IGNORED

Engine Compatibllity

Does anyone know if you can use the 4XY-15100-20-00 (2004-2013) to replace the 4XY-15100-20-00 (1999-2003)? I blew cracked a head and today I found my motor seized up...YEAH! Looking to get another motor since I have 54000 on this one lugging around a side car for 50k of it.

1999 Royal Star Venture

Thanks for the responses!

Ed

Edited by ecornish
I can't spell!!

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure you are getting an engine from either a 1999-2013 Royal Star Venture or 2005-2009 Royal Star Tour Deluxe should also work. The NON Venture and pre 2005 Royal star V4 engines have less horsepower and no counter balancer. Verify the donor bike of the used engine you are buying. Pinwall Cycles typically has the VIN numbers, mileage and video's of the bikes with engines running before they are disassembled.

:think: I know it can/does/will happen to any/all internal combustion engine breeds at times but,,, being an odd sort of lop eared varmint who has been around some fairly over tortured, second gear missing, over revved, beat to death, oil covered high mileage Yamaha V-4's in both the Ventures and the V-Max's but I gotta say,,,,,,,,,,, I dont recall ever hearing of one that actually came unglued :178:,,,, 1st time for everything I reckon:Cartoon_397:

At any rate it would be interesting to know too if an earlier Mk1/Mk2 engine would bolt up... I know a V-Max engine has different heads/pipe arrangement and the height that the intake with the V-Boost adds would also be an issue..

All the very best in finding a new engine and swapping it in our brother of wrench @ecornish !:happy34:

Well Cowpuc this scooter has been pulling around a sidecar for 55k and old girl is tired! She made some bad noises and now won’t turn over even under flintstone power rear wheel just slides! It was having some gearbox issues anyway so I’m gonna just change the motor/gearbox and skip the rebuild! But thanks for your input and I will post a follow up once I get the new motor in place!

Well Cowpuc this scooter has been pulling around a sidecar for 55k and old girl is tired! She made some bad noises and now won’t turn over even under flintstone power rear wheel just slides! It was having some gearbox issues anyway so I’m gonna just change the motor/gearbox and skip the rebuild! But thanks for your input and I will post a follow up once I get the new motor in place!

I totally get cha brother and in no way was doubting your adVenture with the engine (hope it didnt sound like I was,,, far be from me to judge anothers journey!! I apologize if I came across like that!) - it just caught me off guard hearing of a V-4 Yam actually gone kaput...

Gotta admit though, I thought I did my 83 in a while back when we hit one of those ickspressway heat bump/jumps doing about 80 mph - landed it ok but it sounded like I took out a tranny in the process (constant kathumping happening internally).. Ended up being that I tweeked a u-joint fairly severely (actually cracked one of the journals that a u-joint bearing rides on).. I seriously thought Tweeksis was done as I,, similar to you other than I dont swap engines - I swap bikes, thought it was over but curiousity got the best of me so I decided she was at least worth a tear down as far as I could without pulling a motor just to see if I could see anything... Video shows what I discovered = 8 dollar u-joint and smooth as glass again (knock on wood - only got about 20 miles on it since I finished the job)..

Maybe in the process of pulling the motor,, get the engine on a bench and get curious like I did you will remove a stator cover or something and discover its something simple... Ya never know... On the same token though,,, it will be interesting to hear what you come up with for a motor,,,,,,, as many bummer accidents that we hear about these days it seems like a good parts engine should not be to hard to find... Might not be a bad idea to drain your carbs and then refill the bowls with seafoam and then redrain them so they dont go south on ya while your looking for a motor. I think I would also seal off the air box so no mice can get in there and pee into the carbs and cause corrostion..

If I hear of any engines for sale I will gladly pass on the info!!

Puc

Didn't take offense at all! And knowing that these bad boys are basically bullet proof for the most part makes me happy to know I bought a good one! With my issue it is something that may just be an anomaly which has been know to happen!HA! I think when I get old girl back on the road I am going to be a happy rider again and the kids too!

Thanks for your input on the RSV and keep them coming!

Ed

"Porkchop"

• 4 months later...
:think: I know it can/does/will happen to any/all internal combustion engine breeds at times but,,, being an odd sort of lop eared varmint who has been around some fairly over tortured, second gear missing, over revved, beat to death, oil covered high mileage Yamaha V-4's in both the Ventures and the V-Max's but I gotta say,,,,,,,,,,, I dont recall ever hearing of one that actually came unglued :178:,,,, 1st time for everything I reckon:Cartoon_397:

At any rate it would be interesting to know too if an earlier Mk1/Mk2 engine would bolt up... I know a V-Max engine has different heads/pipe arrangement and the height that the intake with the V-Boost adds would also be an issue..

All the very best in finding a new engine and swapping it in our brother of wrench ecornish !:happy34:

I too have never heard of one cratering. Not saying they won’t. I’ve put over 150k on two of the gen two’s and two of the gen ones. Didn’t even use any oil. Good luck with the engine swap. And yes they will interchange.

Bill

My hat's off to you for the engine swap. I'm not even talking about the peripherals like exhaust, carburetors etc. I am talking about once unbolted, actually pulling the engine then fitting the new one and getting it lined up with the bolt holes.

I did an engine swap on a Vstar 1100 a few years back by myself. I thought that engine was ridicously heavy, but I don't think it is anywhere near as heavy as the RSV engine. I used a bike jack with several different wood block combinations before I could get things lined up. Started a 4:00PM with a complete bike. Stripped everything off, swapped engines and was back together and running just before midnight. I'm sure that wouldn't have been the case with a 1300 RSV engine swap.

You done good!