IGNORED

Star venture exhaust

I haven't seen any yet but haven't really looked either. On my RSV's, I went with louder mufflers. I've tried Samson, Harley, Bubs, and Khromewerks. I think the Khromewerks were the highest quality of any of them. In the end though, the noise started getting to me and I ended up going back to stock mufflers.

I actually like the sound of the stock mufflers on the '18. I have no plans to change mine. I'm sure that if there are not some already out there, there will be soon. I wouldn't expect a lot of choices though. The aftermarket doesn't seem to come out with a lot of accessories and/or performance goodies for the Yamahas.

I haven't seen any yet but haven't really looked either. On my RSV's, I went with louder mufflers. I've tried Samson, Harley, Bubs, and Khromewerks. I think the Khromewerks were the highest quality of any of them. In the end though, the noise started getting to me and I ended up going back to stock mufflers.

I actually like the sound of the stock mufflers on the '18. I have no plans to change mine. I'm sure that if there are not some already out there, there will be soon. I wouldn't expect a lot of choices though. The aftermarket doesn't seem to come out with a lot of accessories and/or performance goodies for the Yamahas.

I had contacted Vance & Hines and Cobra directly. They have no plans at this time of producing anything for the New Venture.

The issue is that the Catalytic converters are in the muffler slip on portion. I did see a video online of someone showing detailed instructions on how to “drill out” the baffles, but I don’t think it needs it.

Yhey sound on this bike actually “matures” over a few thousand miles and actually becomes a bit deeper and a touch louder.

Its a very pleasant note that is not intrusive or causes “ringing or droning” in your ears after many hours of riding..

My advice is to WAIT until you have about 5k miles in it BEGORE you make that decision. Give it a chance to “burn in” and the sound to mature.

Thats just my 2 cents. I agree with Don on this one.

I had contacted Vance & Hines and Cobra directly. They have no plans at this time of producing anything for the New Venture.

The issue is that the Catalytic converters are in the muffler slip on portion. I did see a video online of someone showing detailed instructions on how to “drill out” the baffles, but I don’t think it needs it.

Yhey sound on this bike actually “matures” over a few thousand miles and actually becomes a bit deeper and a touch louder.

Its a very pleasant note that is not intrusive or causes “ringing or droning” in your ears after many hours of riding..

My advice is to WAIT until you have about 5k miles in it BEGORE you make that decision. Give it a chance to “burn in” and the sound to mature.

Thats just my 2 cents. I agree with Don on this one.

I thought that might be the case since the market isn't that big. I had a Triumph Rocket 3 bike with aftermarket exhaust before this bike and even though the star has far less power it makes up for it in many other ways. My only problem is getting used to the different RPm range and the lack of noise know when to shift. I am getting a lot better as I put on the miles and the lack of noise is nice when I do long rides.

Thanks for the info

Trapper23

Thats kind of where Harley got in trouble with EPA. They had cats in mufflers and were selling mufflers over the counter before an owner even put tags on bike. Thus doing away with emissions. Chances are if the mufflers have cats, you got what you got. Unless you modify them your self. I have not taken a good look at the OEM yet. On the Victory Cross bikes they are round and just the rite size to put a glass pack type muffler inside.

I remember Harley getting in trouble with the EPA over this issue but the mufflers are still readily available and even on sale and prominently display at most Harley dealers. Of course, now that they no longer put the CATS in the mufflers, I suppose that is their way around it. Putting them in the head pipe though didn't slow anybody down. When I had my '13 Road Glide, replacement head pipes were readily available with the CATS removed.

A lot of folks me included have drilled out the baffle ends on the exhaust. Just a little bit of increase in volume on idle but you can actually hear the exhaust when accelerating. All is needed is a 1 1/2" hole saw with a 12" extension and I used a shop vac to suck out the ends after cutting them. The right side baffle is solid and the left side has a whole in it. I like it like this.

You are correct Don. The hang up that got them was they (dealers) were doing the non-cat mufflers as a "dealer installed" accessories. Not saying they cant do the head pipes, but it's not a "dealer authorized and warrantied" add on.

• 2 months later...
I am hoping that someone has found exhaust pipes that make a little more noise. I just can't get used to driving with the lack of noise.i seem to try to over rev the engine!!!

@Trapper23 You can check out our new exhaust made specifically for these bikes. The exhaust is brand new and so I only have chrome pictures available right now and so you will notice the "black" listing is of a chrome muffler. We are working on some sound clips and performance numbers etc. in the coming weeks, but just thought I'd put this out there for others who are also in search of a good pipe for your bikes. While this is our first Yamaha product, we encourage you to check out our reviews on other products to learn what we are about.

The forum will not let me post a link as we are new and don't have enough posts yet, but just a quick google search for TAB Performance will get you there. Then you just click the Yamaha heading at the top of the page.

Trapper23 You can check out our new exhaust made specifically for these bikes. The exhaust is brand new and so I only have chrome pictures available right now and so you will notice the "black" listing is of a chrome muffler. We are working on some sound clips and performance numbers etc. in the coming weeks, but just thought I'd put this out there for others who are also in search of a good pipe for your bikes. While this is our first Yamaha product, we encourage you to check out our reviews on other products to learn what we are about.

The forum will not let me post a link as we are new and don't have enough posts yet, but just a quick google search for TAB Performance will get you there. Then you just click the Yamaha heading at the top of the page.

Thanks TAB, will do. I hope it’s not too long before you have some sound clips of them on the new Venture.

Trapper23 You can check out our new exhaust made specifically for these bikes. ...

Talk with Freebird about being a vendor on here. I think that trial members have certain restrictions. Membership ($12/yr) allows you to post links, classifieds.

Talk with Freebird about being a vendor on here. I think that trial members have certain restrictions. Membership ($12/yr) allows you to post links, classifieds.

Thank you, we will certainly have to look into that, we just figured it would be good to get the word out to the groups sooner than later. Excited to get to know the Yamaha community a little better.