IGNORED

Does Anyone Use a Kriss Starlight Driving Light Module with LED Bulbs?

Bob K.

I installed a Kriss Starlight Driving Light Module years ago. It's designed to dim driving lights so that one can use high wattage bulbs and not blind oncoming traffic. I used it for years with standard halogen bulbs in my Motolights.

I recently switched to LED bulbs (550 lumens, 7watts each). They run at full power just fine, but they don't dim. Instead, they wig-wag back and forth just like police lights. :cool:

Anyone face the same thing and have a solution?

HID can not be used with a modulator. LED take a different modulator than the old school for halogens. Check out KRISS or any of the folks that have modulators for headlights.

The Kriss Starlight Driving Light Module controls and dims my Motolight driving lights, not my headlight. It's designed to dim, no modulate. I have a Signal Dynamics module filling that function.

Most LED headlights / driving lights are not dimable. The Actual LED element runs off of around 3.5 volts. So there is a voltage regulator built into each bulb to take your 12V and drop it down to the 3.5 that the LED needs. If you lower the input voltage from 12V with a dimmer, the regulator will maintain the 3.5 to the LED as long as you have more than about 5 volts input. If you drop to less than the threshold of the regulator, it will most likely just turn off. You need LEDs that are designed to be dimable.