IGNORED

Ford 3.8 & 4.2 old intake problem back to haunt 1996/98

Patch

Ford with TSB Article No. 99-20-7."

Don’t know how many of us still run the older 97/98 F150 4.2 or if those of us that do know of the gasket problems they had.

SK.. my long time friend is still in love with his and keeps it in very good condition. Well I’ve been monitoring a 2 bank lean condition as well as watch the ECM struggling to maintain LAMBDA and looking like a losing battle!

I’ve found leaks from burnt hoses and elbow connections which improved the condition some but thinking it was time to change injectors, split the intake manifold and look deeper. Well yesterday preparing my parts list I checked to see if the lower gasket was indeed the new version, I had to clean a little area to do so- even tho SK keeps the engine well clean that gasket was caked with a thin oily dusty layer. Turns out the lower gasket which is the upgraded one is a complete fail both banks.

I had leak tested with Mapp gas last time it was at the shop, likely the upper edge being coated didn’t reveal results? Not sure how I missed it..

Next Tuesday we tear it down, it’s the cast aluminum intake not the composite one. Looks like a fair amount of work.

So If anyone is still running one of these even if you took advantage of the dealer repair before March 2001 I suggest you check into the condition of these gaskets as they can lead to coolant leaks and catastrophic failure.

FORD: 1996-1997 THUNDERBIRD 1996-1998 MUSTANG, WINDSTAR 1997-1998 E-150, E-250, F-150 MERCURY: 1996-1997 COUGAR This TSB article is being republished in its entirety FRONT COVER SERVICE to correct the front cover/water pump bolt torque Follow the removal/installation instructions found in values and the Front Cover Gasket Part Number. the Service Manuals for the applicable model, year, and engine combination. (Refer to the engine built ISSUE Engine coolant may be leaking into the engine oil information in the Gasket Application Chart in this TSB.) on some vehicles. The internal coolant leak may be difficult to identify. This may be caused by the lower intake manifold side gaskets and/or front cover NOTE gaskets allowing coolant to pass into the cylinders EXTREME CARE MUST BE EXERCISED WHEN and/or the crankcase. REMOVING THE OLD GASKET MATERIAL. COVER THE OIL PAN TO KEEP OUT SCRAPED ACTION GASKET MATERIAL. Revised lower intake manifold side and front cover gaskets have been released for service. Refer to NOTE the following text and Application Chart for details.”

“NOTE FOR 4.2L UPPER INTAKE MANIFOLD (ONLY): CAUTION DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BOLTS TO THE TORQUE VALUE LISTED IN THE SERVICE MANUAL. THE INSTALLATION FOR THE CORRECT BOLT TORQUE SEQUENCE HAS REMAINED THE SAME BUT THE TORQUE VALUE HAS CHANGED TO 8 N•m (71 LB-IN) AND THEN TIGHTEN ALL THE BOLTS AN ADDITIONAL 90 DEGREES”

https://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/99-20-07.pdf

20180911_113344.jpg

Edited by Patch

I have had a 2000 f150 5.4 and now have a 2002 F150 5.4 and have read about the gasket issue on the forums. All of the engines in the 97 to 03 F150s are very durable with the exceptions of the gasket issue of the 4.2 in the first two years and the spark plug blowout that could happen with the V8s if the plugs aren't torqued enough. I loved my 00 F150SupercabXLT4x4 for 105k miles and still love my 02 F150 Supercab Lariat FX4 with 151k miles.

I have had a 2000 f150 5.4 and now have a 2002 F150 5.4 and have read about the gasket issue on the forums. All of the engines in the 97 to 03 F150s are very durable with the exceptions of the gasket issue of the 4.2 in the first two years and the spark plug blowout that could happen with the V8s if the plugs aren't torqued enough. I loved my 00 F150SupercabXLT4x4 for 105k miles and still love my 02 F150 Supercab Lariat FX4 with 151k miles.

I've been a Ford guy for more years then anyone need know at least for our work trucks. They do last with maintenance, and usually not too difficult to repair, the key being able to repair parts verses replacing everything.

I thought the torque spec I posted unusual: after reaching torque tighten an additional 90 degrees.. As many of us know we often explain that as 3:15 right.... Now I'm wondering if I'd be better off if I wait till 3:15 AM;) for the last 90*

• 4 months later...

So after all this work to get the truck running well last Wednesday at the end of his shift, he got T-boned. The fellow said he didn't see the stop sign didn't slow down or make any effort to stop. The old F150 took the complete burnt of it at floor level, the impact lifting it off the drivers side wheels.

TK was able to walk away with out a scratch although he has been a bit stiff in the lower back.

I tell this guy once hit by a taxi dragged 2 blocks, got up ... the driver, picked up his 1100 Virago and road off!

I don't know what he's made of but it seems to be resistant material?

Just found a replacement vehicle today fortunately, cause he's been a handful this past week;)

98 T bone 2.jpg

98 T Bone.jpg

Yep totaled, the floor is pulled down, the front driver side wheel has a mean lean, the gap same side at the hood is almost an 1" yet the other side is still a 1/4".

Look at the torn metal still bright no rust. If he had been in a car we'd likely be making arrangements..