IGNORED

Died a quick death

Well, I rode my 07 XVZ up into the trailer and just as I reached for the key it died. I have checked the main fuse,ok, I have removed the tank and checked the connections,ok, checked the ignition fuse,ok, how and where do you check the kill switch and starter switch

Any chance the angles were steep enough that it tripped the tip over switch?

Start at the beginning, When you turn the key on does anything come on?

Agreed. And check the battery voltage, at the battery posts and then at the fuse box. Voltage should be in the 12.5 v range.

Any chance the angles were steep enough that it tripped the tip over switch?

Start at the beginning, When you turn the key on does anything come on?

The fuel pump does not run. The oil light and temp light comes on .They go out when you hit the starter button but the headlights do not dim or go out

Yes, but the starter relay would keep it from starting but I don't think it would cause it to die. So if it is the kill switch, how would you check it and where

All the kill switch is, is an inline connector. They do corrode if not used. That's why I always shut the motor off with it. Generally toggling it on and off a bunch of times will get the thing working again. You might have to spay some contact cleaner on it from the outside... no need to disassemble... I don't know where it connects to the ignition switch.. never had to go that deep. Because these bikes run electrical though the ignition switch they will fail. There is a by-pass being made by one of our members that will get you going again. Quite a few riders have installed the by-pass just because... A little PM...

Less likely, but the fuel pump contacts are a potential issue with these bikes.

I don't think that would stop it from turning over in this case. I replaced mine on the '07. Ran fine, the next day I moved it across the street to make room for garage sailors and it ran like cr@p. Tried to move it back home and the thing would turn over, but wouldn't fire. Fuel pump. Bought a new OEM... before I knew about the points...:mo money:., and it cured the problem... In this case I'd put money on the ignition switch...

OK, let's get things straight here. When you turn the key to on does the headlight come on?? Does the dash boot up?? If not, with the ignition switch on and nothing works except the radio then your ignition switch is defective. If the headlight is on then the next thing is when you hit the start button does the light go off?? If not then your start switch is probably defective. There is a second set of contacts that turn the headlight off while cranking the bike over. As mentioned before, cycle the kill switch several times to try to clean the contacts. The switch needs to be in the CW position to work. Make sure you are in neutral!! Look for the green light! Try squeezing the clutch lever when starting, should not make any difference in neutral but it may be an indicator if it magically starts with the lever squeezed.

As mentioned measure the battery voltage with the key off, and again with the key on. Your battery voltage should drop a tenth or so due to the headlight drawing current. Keep measuring when you hit the starter! With the start switch pressed it should still read around 12 volts, maybe 11...

Get back to us!