IGNORED

New To Me 2009 RSV

jeromeb

Purchased this RSV in August. Had less than 19,000 miles on the odometer. It needed a few items looked after, rear brakes, oil and filter. It had some slip on's that were on the loud side. A pair of stock Harley Ultra mufflers took care of that. Nice mellow sound that wont get me barred from the neighborhood. It's been fun and daunting getting the feel of a powerful bike under my butt again. Daunting because this is one heavy machine.

I sold my last bike, a 1976 Goldwing in 1983. I'm a 75 yr old return rider who is practicing slow speed maneuvers hoping not to drop it. So far I've been no farther than approx 150 mile radius of home. Between super hot weather and monsoons have kept it in the garage. I'n anxious to lay down some miles this month.

IMG_20180803_143106163.jpg

Welcome to Ventureriders, I have relatives in the Cantonment area maybe when we are visiting we can set up a meet and eat somewhere. have fun those are great bikes.

I'll be looking forward to your visit whenever that might be.

Good looking bike, congrats.

Slow speed maneuvers remember to trail brake with the foot pedal, clutch control and throttle control, watch some ride like a pro videos and practice. The bike can do it, she does not like it very much.

10-4, right on it. Ride like a pro and MC Rider. Wife wont ride with me until I pass her road test course. (more stringent that the state qualification exam):D:D

I said the same thing when I saw your pic's

My 09 will only be the silver/black for the rest of this week. Then I will be putting both bikes on jacks and swapping out all the painted parts (what we used to call tins). And in a couple weeks, it will be HOK Voodoo Violet Kandy. :) The 99 will then be silver/black and will be selling it in the upcoming months. Still a great bike and runs fantastic. The only thing wrong with the 99 is a small tear in the right front edge of drivers seat. I keep it covered with a fresh piece of black Gorilla tape.

Happy riding and be careful on those slow rolling turns. This bike is a little heavy feeling on the front end in those turns. My 99 is lowered 3/4" at the forks and running 130-90s on the front and that seems to help some. I am going to set the 09 up the same way during all the swap over.

My 09 will only be the silver/black for the rest of this week. Then I will be putting both bikes on jacks and swapping out all the painted parts (what we used to call tins). And in a couple weeks, it will be HOK Voodoo Violet Kandy. :) The 99 will then be silver/black and will be selling it in the upcoming months. Still a great bike and runs fantastic. The only thing wrong with the 99 is a small tear in the right front edge of drivers seat. I keep it covered with a fresh piece of black Gorilla tape.

Happy riding and be careful on those slow rolling turns. This bike is a little heavy feeling on the front end in those turns. My 99 is lowered 3/4" at the forks and running 130-90s on the front and that seems to help some. I am going to set the 09 up the same way during all the swap over.

My wife said it has to have a name. All of my toys are named including rv, truck that pulls it and boat. My last name is Jefferson, the bike is a Star. So, "Jefferson Starship". Looking forward to explore the galaxy.

Purchased this RSV in August. Had less than 19,000 miles on the odometer. It needed a few items looked after, rear brakes, oil and filter. It had some slip on's that were on the loud side. A pair of stock Harley Ultra mufflers took care of that. Nice mellow sound that wont get me barred from the neighborhood. It's been fun and daunting getting the feel of a powerful bike under my butt again. Daunting because this is one heavy machine.

I sold my last bike, a 1976 Goldwing in 1983. I'm a 75 yr old return rider who is practicing slow speed maneuvers hoping not to drop it. So far I've been no farther than approx 150 mile radius of home. Between super hot weather and monsoons have kept it in the garage. I'n anxious to lay down some miles this month.

My wife said it has to have a name. All of my toys are named including rv, truck that pulls it and boat. My last name is Jefferson, the bike is a Star. So, "Jefferson Starship". Looking forward to explore the galaxy.

Hi Jeromeb and WELCOME!!!! Love your scoot brother and LOVE the pic of the three of you getting ready to go out and CTFW (that was a dearly departed close friend of ours named Yammer Dan's way of saying Chase That Front Wheel)!! GORGEOUS PICTURE = THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!

Just an FYI on the RSV slow speed handling techniques and that all that from an ol wanna be,,,, there has been a fair amount of tinkering/adjustin happened around this joint concerning both setting up the bike and ride methods by some of the best of the best IMHO... My wife Tip and I had the pleasure of riding one of those finally tuned machines (as shown in the video below) and were very well pleased with it's capabilities - the vid was done 2 up and still loaded down for touring.. This bike belonged to a lop eared varmint named @videoarizona who stopped in and spent a few days with us here in Michigan.. "VAz" (that's what I call David/VideoArizona) has spent a fair amount of time setting up his scoot and I am sure,, like many other lop eared varmints on the site, he would be more than happy to share his experience in setting his scoot up..

Glad to see you folks naming your bike brother!! THAT is something I have personally pushed for years around this joint as I still think our bikes have feelings too and no bike with feelings wants to be known as just "bike" ,,, that's just not right!!!!

Puc

Might be counter to what some say but....I find going too slow makes it harder to do the tight "slow" speed maneuvers. Going slow straight....I'll work clutch/throttle/rear brake...but doing a u-turn I'll try to have a bit of pace going into it. Think of u-turns as just two sharp turns in one. A tight 180 degree turn/road.... Easier to make the turn with some pace/speed.

If you are talking tight (little room) maneuvers remember that working the rear brake/throttle will want to keep you straight up and take away any lean you may have into the turn.

Other thing to do is to not over-think it. You'll find the bikes feel "lighter" as you get experience. Some have gone to narrower front wheels but this impacts your long distance riding. I can't comment on lowering kits.

If you are practicing, one thing you can do is use some pipe insulation on the guards to prevent/reduce scratches/scrapes.

Look in the area for a mid-level motorcycle class. Been a long time and it's a heavy bike to steer slow. More so, two up.

I took an "Experienced Rider" course last May. It was just a one day parking lot course but worth the $99.

Looks like you are tall enough and do not need it lowered, great.

You are in Florida so,, you can ride all year and put a lot of miles. And,, guessing you are retired. Ride a lot,,, then invite your wife.

Oh,,, when you do ride two up, unless you got LONG legs, you'll find that the passenger floor boards will bite your calves at a stop like a nasty little dog.

Practice with them down some so you know what to expect.

Just an FYI on the RSV slow speed handling techniques and that all that from an ol wanna be,,,, there has been a fair amount of tinkering/adjustin happened around this joint concerning both setting up the bike and ride methods by some of the best of the best IMHO... My wife Tip and I had the pleasure of riding one of those finally tuned machines (as shown in the video below) and were very well pleased with it's capabilities.....

We need a special library for cowpuc videos. :)

Enjoyed your parking lot slow rolling, and I agree. I have very little issues with either of the 2 bikes I have slow rolling in the parking lot. I have noticed a significant difference between a 2nd Gen and a Road King in doing a quick u-turn on the 2 lane highway. If you don't feather the clutch/rear brake just right, the 2nd Gen (when I am in control) has a little more tendency to have that feeling that it wants to take a nose dive, where as the Road King doesn't. I am a computer programmer and all those how comes are distant to me, but maybe it has something to do with center of gravity or something.

And yes, I do have to do u-turns fairly often in setting up intersections during all these charity rides. The 2nd Gen's turning radius is good enough to handle it, but it does make my backside pucker up at times.

The Ultra Classic must not be very good at these turns, not sure. But I have seen an awful lot of those guys put them on the concrete/pavement in the past few years. And it may just be a case of weekend riders and usage of front brakes. When it happens, it's almost always a HD Ultra Classic.

We need a special library for cowpuc videos. :)

besues with either of the 2 bikes I have slow rolling in the parking lot.

Thanks Larry :big-grin-emoticon:,,, :lightbulb:we could name the section "ride like a wannabe" :225:..

Here is another one that may fit the discussion here.. :178:

Thanks Larry :big-grin-emoticon:,,, :lightbulb:we could name the section "ride like a wannabe" :225:.

Ride like a BOSS would be more like it. :big-grin-emoticon:

Good thing you were in your nice flat front yard instead of my very undulated yard.

Would so love to get up the Muskegon area some day. I have an old USCG shipmate that lives there. He visits me from time to time and I owe him at least one. He has a nice flat farm somewhere just outside Muskegon.

But seriously, love every one of your's and your bride's videos.

Now, get out and ride!!!

• 1 year later...