce & I were to have gotten away with so little damage to us. Our guardian angels were with us for sure that day.

Please be carefull as possible out there folks. We need not add others from our membership to the list of fallen.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Ok OK OK i dont know if this is consideed a drop but..... In PA over the Labor day weekend. We were in a tight parking spot. My Wife asked me "do you want me to wait till you get pulled out (no jokes here). I said (being the 6'1 220 lb tough guy that I am) No you can get on. So i started out and hard to make a slow speed hard left turn. When i turned the wheel left ...there she started leaning and falling. It took everthing i had but all I could do was let it slowly lean over until it rested on the crash bar. No boby got hurt and luckly some guy came over and gave us a hand lifting it back up. No damage except to my pride. Man this is one top heavy mother. esp. with 2 up.

Yes I did, hadn't dropped mine in almost a year and now not only once at vogel but twice. The first time was when we were trying to figure out how to park at our cabin and I droped off the asphalt and down it went. Oh well I guess that's $10 for the site.

I just hit the donate button for my drops. Sorry it took so long.