IGNORED

Differential

So I got the diff cleaned up; nasty thick black crud. So, what are the inspection criteria? Are there any parts I should replace as a matter of course? No leakage was evident, I think (hope) the crud was from sloppy maintenance habits like not wiping brake fluid expended when bleeding the brakes, also WAY off topic: what fuel filter Not Yamaha's FILTER ASSY 1FK-24560-10-00. $17.00 for a fuel filter is a bit crazy! I'm thinking any fuel filter for a 4 cylinder engine (1300CC or better) that's the same dimensions as Yamaha's is good; what's the forum say?

Edited by dna9656

The parts fiche shows the same part number for the fuel filter all the way up through my '93, so I think the ones we're looking at for '86+ bikes will work on your MKI bike.

Try this thread for fuel filters: https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?135294-Fuel-filters-for-86-93-Ventures. I tested the HIPA filter today and it passes fuel as fast as the fuel pump can click.

Edited by Bob K.

• 1 year later...

Hay guys, I am looking at my differential spline teeth on my 88 and they don't look so good. I replaced it drive side on the wheel with the last tire change and this time I am looking at that differential and thinking it looks pretty bad. Pictures to follow.

So here is the question since i saw a 96 venture differential on ebay for like $80 that looked good. Are they interchangeable with the first gen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118988[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]118989[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]118990[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]118991[/ATTACH]the grease looked like it was cooked so I think it was getting pretty hot. Here are a couple of shots of the wheel side. I thought they looked acceptable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118992[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]118993[/ATTACH]

Edited by Geobob
photos not showing up

Hi Geobob, can't see your pictures. Try reposting or editing your post and then use the add attachment feature in the lower section of your post. Pictures also have a limit to size, so you might be luckier if you downsize them before attempting to post them.

Here are the photos. I think this one will post. Been looking for a new differential and based on cost and availability I am leaning towards just picking one up. Maybe and entire swing are set up just experiment with. I cannot remember pulling my drive shaft. I remember it being more difficult than it sounded and I don't know if I ever got it out.

IMG_0036 (Large).jpg

IMG_0037 (Large).jpg

IMG_0038 (Large).jpg

IMG_0039 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0040 (Large).jpg

IMG_0041 (Large).jpg

The wheel side of the spline is made of softer material than the hub side and will be the wear point, as is shown. I realize that you cleaned the parts, but the wear shows signs of improper lubrication--- so using the wrong grease. I've done that, and wore out a spline with one tire. Using the right grease the wear will be hardly noticeable if at all. I use Lucas Xtreme Heavy Duty wheel bearing grease, and it did the trick. Others have suggested a Honda grease as well.

When you pull the wheel, it's also important to pull the spline out of the wheel hub and clean and grease the pins, they can get ceased up and cause issues as well. The spline is held to the wheel with a hardly noticeable c-ring.

what fuel filter Not Yamaha's FILTER ASSY 1FK-24560-10-00. $17.00 for a fuel filter is a bit crazy! I'm thinking any fuel filter for a 4 cylinder engine (1300CC or better) that's the same dimensions as Yamaha's is good; what's the forum say?

Still working great after thousands of miles: https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?135294-Fuel-filters-for-86-93-Ventures&p=1048371#post1048371

There are probably 10 different sellers selling this same filter under different names and quantities.

I did not know that about the different materials between the two parts. My last tire change reveled a seriously worn wheel side so I picked up a newer one. Maybe you can see the difference. I suspect the differential side was just as worn then as it is now. The wheel side was really bad. I replaced a differential years ago because of the same problem. Back then even the used parts were several hundred dollars.

As far as grease goes the honda shop that I used to change the last tire noticed the were and sold me some of their moly grease claiming it was a good as it gets. I have loaded it up figuring I would keep and eye on it with every tire change. I have some photos of the dried out looking grease but they actually came out as short videos. The new phone some how decided that was how I wanted to take photos. I think the small amount of play leads to heat build up. Maybe a newer less worn differential along with the wheel side that I have will make it to the next tire change.

So any ideas regarding the newer 2nd gen differentials working on the 88 that I have.

Not sure about your particular situation, but on my 85 I went through 3 wheel sides and the pumpkin side still looked good. You are right about being loose might tend to build heat, but I don't think that is necessarily your issue. Most greases get thrown off the splines, and if the Honda boys put on the wrong stuff, the splines would be dry in no time. When you do take off the wheel you are not going to find globs of grease still sitting there, but the splines should look wet, and that is what keeps you rolling. Don't forget to deal with the pins, if they are not able to move that would be more detrimental to the splines then a bit of wear.