IGNORED

Going to Colorado with an aching in my heart, on the Venture.

CaseyJ955

I cant rhyme like Zep, but I'm jumping on the Venture tomorrow and heading into CO, It does sting in many ways because I am going with the intention of buying a patch of acreage, or to at least doing recon to decide which part of southern Co I want to live in. If I like it I have several specific acreages I can look at. I swore I would never leave South Dakota, right here in the west with the Black Hills it's amazing, but growing, fast. I have always loved SD for reasons of sparse population and fantastic scenery in the west. Also cheap living, which is changing fast as the population explodes. The nearest town to me is over 75k pop, and Noem could be our next governor, so obviously it's time to GTFO! It sucks in ways, I love this state but I think it's time to put it in the rear view mirror for good. I think it's time to start moving towards CO where there is money, culture and opportunity. I have visited CO several times over the last couple years and I'm always surprised by now nice people are, same in NE, but not so much WY or SD. Maybe I look like an outsider haha!

If anyone here lives in/familiar with southern CO, feel free to drop me any suggestions or ideas. I'm planning on staying several days if I like it. I may even check out the high deserts of AZ and NM, but given the time of year I have to watch the climate and make sure I can get back home again, so none of my aimless indefinite tours.

Was gonna leave today but by the time I installed a phone charger socket in the trunk and pulled the Garmin off my KTM and mounted it on the Venture it was noon, so leaving tomorrow. Damn I'm excited! really stoked to see it after so much reading and research on CO and what I want to do with a patch of land. On paper it's a perfect match, I have never been very far south of Denver so this will be new. I'm going to cut west and go around the metro areas to drop south. I'm not sure why I'm so much more excited than I should be. This will be my first real trip of the year, and pretty likely the last depending on weather. I hear it gets cold down there but I suspect it's got nothing on South Dakota winters which can range from mild to quite extreme. It looks like the weather will hold, but going up towards 10k' elevation does have me apprehensive on a bike this time of year. Even if I have to change routes and stay lower it should be a kick.

Disclaimer: offered despite a Time Lapse of 30 years or more. Hopefully others familiar with the area can correct us if wrong?

From what we recall on Rides thru there, 'Cutting West' quickly sets you in some AWFULLY big hills - as in: The Rocky Mountains, or whatever they're called that far South.

Think you'd likely find stuff more to your liking East of Denver. Regardless it's all gorgeous Turf, but... pretty rugged on the West side.

Rgds, WRIDR

"and Noem could be our next governor, so obviously it's time to GTFO!" ​Sounds like California might be a better fit.

I'm going to interpret that as sarcasm haha. There is such a long list of reasons why I would NEVER return to CA (or WA) or anything on the W coast. I'm the guy that WANTS Trumps border wall, but I want it around CA instead of the US/Mexico border. I've always liked red states better but SD is so far backward that its beyond red, it's like glowing blistering white-hot orange. SD is as red as CA is blue. CO seems sort of purple and folks there seen pretty chill, besides CA does NOT do libertarians and is severely overcrowded, overlegistlated and overtaxed, and chock full of liberals. Its really a challenge to live around so many uptight folks, not much fun at all. West coast is out haha. I love the coast but I'm unaware of any state that touches the water that is not seriously overcrowded like CA. Just the thought of going to CA literally knocked the wind out of me and gave me a moment of elation as I realize I'm no longer there. I have noticed many libs in CO but it's never been a theme, at least not during my visits. It seems like a good mix of all things so far. It sort of lacks the high-strung element I have noticed in CA and the Pacific NW.

Almost ALL our SD local and state politicians are a disgrace, there is enough scandal and corruption here to tickle a Clinton. We have won countless awards for most corrupt state (that says a lot) and the lowest level of gov transparency of all 50 states. CO feels happy to me. I just cant be in this much red anymore, the older I get the more I pay attention to how my tax dolars are used and SD gets a lot less attractive when that happens. I just got a PM that may send me into NM and AZ after all. I may change my route up to make some time for this. On a side note, if it weren't for the winters I would be looking exclusively in the mountains of MT. CA is my very last choice haha.

Have a good trip and since your on the best year and color VR ever built, you'll be fine!!

Thanks, that it is, and if this 30 year old beast holds up it promises to be a great trip. It seems to be running to well, does that make sense? Regardless I'm stuffing the bags now.

Disclaimer: offered despite a Time Lapse of 30 years or more. Hopefully others familiar with the area can correct us if wrong?

From what we recall on Rides thru there, 'Cutting West' quickly sets you in some AWFULLY big hills - as in: The Rocky Mountains, or whatever they're called that far South.

Think you'd likely find stuff more to your liking East of Denver. Regardless it's all gorgeous Turf, but... pretty rugged on the West side.

Rgds, WRIDR

I'm glad you mentioned that, I was studying the map and I really want to see it. I assumed it would be a long and maybe technical ride and my only reservation is how the weather may bite me in the ass at this time of year. I have been thinking in the back of my head to just head in and out on the 71, at least until clear of Denver/CO spr areas, which I DO NOT want to get caught in. My city days are long over. I expect and hope that I will never see Denver again. I guess when I drop in on top of Ft Collins, the weather will make the determination. I see it's getting close to freezing up there at night. I was really leaning toward buying in the southern/easter part, only because the cost of 10-20 acres south is about the same as one acre around Cripple Creek. Besides there is something therapeutic about vast wide open spaces, especially with the mountainous backdrops.

There is such a long list of reasons why I would NEVER return to CA (or WA) or anything on the W coast. I'm the guy that WANTS Trumps border wall, but I want it around CA instead of the US/Mexico border.
Well, well, interesting that you think that. As an outsider who has unfortunately become addicted to the salacious ebb and flow of US news, I've been thinking the border wall should take a right turn at the CA border and go north to the Canadian border. Take down the wall at San Diego, then withdraw ICE and let the W coast have their sanctuary states.

Trouble with that scenario is there is already an exodus from CA that is infecting Texas and Arizona with the blue flu so it would likely just get worse.

Looking form the very mild South Coast of BC, aren't the winters in CO and SD about the same...very cold?

Well, well, interesting that you think that. As an outsider who has unfortunately become addicted to the salacious ebb and flow of US news, I've been thinking the border wall should take a right turn at the CA border and go north to the Canadian border. Take down the wall at San Diego, then withdraw ICE and let the W coast have their sanctuary states.

Trouble with that scenario is there is already an exodus from CA that is infecting Texas and Arizona with the blue flu so it would likely just get worse.

Looking form the very mild South Coast of BC, aren't the winters in CO and SD about the same...very cold?

I suppose the kindest way to say it is im non-CA compatible. I do visit the middle states alot and nobody wants to endure californication. My best cuz lives in Boise/Nampa and he says its become so insanely liberal with the massive influx. Lots of places are suffering, lots. Ive even been dissed when I was living in Seattle, the WA plates are not much more welcome than CA plates. I cant blame anyone for fleeing from CA, I would flee, then deny I was ever there (kinda what I/we did).

Im in CO right now. Been in the seaddle all day and have really enjoyed the interactions with locals, actually made a couple new friends today. There is a lot of positive energy here. This is my next home, I can feel it in my bones, it just feels right.

Sounds to me like you may want to go south to Alamosa way. Smaller city. Fairly rural. the eastern plains of Co are always windy and get some severe weather. Unless you head up into the mountains , the weather in the front range is fairly mild. I've found some warm days to ride every month of the year.

My 2 cents

Gary in colorado springs

Sounds to me like you may want to go south to Alamosa way. Smaller city. Fairly rural. the eastern plains of Co are always windy and get some severe weather. Unless you head up into the mountains , the weather in the front range is fairly mild. I've found some warm days to ride every month of the year.

My 2 cents

Gary in colorado springs

I wont lie, riding season is a big factor in my search. I want some winter, just a bit less.

I went through Alamosa yesterday, really like it, to Ft Garland, which I also like quite a bit. I was reeeally liking the 160 heading east out of Ft Garland. Im glad I took this trip. I made more friends in CO this week than I had in SD in the last 10 years. I did notice a tremendous amount of trafffic and people, even in Hartsel, which on paper looks quiet and remote. The traffic didnt thin out sufficiently until close to Alamosa. It is within range of gentrification, which may be a dealbreaker, more thought needed. There was an event but that still doesnt explain the massive amount of people on the road for such great distances. The incredible beauty of the place might be the only thing that kept me from going into a meltdown haha. Perfect weather and breathtaking scenery, really awesome ride.

I stayed in Fort Garland last night, had a great time with a few locals and a couple off-gridders. Really enjoyable and VERY enlightening. I think its the right place if I can get at least 20 miles out of town and away from the pavement. There appears to be a bit of a meth problem in the area but I dont think that is unique to much of rural America anymore. Its still a cool town, like Alamosa. Im sorry I couldnt stay a couple more days or dip down into AZ and NM, but this recon trip was a striking success. I think I have most of what I need to make a choice of area, thanks in part to the information given here. There were several other cool towns but I'll have to review my GPS tracks and put it all together. Ft Garland has some awesome mtn views, thats what I cant get out of my head. I could easily wake up each day. Ill probably get home tomorrow, then I can think about all I have learned. Darn this has been a really fun one!

SD can be pretty wicked or fairly mild, quite a range, but it's usually cold. It looks to me like the winters start to taper off as you get down towards southern CO, but I have not spent a winter down there. The locals tell me that San Lious Valley can get quite bitter but the sun shines most days and warms things up some. Its listed as one of the better places for solar r/t all the sunshine, or so I read.

I think there may be a slight tilt towards SD winters being a little longer and darker.