IGNORED

Quicksilver Oil 10W-40 & 20W-50 JASO rated

Du-Rron

No problemo...!

I brought it up cause I was walking past the oil display and saw the oil...once I realized it was certified by Japan, I took pics and put it on the forum for those who might be looking. I was surprised to find it. I've got 2 oil changes coming up. Will try it on both scoots.

I have a Kaw VN900C that I put the Quicksilver in also. Nothing has blown up yet. Seems to work as well as the T6.

• 4 months later...
just food for thought but when I installed the carbon fiber clutch in my there was a warning not to be used with Harley Davidson type oils.

Installed the clutch in your what?...Harley?

This is a different conversation. However, they were telling you to use a JASO oil, like Quicksilver.

DO NOT use the formula plus Harley oil.

Harleyclutch.jpg

Anyways, this a different topic altogether and vague statements only serve to muddy the water.

Edited by Du-Rron

In past times, auto oil may have been okay to use in bikes. But the newer oils are not the same. If you start a new/reman flat tappet auto engine with modern oil the cam will most likely be wiped out requiring another rebuild. Special oil is required for the startup an break-in of a reman flat tappet engine. This makes me wonder if it is not the best oil for high revving motorcycle engines.

Another thing a guy who works in an oil company lab posted on the F150 forum is that synthetic oil will not stick to engine parts after shutdown. All of it will drain to the base. Something he referred to as a "tackifier" has to be added to synthetic oil to correct this. Otherwise an engine will start up without proper lube if it is allowed to sit for a long time. I remember Flyingfool speaking of Valvoline oil. As I remember he stated he will not use Valvoline motorcycle oil again because rust formed on the top of his engine after sitting a long time. So, I think I will use conventional oil in my bikes in the future, especially the water cooled ones. My smelly opinions:icon_lurker:

In past times, auto oil may have been okay to use in bikes. But the newer oils are not the same. If you start a new/reman flat tappet auto engine with modern oil the cam will most likely be wiped out requiring another rebuild. Special oil is required for the startup an break-in of a reman flat tappet engine. This makes me wonder if it is not the best oil for high revving motorcycle engines.

Another thing a guy who works in an oil company lab posted on the F150 forum is that synthetic oil will not stick to engine parts after shutdown. All of it will drain to the base. Something he referred to as a "tackifier" has to be added to synthetic oil to correct this. Otherwise an engine will start up without proper lube if it is allowed to sit for a long time. I remember Flyingfool speaking of Valvoline oil. As I remember he stated he will not use Valvoline motorcycle oil again because rust formed on the top of his engine after sitting a long time. So, I think I will use conventional oil in my bikes in the future, especially the water cooled ones. My smelly opinions:icon_lurker:

Speaking of smelly opinions,, I have long held the thought that this is exactly the reason that HD - longggg ago went with Roller Lifters on their pushrod, air cooled V-Twins and also why, right after seeing the "113 under glass" out at Sturgis I mentioned being amazed that Yamaha decided to not follow HD's lead thereof but instead chose to not use them but go metal to metal flat lifters on the new bike. Perhaps modern day oils as being discussed have eliminated the need for the added costs of running rollers cause the new Venture seems to be doing fine - a tribute to Yamaha and to the oil industry for progress being made in there house!!

Personally,, I still use good old cheap Dollar Store 20/50 when CTFW in the desert :225: and 15/40 when CTFW anytime I am in @Flyingfool's region :cold:. I know,, not normal and wayyyyyy old school but hey, I never minded dropping the oil out of em at 3k miles and my 1st Gen's always seemed to love the stuff!!!:checkeredflag:

Yowzer yowzer yowzer step right up. It is an emission thing and a wet clutch thing that makes SOME motorcycles tricky to buy oil for. When you combine the Engine and the Transmission and make them run in the same oil things can get complicated. Harleys don't have this problem. They can run Slick50GreasySpikeSuperMoly in the engine and ATF in the clutch and neither cares about the other. However, when you run loaded flat-tappets and a clutch in the same oil, you have to be more picky about your oil.

BreakInOil.jpg

Looking at the above you will notice that ON-ROAD normal zinc levels for cars,trucks is from 800 to 1200 in ZINC. But... motorcycles are only about 1100 in zinc. WHUT??? Well if you get a lot of ZINC & MOLY in your oil your clutch will not like it. Look at the BREAK-IN OIL at 3600 ppm in ZINC. Wow, your cams would polish out nicely but you would not get anywhere because your clutch would be slipping so badly. If you added the TBPLUS ZINC OIL ADDITIVE at 31000 ppm in ZINC, you would have to chase your motorcycle across the street when the ignition was off it would be so slippery. Remember the folks trying to grip a screwdriver freshly dipped into STP??? You get the idea.

Now, only SOME motorcycles are so picky about their oil to keep their cams in their guts. The Yamaha V-4 is not that picky about its oil. It wants something around the old SH flavor or above with a hint of JASO to keep the clutch happy.

Tackifiers: All oils have em... part of the package.

• 4 weeks later...

Today, our local Walmart had Quicksilver synthetic motorcycle oil at closeout prices of $3.99/qt, just 3 qts left. The clerk stocking the shelves said she didn't think they were going to sell it any more. Might want to check your local Walmart if you want this brand.

They have lots of marine Quicksilver oil on the shelves.

Today, our local Walmart had Quicksilver synthetic motorcycle oil at closeout prices of $3.99/qt, just 3 qts left. The clerk stocking the shelves said she didn't think they were going to sell it any more. Might want to check your local Walmart if you want this brand.

They have lots of marine Quicksilver oil on the shelves.

Dayum...

Maybe I can get the stuff online... or maybe this is the time to check out the new Amazon Oil?!?!?

I did the oil change to Quicksilver 20-50 synthetic on the RSV 3 weeks ago. New filter.

It's a quieter ride now and real easy shifting. Took it up to Phoenix and she ran nice all the way at 80mph. Last weekend Mark on his HD Ultra and I on the RSV took off for a long run to the west coast of Arizona for a chili cook off. Rode out I-10 almost to Quartzite then headed northeast to Salome where the cook off was. I-10 was loaded with truckers and we had to keep up the pace around 75 to 80 despite a high head wind. Got 31mpg's on both the HD and the RSV. Lots of wind. The 2 lanes home up to Wickenburg then back to Phoenix were nice....Bike rode fine, engine was quieter than normal...so I think I'm going to like the Quicksilver.

And yea...the clutch is still slipping a touch in 4th or 5th when I roll on hard. So just waiting for some time to order the kit. Think I'll replace everything. Wouldn't hurt and then I don't have to think about it for the rest of my riding life!

Some pics of the cars there for the show and the chili booths...I forgot to get pics of the bikes sitting in the sun....

20190216_140350.jpg20190216_140403.jpg20190216_140601.jpg20190216_142444.jpg

But it was cool out...low 50's during the day. We have had some cold fronts come through...one right after another. This week in Green Valley I will be in the 50's with below freezing temps at night. Expecting snow again by the end of the week....really? "Go to Arizona they said. No snow they said." So not much riding this past month.

Edited by videoarizona
add