IGNORED

Buying a 1999 Venture need advice about ticking noise in valve train

I am looking at buying a mint condition 1999 Venture with 24k on it. It has a valve ticking and noise, the owner has done the basic maintance but not the 26k service. He has added a new rear shock and other accessories and is asking 3700.00 for the bike. The valve service is 600.00 here in Houston. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks

I am looking at buying a mint condition 1999 Venture with 24k on it. It has a valve ticking and noise, the owner has done the basic maintance but not the 26k service. He has added a new rear shock and other accessories and is asking 3700.00 for the bike. The valve service is 600.00 here in Houston. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks
Very few need the valve shims done at 26000. Without hearing your noise it's hard to say if its normal valve train noise or not. They all have some valve noise. You may also be hearing clutch noise.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Recently purchased an 09 that had what I considered to be excessive rattling/ticking. Checked carbs and they were way out. Synced them and noise gone.

I did mine at like 30k and adjustment were not in the "required" area. But I took everything to the high end so I had lots of room for wear. Another one I measured for for a fellow had 36k and they were with in limits. So I would not panic. You probably have at least 10k before you need to worry about it. By then you can do it yourself maybe.

I recently did mine on the exact same bike (1999) with the almost the exact same miles. They weren't way off but since I was inside I went ahead and did them. All of the intake were out of spec and none of the exhaust were out of spec. I'm guessing that I'll need to do the exhaust at the next check. The service manual does suggest checking them around 24000 miles. As the shims wear the tolerance actually gets tighter not looser so I'm not sure that that would cause any ticking from the cam. Not a super hard job if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. There are some great links on this site that will walk you through the process. Requires one special tool that you can get from your dealer or online. Good luck.

It might just be normal engine sounds. If you know of someone close to you that you can hear what theirs sounds like that might help. Also, what weight oil and type could make a difference. Normal oil weight should be 15W-45 but depending on your climate you may want to go up a little say to a 20W50. Ideally, you want to use an oil designed for motorcycle engines with a wet clutch. No automotive oils or any oils with friction modifiers. Some of us use Diesel engine oil with good results, cheaper than Yamalube, etc.

Also, as mentioned, carb sync can sometimes cause strange noises kind of like a spark knock or sputter...

To the OP, Ticking could be a miss or arcing at the plug wire or exhaust leak.

Graywulf, You can also read ad nauseum about Filters, Oils, viscosity index, the various SAE and JASO Specs, additive packages, long chain polymers, shear, etc at bobistheoilguy.com actually a very informative site. I have run the dino rotella 15W40 and the Full synthetic rotella 5-40 Diesel oils in the RSTD. These motors will out last most peoples ownership on any good quality motorcycle rated engine engine oil.

Ok thanks for that Bongo, I was a bit 'surprised' as I remember a discussion some time ago, elsewhere, when Diesel motor oil was mooted as not having a high enough 'shear factor' for combined {engine/gearbox} sump motors.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with BongoBob on this one. My first Venture was an '83... same basic motor... and it had 'noises'... I changed the oil and went to Valvoline MC 20-50. Holy Rat Feathers Batman, talk about quieting a motor down. She sounded like what I thought was a new engine.... I run heavier weight Rotella in all my cars and bikes now...

Edited by Condor

I have a comment on the article. The lower ZDDP may not be detrimental to auto engines because almost all have roller cams or roller rockers reducing the friction on the camshaft. If current auto oils are used in a remanufactured flat tappet cam engine during breakin, the cam will be destroyed. This leads me to believe that auto oils should not be used in our old motorcycle engines. Or at least I ain't using it in my motorcycles.