IGNORED

Do these lights look terribly stupid???

I wanted to add a couple of lights to aid me in vision while on low beam.

They beam down then left and right just so I can see the shoulder and center line better at night when a car is coming at me.

They consume very little power, fused at 1 amp for the pair, which is a main concern because the charging circuits on the 1st Gens ain't the most robust.

Except for a switch along side the CLASS Controller no mods were done to the bike.

I can power coat, any color, the attachment bracket.

IMG_20180918_110122611.jpgIMG_20180918_110131286.jpgIMG_20180918_110200211.jpg

If they help you see the road and be seen by cars, then they are perfect! You might want to just hit the brackets with some black Krylon spray paint from the hardware store - dries super fast. I have 4 headlights and 2 tail lights and haven't had any issues with generated electrical power.

zag

Well that mag look amazing, that's a lot of freaking tooth brush work!

Will, I believe the flat plate bracket is cheezy. A tube bracket will cancel more vibration, stay true, and finish cleaner.

I have tried small diving lights a time or two, and have always swapped them out for a larger glow like 3.5/4". I find I concentrate less on the lighting when it's soft while wondering as I tend too.

I don't have any pics handy but found some years back a set at an import place well priced and suiting my older bike style. Chromed with a rear rippled deflector. I installed them on a 2 piece tubing that allowed me to connect to the crash bar and this allowed for easy positioning, also let me move them forward which I really like the look of and so looses the shadow of being right next to the frame.

I didn't uses them during the day as they were power hungry. Thought of switching them to my 1.5 but couldn't bring myself to doing it.

Another small thing I did to the 1.5 is, added 2 blue back-lit switches to the cowl of the cruise unit, they were low profile rocker type, amazing difference on eye comfort lighting below the dash can bring not to mention the look of the blue lighting. Positioning takes some thinking through tho. While there I tabbed the head seats with fiberglass in epoxy about the size of a quarter to prevent cracking as I'd be loading on a cantilever, something to think about.

Well that mag look amazing, that's a lot of freaking tooth brush work!

Will, I believe the flat plate bracket is cheezy. A tube bracket will cancel more vibration, stay true, and finish cleaner.

I have tried small diving lights a time or two, and have always swapped them out for a larger glow like 3.5/4". I find I concentrate less on the lighting when it's soft while wondering as I tend too.

I don't have any pics handy but found some years back a set at an import place well priced and suiting my older bike style. Chromed with a rear rippled deflector. I installed them on a 2 piece tubing that allowed me to connect to the crash bar and this allowed for easy positioning, also let me move them forward which I really like the look of and so looses the shadow of being right next to the frame.

I didn't uses them during the day as they were power hungry. Thought of switching them to my 1.5 but couldn't bring myself to doing it.

Another small thing I did to the 1.5 is, added 2 blue back-lit switches to the cowl of the cruise unit, they were low profile rocker type, amazing difference on eye comfort lighting below the dash can bring not to mention the look of the blue lighting. Positioning takes some thinking through tho. While there I tabbed the head seats with fiberglass in epoxy about the size of a quarter to prevent cracking as I'd be loading on a cantilever, something to think about.

"cheesy" is the exact word that has been echoing in my head since I made them lol. Thanks for the conformation Steven.

I just need to spend more than $21 and make brackets.

I know I can come up with a sexy solution for around $250.

I just get blinded at night when ppl are slow to lower the lights. Even when they do run low beams and I'm leaning on a turn, some more side light is clearly needed.

"cheesy" is the exact word that has been echoing in my head since I made them lol. Thanks for the conformation Steven.

I just need to spend more than $21 and make brackets.

I know I can come up with a sexy solution for around $250.

I just get blinded at night when ppl are slow to lower the lights. Even when they do run low beams and I'm leaning on a turn, some more side light is clearly needed.

You can mock them up with plastic tubing or the PVC water tubing and a couple of fittings.

I loosen grip and look a touch to the right and slightly down, stay chilled, we have to share the highways

Mine aren't here but some nice ones to help choose

https://www.google.ca/search?q=fog+lights&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjB9YnWjsXdAhV3FTQIHSYlCXEQsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=1229&bih=579

You can mock them up with plastic tubing or the PVC water tubing and a couple of fittings.

I loosen grip and look a touch to the right and slightly down, stay chilled, we have to share the highways

https://www.google.ca/search?q=fog+lights&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjB9YnWjsXdAhV3FTQIHSYlCXEQsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=1229&bih=579

I did look at amazon and ebay but I was concerned how to mount them.

This is way I did this cheap experiment to see what would look good and where.

Anybody have any pics of a nice front install??

Thanks again Steven G.

I did look at amazon and ebay but I was concerned how to mount them.

This is way I did this cheap experiment to see what would look good and where.

Anybody have and pics of a nice front install??

Thanks again Steven G.

I was just looking at my other bike and had a stroke of clarity!!!

IMG_20180918_151422504.jpg

I really only need light for night time and I rarely get caught out past a few hours after dark. Do I need a permanent lite and do I want to spend $250 plus? No.

I have two of these for my Cannondale rite now.

nr.jpeg

https://www.niterider.com/product/lumina-1100-boost/

They are def a great product, will run on low for around 6 hours.

The rubber strap is made for taking a beating from non-suspension bikes and is fully adjustable on the fly for up/down/left/right alignment.

I have a USB charger on the VR now, so those silly lights are coming off and I apologize for posting such and ugly addition to a Yamaha Venture on this site!!

No doubt two of these running will out shine the stock high beam halogen headlight hands down.

IMG_20180918_150600479.jpgIMG_20180918_150618445.jpg

Some things to consider.

Most people put on driving or spot lights. These will do nothing to help see the sides of the road, especially in a curve.

I eliminated the stock horns and used that point to mount my lights, I have KC Highlites 5 x 3 fog lights. the Fog lights do little to light the road straight ahead BUT they do a great job of lighting up the sides of the road, I also have them tilted a bit with the outside raised and pointed out a bit so that they light up the curves better. They are not pretty, but the view at night is beautiful. I was going to convert them to HID but I sold the bike before I had the chance. now I have an HID setup with H3 bulbs sitting on the shelf with no where to go.

Oh yea, since I eliminated the stock horns I installed two of the Bad Boys air horns to get that job done.

Some things to consider.

Most people put on driving or spot lights. These will do nothing to help see the sides of the road, especially in a curve.

I eliminated the stock horns and used that point to mount my lights, I have KC Highlites 5 x 3 fog lights. the Fog lights do little to light the road straight ahead BUT they do a great job of lighting up the sides of the road, I also have them tilted a bit with the outside raised and pointed out a bit so that they light up the curves better. They are not pretty, but the view at night is beautiful. I was going to convert them to HID but I sold the bike before I had the chance. now I have an HID setup with H3 bulbs sitting on the shelf with no where to go.

Oh yea, since I eliminated the stock horns I installed two of the Bad Boys air horns to get that job done.

I considered removing the horns to mount lights.

I think I updated my idea as you were replying. I found a nice looking solution that I know will do what I want.

Speaking of horns, I need one that is loud and goes "Ahooga"

Consider how I have rigged my 1991.

Markland/Drag Specialties/VentureLine driving light brackets with FIAMM car horns (one high pitch, one low pitch).

The brackets are mounted in place of the stock horn mounts but include a tab for remounting the horns. I bought the FIAMM horns at an auto parts store. I removed the chrome domed back from the Yamaha horns added the chrome to the back of the FIAMM horns.

The FIAMM horns sound just like an old Lincoln or Buick. They draw enough juice though to require a relay.

If interested, I have two pairs of the driving light brackets. One pair has Unity halogen sealed beam lights. The other pair of brackets are new in the package, never been mounted.

The pic of my maroon 1990 shows how the driving light brackets look. Then the pic of the Unity lights with brackets and stock horns (horns not included). Then the FIAMM horns as mounted on my 1991. Finally a "glamour" shot of me and my 1991.

IMG_0611.jpgDriving Light brackets and Unity lights $30.50 2014.jpgNewYork Bound - Copy (2).jpgNewYork Bound.jpg

Consider how I have rigged my 1991.

Markland/Drag Specialties/VentureLine driving light brackets with FIAMM car horns (one high pitch, one low pitch).

The brackets are mounted in place of the stock horn mounts but include a tab for remounting the horns. I bought the FIAMM horns at an auto parts store. I removed the chrome domed back from the Yamaha horns added the chrome to the back of the FIAMM horns.

The FIAMM horns sound just like an old Lincoln or Buick. They draw enough juice though to require a relay.

If interested, I have two pairs of the driving light brackets. One pair has Unity halogen sealed beam lights. The other pair of brackets are new in the package, never been mounted.

The pic of my maroon 1990 shows how the driving light brackets look. Then the pic of the Unity lights with brackets and stock horns (horns not included). Then the FIAMM horns as mounted on my 1991. Finally a "glamour" shot of me and my 1991.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114509https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114510https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114511https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114512

I really like the setup on the Maroon bike, I'll PM you in a bit.

In the last "Glamour Shot" it looks as though you're reaching for a secret NOS shot button.

Ok folks anyone turned off by these temp use "bicycle" lights, here is some real world proof.

The orange cone off to the right is at 65'. Remember I just want some light when caught out at night.

This pic is the bike with low beams on:

IMG_20180918_204236098.jpg

Here is with the bicycle light on medium. Can you see the cone off to the right now?

This light will make this power for well over 4 hours.

I never recommend a product that I don't absolutely believe in, ever.

I've been bombing down hills well in excess of 40Mph in the dead of night on my Cannondale for years.

My VR will have two of these strategically aimed and installed when I need them!!

IMG_20180918_204256062.jpg

Well at least till I buy some nice brackets that is lol

Food for thought; Most states limit the amount of lights you can mount, my state (Wa> has a 3 light limit, that being said there are guys here that run HIDs, some times 4 of them (no the law isn't enforced) and these lights (along with some LEDs) are not only bright but blind other drivers, esp. M/C drivers; (when mounted on a 4 wheel platform) as when they get behind (me any way) those lights are RIGHT in my mirrors and therefor right in my eyes and I can't see or the light "burns" my eyes. I'm sure others have been in this situation. All I'm saying is that we're not piloting aircraft; THEY NEED to see WAY down the runways (not that they could do anything about something in their path) but IMHO we don't need to see the color of the gravel in the concrete nor 3000 yards down the road. Another pet peeve: When you change your head light or aux lights be they the old school style or the new school type always re-aim the head light; production variances in the filiment placement add up when it comes to head lights, there is a standard for aiing the lights, it's set up to give max distance for the driver and minimum blinding to on-coming traffic.

End of Rant

I sure wish I had a clue what was being talked about in that vid. I the only 2 words I could pick out were aluminum and Cree.

It looked like some interesting mods to some LED lights.

1. To bring closer a light-emitting diode to a lens on 10 mm

2. To cut off a rubber ring between a lens and the case

3. To establish a restrictive curtain from a foil on the top part of a lens.

Yes. I made the horn/light brakets out of aluminum and then just polished them out. For the headlight, I used as much of the original bracket as possible so I could still use the dash height adjustment knob. All the headlight required was a spacer block underneath attached to the bottom part of the stock bracket.