IGNORED

Congratulations on the Star Venture Transcontinental Freebird

Some really good information there. I will certainly give the seat some time to break in. I really don't want to buy a new one. I did go with the Utopia backrest and should have it tomorrow.

The oil information was very informative. I'm a bit confused. You said the last oil change was Yamalube. Are those test results from the Yamalube or the Redline. I was very disappointed to learn that Mobil 1 for VTwins is not JASO rated. You know from my previous posts that I'm a huge fan of Mobil 1. Been using it in everything I own for more than 20 years.

My only issue with Redline would be that I don't think there is a local place to buy it and I'm just not going to order oil. I'll have to check around and do some more research to see which other oils have what is needed. Maybe there is a Redline dealer close by that I don't know about. Will look into that also.

I haven't actually sent Mobil 1 a message but on their own website, there is a "question" section. Somebody asked why the VTwin oil was not JASO rate and they didn't challenge the statement that is was not JASO rated, they simply replied that it is made specifically for Harley Davidson V-Twins.

• 1 year later...

Yes, the seat height is approximately 2" lower. I'm tall, about a 34 - 35" inseam so I was OK with the taller RSV but the 2" lower is not a problem. With the ROX risers and the Utopia riders backrest, this bike is extremely comfortable. I have long arms so you wouldn't think that I would need the risers but every bike I have owned require handlebars with more pullback or risers. I think it's because of the way that I ride. I like may feet out on the highway pegs and I lean back against the backrest. Without getting the bars further back, I get bad pain in may shoulders. I put the Flanders bars on my RSV but this one was easy to remedy with the ROX risers. Took about 15 minutes rot install them with no modifications art all to any cables.

On a ride last Sunday with a RSV rider, we swapped bikes for a few minutes. The RSV felt so much different already. I feel that I sit more "IN" the SVTC as opposed to "ON" the RSV. The RSV also felt, I don't know, smaller then the SVTC. Not saying that the RSV felt back, it is a very comfortable bike, just felt different already after even the few miles that I've put on the SVTC.

The hardest thing to get used to is the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd, and to a lesser extent, even 3rd gear. You are supposed to keep the RPMs down for the first 1000 miles of break-in. You have to pay attestinon to do that. One I finally got past the 1,000, it became even more clear as to howe quick to would hit redline. It has a lot of torque and plenty of get up and go even with the rev limiter but you just have to get used to quick shifting gears 1-3. Rev limiter comes in a 70 MPH in 3rd gear. 90 MPH in 4th gear. Haven't tried 5th but based on the other gears, I would suspect that you would hit it at around 110 in 5th and likely not ever hit it is 6th.

Shop carefully, a lot of people payed MRSP or very close to it. There are, or at least were, some 2018 SVTCs on the market for just under $20,000.

Edited by Freebird

Thanks for your feedback on the TC, Freebird. I have an '07 and never really did any mods on the handlebars and height of the bike. I stand 5'5" and I find the RSV to be just perfect for me without any problems on my sitting position. I am now very curious as to how the TC will feel now with a lower seat. The lower seat does sound exciting to me since I am not a tall guy, but this remains to be seen. There is a local Yamaha store here in York, Pa. and they have the '18 Gray but it does not have the package options. When I get the chance this coming weekend, I really would like to sit on it and see how it feels in person. If I have the choice in color, I really like the Raspberry one. :)

At any rate, the shifting sounds like a little different on the RSV and I 100% agree to you to take it easy on the RPMs as you are breaking it in. I always drive my newer vehicles and give it a much longer break-in period to say the least. If one day I get the TC, I probably will give it a longer break-in period...about 10K miles or so....LOL The more I keep on looking at pictures of the new Star Venture, the more I am falling in love with it. :beer: However, I've read some post here that some owners are having problems with the Navigation system and some minor oil leaks. This I'll have to read on a different thread. I'll keep in touch and again, thanks for the input. Ride Safe.

I probably will give it a longer break-in period...about 10K miles or so....LOL The more I keep on looking at pictures of the new Star Venture, the more I am falling in love with it. :beer: However, I've read some post here that some owners are having problems with the Navigation system and some minor oil leaks. This I'll have to read on a different thread. I'll keep in touch and again, thanks for the input. Ride Safe.

Good morning N3FOL. I had an '06 RSV and loved the bike putting 75K on it in just over 5 years of owning it. I've had my SVTC now since the end of April and love the change. I have ~8,000 miles on it already thanks to a 2200 Mi. vacation on it and I've had to travel (by plane) for business for 6 - 7 weeks during that time. Basically, getting rid of the business travel, I'm averaging 1800 - 2000 miles a month on it. I have not had any issues with the bike, at all. I believe the navigation could use some changes but to be honest I have not used it much at all. For our trip I used my phone for GPS. The complaints about way points I cannot verify because of this. I did used it to find gas, food etc. As far as the heat issues that have been mentioned by some, I have not experienced those. I live in Houston so it feels a little warmer than the RSV. We are sitting on an engine. I did drill out my exhaust though for a little deeper sound which I think is perfect, still not too loud. I'm 5'7 on a good day :rotfl:and a 28" inseam and the bike fits me well. I ride pretty much every day, the agreement with my wife is under a 40% chance of rain. I had a self imposed low of 40 but that will definitely change with this bike. I also put on Rox risers based on comments here and love them. 2 things I wish I would have done when purchasing the bike was to add the lower wind deflectors and the rack on the trunk. I will probably do both of these later this year.

I am curious as to where are all the 2020's, haven't seen no mention of them. I am now about 30 points away from hitting my goal for my credit score. I have been trying to find the info on the 2020 Eluder thats the one I really want. That blue damn that blue. I did also sit on the gun metal grey venture at Jay Hatfield. They had another bike in there a little while back The Yamaha Bolt. But I asked for a test ride on it and they said they don't do test rides. I said I guess you guys don't sell much here do you! Then walked out the door. I may have to go to Springfield or Arkansas to test the Bolt out. I also asked when they would be getting the New Venture in and they told me they sell more Honda's then Yamaha's. That's because that's about all they stock. I have had better luck with Yamaha's over Honda's.

I also put on Rox risers based on comments here and love them. 2 things I wish I would have done when purchasing the bike was to add the lower wind deflectors and the rack on the trunk. I will probably do both of these later this year.

Thanks for your input. Really happy that you are enjoying your TC. I really like the design and features of the bike, despite being belt driven. Wonder how long will those belts last on the TC before it needs to be replaced. As far as the Rox risers, I am curious as to why you would need one. On my '07, I've never had any mods on the bar and my riding position is just fine and being 2 inches shorter than you.

My RSV will need a new front tire soon which I already have ordered online. This will give me a good excuse to stop by our local Yamaha shop and physically sit on their TC that they have in their inventory.

If you are comfortable with them they way they are, then you simply don't need them. I am tall but I ride in a very relaxed position. I ride with my feet extended out on the highway pegs and leaned back against the backrest. Even though I have long arms, it creates too much reach to the handlebars and I get a bad pain in my shoulders. I use the risers not so much to raise the bars but to bring them back towards me. No shoulder pain that way.

Thanks for your input. Really happy that you are enjoying your TC. I really like the design and features of the bike, despite being belt driven. Wonder how long will those belts last on the TC before it needs to be replaced. As far as the Rox risers, I am curious as to why you would need one. On my '07, I've never had any mods on the bar and my riding position is just fine and being 2 inches shorter than you.

My RSV will need a new front tire soon which I already have ordered online. This will give me a good excuse to stop by our local Yamaha shop and physically sit on their TC that they have in their inventory.

I put the risers on after reading what seemed to be hundreds of comments here and elsewhere regarding hand numbness. I experienced this on the RSV also. I had tried adjusting the bars on the RSV and it helped some from when I bought it used. Based on the way I sit on the bike I found that I needed the bars a little under 2" further back on both bikes. This virtually eliminated the numbness issue I would experience. I also just feel completely relaxed with the bars slightly back and up from where they were when I got it from the dealer. As a side note I also tried all of the seat positions. I have the stock seat and the small back rest has 3 positions. None of these changed my comfort level or helped with the numbness I experienced.

• 5 months later...

Well Ive been tossing this around . I have about 86000 on my 02 now , original calendar bike from Cucamonga 3rd owner. shes been a good bike for me but now considering the Transcontinental. Curious about how I'm going to tow my trailer with it and if the Belt drive is to be a concern.

Venture.jpg

Thanks

PJ