IGNORED

Noise after oil change

I bought my SVTC and rode it home 850 miles. I changed the oil and started it up, went about two blocks and stopped at a stop sign. I then heard what best I can describe is a spun bearing sound, metal to metal spinning for a few seconds and it went completely away. That was 5 weeks ago and it never returned until today...I hit 4,000 miles today and changed my oil, I went about two blocks and was in second gear when I heard the same sound again for a few seconds. Any thoughts on what it could be? Clutch maybe? I would take it in but you can not replicate it. Maybe the oil change is unrelated but I doubt it.

--

No technical response here, but could you have put the wrong amounts of oil in either the engine or tank? I don't know why the sound would be timed so identically. Either that or for some reason your pump might have lost prime and some parts were run dry for a few moments.

--

I'll admit that is a bit disconcerting. Sure sounds like it has something to do with changing the oil.

I haven't changed mine yet and haven't looked at the service manual for the correct procedure. I've gotten mixed explanations about what should be a simple thing. I saw a post here about having to add oil in a couple of different places and then waiting a certain amount of time and adding more and etc.

The service technician where I bought my bike told me that though there are three plugs that have to be removed to drain the oil, you can add all the new oil to the main fill reservoir. He seemed bright and knowledgeable but I'll study it and do it however the manual specifies.

I did look a the manual and it absolutely says to add the oil in the crankcase and then the oil tank. So, that is what I will do. It also says to run it several minutes and then check again but that has always been routine for any oil change that I've done. It all seems simple enough.

Hope the noise you are hearing is nothing major.

You should install new oil in both the crankcase and tank. Start the engine and let it idle for several minutes to ensure no air is trapped in pumps or lines.

If there was some air trapped it would make some noise but not sure what kind of noise. There is about 1 quart of old oil left in system when oil is changed so air should be minimal.

Grinding noise does not sound good. I would talk to dealer service dept about noise so they are aware of it.

I bought my SVTC and rode it home 850 miles. I changed the oil and started it up, went about two blocks and stopped at a stop sign. I then heard what best I can describe is a spun bearing sound, metal to metal spinning for a few seconds and it went completely away. That was 5 weeks ago and it never returned until today...I hit 4,000 miles today and changed my oil, I went about two blocks and was in second gear when I heard the same sound again for a few seconds. Any thoughts on what it could be? Clutch maybe? I would take it in but you can not replicate it. Maybe the oil change is unrelated but I doubt it.

First, what kind of oil are you running. Second, with an oil filter change as well, you will add almost 6qts of fresh oil. A littlle over 2 to the crankcase and the rest to the oil reservoir. The specific amounts are in your owners manual as well as the service manual.

First, what kind of oil are you running. Second, with an oil filter change as well, you will add almost 6qts of fresh oil. A littlle over 2 to the crankcase and the rest to the oil reservoir. The specific amounts are in your owners manual as well as the service manual.

The first change used Valvoline Motorcycle oil 10/40, the second used Valvoline 10/40 and 20/50 (1/2 and 1/2). I put 2 qts in the crankcase and 3.6 qts in the tank.

Bike sat for about 36 hours. I started it up today, went about 2 blocks and heard it again but only for a split second this time. I do think it is something oil related. I'm just gonna ride it. I have 5 years before I have to worry about paying for it if it does eat itself. No trailer install for me though, at least not until I trust it enough.

Thinking about what to buy if my 89VR dies, and reading this thread, I am very worried!!

Is this the first year for the new air cooled V-Twin?

I believe it is a first year design and I know of a few failures but there is also a lot that has no issues. I now have a little over 4,000 miles and it runs great. I don't know what is making the noise but hopefully, it is something minor. Yamaha is giving this a 5 year warranty so I'm not going to worry about it. The only issue that bothers me is that I pull a trailer and now will not because I dont kow what is making the noise and dont want to give Yamaha a reason to deny coverage.

Thinking about what to buy if my 89VR dies, and reading this thread, I am very worried!!

Is this the first year for the new air cooled V-Twin?

You really needn’t worry. Yamaha would not have offered a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty if they were gonna be on the hook for lots of repairs. Something a lot of people don’t know is that you can have that warranty extended for 4 more years for a total coverage of 9 years! To me, that says they back their product for sure.

Yes, I had an issue in the beginning, but they took care of it and I now have 13,500 miles on mine. As with any new release model, it can have issues pop up, but it doesn’t seem to be any more than any other Yamaha models previously. It’s just that this one is getting a lot of scrutiny. There are a lot of SVTC owners who’ve not had any problems AND Long Haul Paul is now racking up the miles on one of his own.

Trust me when I say, this is the best touring bike I’ve ever owned. Even Freebird is really enjoying his!

I agree that it's a fantastic bike. I'm not worried about any issues as the warranty will take care of it should they pop up. Like any mechanical equipment, there will be an occasional issue but I've read of very very few. This bike has everything I could ask for in a new bike and is an absolute joy to ride.