IGNORED

Emergency Start

--

I'll throw out an addition to that. I'm somewhat anal in that I've lost a key to a car, house, or vehicle enough times during the years that I always hide one. For my bike I've taped a spare key and start instructions to the inside of my right panel where the shock adjuster is. It can be opened without tools, won't fall off, and isn't likely to be found by someone poking around.

--

--

I'll throw out an addition to that. I'm somewhat anal in that I've lost a key to a car, house, or vehicle enough times during the years that I always hide one. For my bike I've taped a spare key and start instructions to the inside of my right panel where the shock adjuster is. It can be opened without tools, won't fall off, and isn't likely to be found by someone poking around.

--

I taped mine under the left glove box lid. I like your area better. The key is useless for starting the bike so it doesn't matter a lot if found but I will be moving mine to your area.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Unless your saddlebag is locked. If you lose your key and the bags are locked, how would you get to the emergency starting procedure without the key? That's also why I will be writing down or memorizing that code. With my memory lately, writing it down somewhere and keeping it in my wallet is the best option. Probably just write in on the YES card that I will keep in my wallet as soon as I get it laminated.

Unless your saddlebag is locked. If you lose your key and the bags are locked, how would you get to the emergency starting procedure without the key? That's also why I will be writing down or memorizing that code. With my memory lately, writing it down somewhere and keeping it in my wallet is the best option. Probably just write in on the YES card that I will keep in my wallet as soon as I get it laminated.

--

Did you read my post? I said you can access the side panel without tools (or key). I also said I taped the key and start instructions there. I would not want to put it in my wallet as I have misplaced my wallet on occasion. Thank god my mind is attached.

--

Yes, I did read it. My response was really not meant for you, just a general thought about us needing to keep the key in such a place as you that is accessible and not in a locked trunk or something. I should have been more clear but it is also why I didn't "quote" your post in my response.

--

--

Not a bad idea Ron. The bike comes with ONE key fob but TWO emergency keys. One is locked into the fob and the other can be stored away as you’ve stated.

Yes, I did read it. My response was really not meant for you, just a general thought about us needing to keep the key in such a place as you that is accessible and not in a locked trunk or something. I should have been more clear but it is also why I didn't "quote" your post in my response.

--

Just to remind you, we're keeping our eyes on you. Keep your hands out of the tips jar!

--

I actually like the idea of putting it behind the right cover. Easy to take on and off but not nearly as likely to be stumbled upon as the side compartments. May or may not put the code there also though. Not sure I want them both in the same place. On the other hand, very few people would know what it meant our how to do it.