IGNORED

Insurance help specifically NC

Kretz

My nephew recently moved from the UK to Raleigh NC. Yes just in time to meet Florence!

He's 30+ has driven in the UK for around 13+ years, has driven in the US on extended vacations & he's undertaken additional training, he knows how to drive.

He wanted to buy a Golf R, but looks like insurance is going to kill the deal. He's looked at dozens of insurance companies but the cheapest deal he can find is $450 a month!!! I'm assuming the silly cost is due to him not having a US driving history & the type of car.

Apart from downgrading the vehicle, can anyone offer any help & or advice??

Thanks in advance.

Can he prove he has had a driver's license in the UK for an extended period of time? If they consider you a beginner, the rate will be as high as a teenager no matter your age. I had to pay the high rate for my wife who is from Russia. But Nationwide Ins. did give her credit from the day she got her Russian license just before coming over in the 3 year count. $450/month sounds outrageous anyway.

Can he prove he has had a driver's license in the UK for an extended period of time? If they consider you a beginner, the rate will be as high as a teenager no matter your age. I had to pay the high rate for my wife who is from Russia. But Nationwide Ins. did give her credit from the day she got her Russian license just before coming over in the 3 year count. $450/month sounds outrageous anyway.

Thanks for your reply! Yes he can prove his UK experience, but his new US (NC) licence is only a week old, I've passed on your comment thanks again!

I had a similar situation over 20 years ago. Sometime around 1991, I went to work for a company that provided me with a nice company car. I worked for them for about 14 years. I sold my personal car as I was allowed to use the company car as my personal car also. After more than 10 years of driving the company car, I got tired of the nice but rather boring cars that they provided me with so asked them for a car allowance to provide my own car. They agreed to that. So I went car shopping and picked what I wanted only to find out that getting insurance was an issue. Though I had been driving all that time, the company car's insurance was in their name though I was listed on it as a driver. The insurance companies didn't recognize that as ME having insurance so I ended up having to go with one of those "high risk" companies and the insurance was nuts. I had to pay those high prices for at least a year, don't remember exactly, before a regular insurance company would take me. I checked with every insurance company that I could find and none would cover me. I had a near perfect driving record but because the insurance was not specifically in my name, none would accept that I had been insured.

Freebird brings up a good point. Check with different ins. companies because their policies may be different about counting experience with a foreign driver's license.

Another thing was that my wife drove a car here in NC with only her Russian license until her immigration status was such that she was eligible for a NC license. I still don't know if that was legal. But, as far as I know, foreigners here on vacation can rent and drive cars legally with their foreign license.

Edited by BlueSky

I suggest talking to an independent agent, someone who has connections to many insurance companies. They will have the best recommendations. Then decide if you want to use that person, or go deal direct with the company or their agent for the area.

Maybe one of these with good reviews

https://www.google.com/search?ei=YbinW7arCaWkjwS-vaGwDw&q=independent+insurance+agents+raleigh+nc&oq=independent+incurance+Raleigh+NC&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i8i13i30l3.2292.8665..11338...0.0..0.115.2048.17j5......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i13j0i7i30j0i8i7i30j33i10.kVM-vJ0x0-s

Freebird brings up a good point. Check with different ins. companies because their policies may be different about counting experience with a foreign driver's license.

Another thing was that my wife drove a car here in NC with only her Russian license until her immigration status was such that she was eligible for a NC license. I still don't know if that was legal. But, as far as I know, foreigners here on vacation can rent and drive cars legally with their foreign license.

Yes it's similar here, foreigners can drive while on vacation but only for a short time, & if you live here I believe you have to apply for a Provincial licence within 6 months of arrival. (it may even be less). They even made me do the full test, theory & road test then wanted to include me in the "new driver" graduated program that has many restrictions. Fortunately I was able to talk to someone who exercised a bit of common sense!

Just to clarify though my nephew isn't applying for citizenship he is a US citizen (born there) but has lived in the UK since he was about 3 years old.

Thank guys for your assistance, please keep the suggestions coming.

He's going to talk with some independent agents tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.