IGNORED

07 RSV thinking of going darkside but I have some ???

Shadowhawk

I've owned my 07 RSV for a couple weeks now and I am really liking it. Now that I am gotten pretty acquainted with the Blue Bomber I am thinking of going darkside when the time comes to change out tires. But before I do I want to get some questions out of the way to help me determine if it is something I really want to do. Sorry if I am asking questions that have been asked a thousand times before.

Here are my questions.

1) Is the size of tire that needs to be used set in stone? In other words can you use a tire with a lower profile to lower the stance of the bike. (Mainly to help those that are short in the inseam like myself)

2) If you can lower the bike by using a lower profile tire, will that make the ride rough or change the geometry enough to cause handling and stability issues? (I've lowered my bike an inch in the front)

3) Do you only darkside the rear tire or can you use a car tire on the front as well?

4) How does the bike handle after darksiding? Does the ride feel mushy or sluggish? Do you feel the flat surface of the tire when transitioning from, let's say a left turn to a right turn like in a roundabout or going through a twisty? To me it looks like the flat surface of the car tire would make the bike feel goofy and almost wobbly.

5) How does the car tire handle situations like gravel, dirt, tar snakes, wet surfaces, slick surfaces like wet leaves, manhole covers, painted surfaces, oil, and animal guts? (The animal guts is a "cover every base" kind of thing... you just never know)

6) Does the car tire have limitations that a motorcycle tire does not or vice versa? i.e. aggressive cornering or riding at high speeds

7) Has anybody had problems, or heard of problems involving insurance and car tires? (I think I know the answer to this question but you never know I could be wrong... trying to learn all I can)

8) Is tire pressure a personal preference, or does the pressure change the characteristics of ride, stability and handling? I've seen differing opinions varying between 35 and 45 psi.

9) How does the bike handle at slow speeds? Does it make maneuvering around in places like parking lots or slow traffic any different?

10) What is a recommended tire to use? Does a high end high performance tire work better than a cheapo chinese walmart special, or does it matter any in this instance?

11) When you have a car tire on the back and a motorcycle tire on the front, is there a particular set that compliments each other where you can get the best performance and life out of a set of tires?

12) Is installing a car tire on a motorcycle rim strictly DIY? Can I take and have a car tire mounted and balanced?

13) What are some do's and don'ts i should know about involving going darkside? i.e. don't hit bumps really hard, watch out for railroad tracks, don't do burnouts on the family cat, no stunt riding. You know, stuff I should know but is not common knowledge no matter how ridiculous it might sound.

Anyway I think that's all I can think of at the moment. Sorry for so many questions but this darkside aspect of the motorcycle world is intriguing to me and I want to learn more about it. Thanks in advance for answering my question.

--

Okay, I'll take the bait. I'll answer some questions, but not in detail or we'd be here all night:

1. Get the one that's closest to what is OEM is in dimensions.

2. Smaller tire affects all drive ratios. Go with same size.

3. Rear only on bikes with car tire. Can use a rear m.c. tire on the front of most bikes--called Double Darksiding.

4. Feel depends on the pressure. Higher (like 40#) is firm in corners, lower (like 28-32#) is soft and doesn't track road irregularities as much but some give in turns. You don't ride on the side or corner, you are on the outer 1/3 of the bottom in turns.

5. You get better traction than stock m.c.

6. Can be harder to mount on rim. Corners better on large cruisers and touring bikes.

7. No. Only in the minds of deniers.

8. Most run either 30 or 40#.

9. Not for me.

10. See the link above. All depends on the size you want as to what's available.

11. No.

12. Find a place that will mount it for you before you switch. Most of us remove the wheel and bring it and the tire in to the dealer/shop.

13. Just like with any new tire, it will feel different from what you took off. As it has more flat area on the bottom, it will want to lean into the downside of pavement or off a lip which isn't a problem unless you freak out. After a couple of hundred miles, you'll never realize there's anything different at all.

You may find that ALL the experts that say it won't work just go by their computer projections and theories. But it always does work. It's a matter of theory vs. road tests done by thousands of riders every day.

Keep in mind that no Darksider will tell you what you should do, they can just tell you what has worked for them. We don't care what you do. Your choice.

--

BF Goodrich 06462 Radial T/A TireP155/80R15

Being only 5’ 6” I liked it lowering the bike and gear ratio too. The gearing is perfect now. I have put 18,000 miles on it. About ½ of them were on the interstate and the other on two lanes. It is a little quicker now and I don’t see any difference in gas mileage. Best car tire for RSV!!!

Earl