IGNORED

Valve adjustment kit....

On the weekend of Oct 6th, I am gonna begin the swap of all the painted parts from my '99 custom painted bike the the '09 I purchased a couple weeks ago. I am estimating that this is going to take me 2 solid weekends and the week nights in between because I will be going thru everything pretty thorough in the reassembly, and buffing the painted parts from the '99 before installing them on the '09.

I would also like to adjust the valves while I am at it. Like everyone, I hope all the tolerances are on point and no shims have to be changed out, but the way things go for me, that will probably not be the case.

I have read in time past on here where someone has a shim/tool kit that they either rent or loan out to us unfortunate souls that don't own such, with the unfortunates paying shipping and whatever else.

If someone can provide me the info on who may offer that service, I would at a minimum be temporarily grateful, and perhaps forever grateful.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

I do recall that there is such a "kit" from one of our members. I would advise you to check with your local Yamaha dealer for shims. Mine is extraordinary in this aspect. They swap shims for free and have even fronted the shims to swap, cores to be returned later. They do this for my Venture and my XJ bikes.

The tools are available from several sources. I bought one from a member here. I don't recall who.

skydoc_17 used to have a shim kit with tools that he loaned out if you bought the gaskets from him.

I was the member that was selling the shim tool, I am not sure if I have any new ones left, I will have to do some digging. I only sold them on this site, and there are a bunch floating around.

Thanks, just let me know. I am going to check the the 2 local Yamaha dealers to make sure they stock shims in case I need them.

If you don't have one, maybe someone on here will read this and be willing to loan/sell/rent one to me.

Thanks, just let me know. I am going to check the the 2 local Yamaha dealers to make sure they stock shims in case I need them.

If you don't have one, maybe someone on here will read this and be willing to loan/sell/rent one to me.

Also check with SkyDoc_17 to see if he is still doing the kit. You will need gaskets regardless of which route you take.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the props about the shim tool kit!

To Larry, I do still loan out my shop shim kit. It comes with the bucket shim tool, feeler gauges, various picks, and roughly 80 bucket shims of different sizes. Of course, if the shim you need is not in the kit, you will need to swap/purchase those from your local dealer. I do require that you purchase a set of Valve Cover Gaskets from me, which I keep in stock, and I require that you pay for shipping both ways for the loan of the kit. I would need your location for shipping costs. If you are interested, feel free to PM me.

Thanks again Jeff,

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
crayon broke!

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the props about the shim tool kit!

To Larry, I do still loan out my shop shim kit. It comes with the bucket shim tool, feeler gauges, various picks, and roughly 80 bucket shims of different sizes. Of course, if the shim you need is not in the kit, you will need to swap/purchase those from your local dealer. I do require that you purchase a set of Valve Cover Gaskets from me, which I keep in stock, and I require that you pay for shipping both ways for the loan of the kit. I would need your location for shipping costs. If you are interested, feel free to PM me.

Thanks again Jeff,

Earl

Sounds good to me. If you don't mind, just private message me the details. Will need to try to get it all set up for use beginning the weekend of Oct 6th. In the mean time, I am gonna double check with the local dealerships to make sure they stock the shims.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Hehehe, I guess I cheated when I did my shims, I just took the next thicker size shim and tossed on a surface grinder and ground it to the perfect size I needed. I did mark the new size on the ground shims so that someday down the road someone will know what they have. Just do not try to find replacements in those in between sizes.

Hehehe, I guess I cheated when I did my shims, I just took the next thicker size shim and tossed on a surface grinder and ground it to the perfect size I needed. I did mark the new size on the ground shims so that someday down the road someone will know what they have. Just do not try to find replacements in those in between sizes.

I wish I still had access to a surface grinder. Used to be the programmer for a machine shop. That was a "handy" job to have. I am really really really really really really really hoping that I am within tolerances. If not, maybe I can find local or at least get them delivered within a day or two.

On the weekend of Oct 6th, I am gonna begin the swap of all the painted parts from my '99 custom painted bike the the '09 I purchased a couple weeks ago. I am estimating that this is going to take me 2 solid weekends and the week nights in between because I will be going thru everything pretty thorough in the reassembly, and buffing the painted parts from the '99 before installing them on the '09.

I would also like to adjust the valves while I am at it. Like everyone, I hope all the tolerances are on point and no shims have to be changed out, but the way things go for me, that will probably not be the case.

I have read in time past on here where someone has a shim/tool kit that they either rent or loan out to us unfortunate souls that don't own such, with the unfortunates paying shipping and whatever else.

If someone can provide me the info on who may offer that service, I would at a minimum be temporarily grateful, and perhaps forever grateful.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

That would be great if you can get the kit from skydoc. If you hava any trouble getting shims I used these guys for mine. Fair prices and shipped quickly.

YamahaLarry.

https://www.z1enterprises.com/engine-parts/shims/25mm-shims.html

Just one other thing. I would mic the shims you remove and the shims you replace. I have found that they can be off slightly.

Edited by wrscomncents

I wish I still had access to a surface grinder. Used to be the programmer for a machine shop. That was a "handy" job to have. I am really really really really really really really hoping that I am within tolerances. If not, maybe I can find local or at least get them delivered within a day or two.

I have a tool. I figured I was going to own the thing for a long time, so I bought one. Any how I had a bunch of shims from my FJ 1200 that are the same. Also same size shims are used from some Hondas and Suzuki's. They should be pretty easy to pick up locally. I got the tool and then measured everything and found I could really swap from one valve to another and get thing right. I only needed a couple shims from my reserve.