IGNORED

Quicksilver Oil 10W-40 & 20W-50 JASO rated

Du-Rron

Starting today, I am going to try Quicksilver Full Synthetic Motorcycle oil in the 10W-40 variety.

For all you new owners of the SVTC you may want to give it a try in the 20W-50 formula which is JASO MA2 rated. (Mobil1 20W-50 no longer carries the Jaso rating on their 20W-50 oil).

I bought mine at Wal-Mart for $7.98 a qt. The 20W-50 is available by the gallon for less.

QuicksilverOil_1.jpg

Quicksilveroil_2.jpg

QUICKSILVER.jpg

Here is page 30 excerpted from the full JASO list with the Quicksilver Oil Hilighted in yellow..

JASOpage30.pdf

Here is the full listing of JASO oils.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

That's going to be hard for me. I've been using Mobil 1 in my bikes for over 20 years. They say that the VTwin formula is specifically designed for Harleys and I guess they don't require the JASO rating. Haven't checked my manual yet but I'll be the Yamaha does.

I figured that would be he case. Oh well, I guess I'll have to decide which oil to use. I may try the Quicksilver. I know nothing about it.

A couple of things impressed me:

1. In their ad above they don't just say that they are better than some "leading brands", they call 'em out by name. Lucas & Amzoil.

2. They submit and pass, and then pay for JASO licensing standards, unlike some other oils that do not (cough cough rotella cough)

3. The oil is bottled/speced by Mercury Marine (see back of label) and is sold at the same place where they sell motorcycles & $100K+ stern drives.

4. Wow, they sell the same oil at Walmart.

I change oil this Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

I understand but am absolutely not a fan of YamaLube. I tried them before and it resulted in more noise, harder shifting, and based upon those two factors....seemed to lose its viscosity within a thousand miles or less. Yamaha absolutely cannot void your warranty for using another brand of oil as long as it meets the required specifications.

I’m just a spectator but since this is a brand new design wouldn’t it be prudent to stick with Yamalube for a year? I’d rather have that disclaimer dismissed in the event of problems.

The manufacturer cannot specify a BRAND of oil to use anymore than they can specify a BRAND of gasoline to use.

They can only require you to use a certain SPECIFICATION of product (oil) ie.. API SG or better with a JASO spec of MA or better.

Plenty of oils out there that you can buy that meet and/or exceed the manufacturers spec that will maintain your warranty. Quicksilver Oil is one of them.

Side Note: I run AUTOMOBILE oil filters on my motorcycles. Yeeeee Haaaaaa. But, thank you for your concern and it was an excellent question that other folks may be wondering about as well. You don't have to use Ford oil on Fords, or Yamaha oil on Yamahas, or Toyota oil on Toyotas, to maintain warranty coverage.

The manufacturer cannot specify a BRAND of oil to use anymore than they can specify a BRAND of gasoline to use.

They can only require you to use a certain SPECIFICATION of product (oil) ie.. API SG or better with a JASO spec of MA or better.

Plenty of oils out there that you can buy that meet and/or exceed the manufacturers spec that will maintain your warranty. Quicksilver Oil is one of them.

Side Note: I run AUTOMOBILE oil filters on my motorcycles. Yeeeee Haaaaaa. But, thank you for your concern and it was an excellent question that other folks may be wondering about as well. You don't have to use Ford oil on Fords, or Yamaha oil on Yamahas, or Toyota oil on Toyotas, to maintain warranty coverage.

just a side not. Harley does require Harley brand oil. In the event your overpriced and underpowered scoot grenades it’s engine, they send the oil off before starting work. I do not know what exact additive they use, but it does mark their oil. I was at a dealership about 6 years ago and was asking about running amsoil because of being air cooled. The Harley tech told me that about their oil then pointed at a bike and said it was on its 3rd motor replaced under warranty. I thanked them for their time and left. And just FYI, yamalube is not used at the factory. I spent 3 years in logistics for Yamaha. They buy bulk oil that matches required specs. Sorry for digressing!

Harley does require Harley brand oil.

Harley PREFERS you to use their oil and to have the bike serviced at the dealership. They cannot require either to maintain warranty coverage. In the event you have non-Harley in your scoot, as per the owners manual, you can always say, as per the owners manual, "you have not had an opportunity"....:thumbsup2:

HarleyDavidsonOilRequirement.jpg

2. They submit and pass, and then pay for JASO licensing standards, unlike some other oils that do not (cough cough rotella cough)

I beg to differ

[h=3]OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil[/h]

• API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
  • ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

Here is 2 more I dont find, and know for sure are on there. Victory oil and Polairis/Indian oils.

That's kinda what I mean. Those companies can engineer to the standard, just not submit, pass, and pay for the licensing fee. They can say that they are JASO rated... but not really. Quicksilver addresses that topic in their advertising.

http://goqcrew.com/powersports-lubricants-why-jaso/

then page down

Now, those oils, Victory/Polaris, probably will pass JASO just fine and are very good to use, especially since Vics and Indians have wet clutches. They just haven't walked the walk like everybody else on the 40+ page list.

But I digress as well. The only reason I brought up (cough cough rotella cough) is because they have changed their formulation so much. I was a believer and I drank the kool-aid as well and used Rotella for years in non-diesel applications because it was also API SN Rated. But, no more. It no longer is SN rated, and I have moved on just like they have. I also cannot blame them for going after their current diesel market with their current diesel oil. I enjoyed using their product for years.

Now, we are in the mix-up. The new Rotella is on the left, the old Rotella is on the right.

2differentRotellaT6.jpg

Edited by Du-Rron

OK... Changed oil this weekend.

From: Rotella T6 5W-40 oil formulation that still had SN on the bottle.

To: Quicksilver Synthetic 10W-40.

Today is Tuesday and I have driven it about 100 miles since the oil change. I can tell you that I have noticed... nothing.

Still shifts well. Maybe on the outside chance it is 1 decibel quieter, just maybe, but that just may be a mental thing since the 10W-40 Quicksilver is just a touch thicker than the Rotella T6 5W-40 when pouring it in @ 82 degrees. We will see how the stuff is next summer when it is 100+ around here.

I see no downsides to the Quicksilver oil vs the Rotella T6.

Upside is: Motorcycle rated synthetic JASO oil, wide availability at Wal-Mart for median price, also carried by my Powersports dealer.

OK... Changed oil this weekend.

From: Rotella T6 5W-40 oil formulation that still had SN on the bottle.

To: Quicksilver Synthetic 10W-40.

Today is Tuesday and I have driven it about 100 miles since the oil change. I can tell you that I have noticed... nothing.

Still shifts well. Maybe on the outside chance it is 1 decibel quieter, just maybe, but that just may be a mental thing since the 10W-40 Quicksilver is just a touch thicker than the Rotella T6 5W-40 when pouring it in @ 82 degrees. We will see how the stuff is next summer when it is 100+ around here.

I see no downsides to the Quicksilver oil vs the Rotella T6.

Upside is: Motorcycle rated synthetic JASO oil, wide availability at Wal-Mart for median price, also carried by my Powersports dealer.

I used QuickSilver myself 20w-50 but I found out it’s a “synthetic blend” and not a full synthetic. It does make a difference in its ability to resist breakdown from shear forces.

i just did an oil change and sprung for the YamaLube 15w-50 full synthetic. We’ll see how it goes.

I used QuickSilver myself 20w-50 but I found out it’s a “synthetic blend” and not a full synthetic. It does make a difference in its ability to resist breakdown from shear forces.

i just did an oil change and sprung for the YamaLube 15w-50 full synthetic. We’ll see how it goes.

It is labeled as a "Full Symthetic" so I dunno what to say about that.

Just looking to replace my beloved T6 so don't need the most uber oil available as long as it works as least as well as the T6. The price is right there with the T6 and I can buy the Quicksilver while I am at the same store buying my underwear, Dr. Pepper & Cheetos. We will see how it works in a few thousand miles, but I have a feeling that it is gonna be okay.

I know a guy currently that buys his oil based upon whatever is on sale at the local conveinience store, runs his bikes for a couple hundred thousand miles each, and has never had an oil related failure. I myself, a long, long, long time ago was a habitual user of Castrol GTX 10W-40 & 20W-50 before synthetic oil was in vogue and had excellent results from it as well.

I decided long ago to give up "conventional oil" even though its ratings would meet/pass manufacturers specs. T6 for me was the sweet spot of pricing, availability, and just plain working. I have absolutely no doubt that the Yamalube group IV/V oil will blow away most anything out there in lab performance, but I feel it misses the marks for me in terms of pricing and availability As with everything else, if they can get the price down a few more dollars and up the availability factor to a wal-mart level, and still be a group Iv/V oil, then I will beat a path to the door.

Please temper what I have said knowing that I would have no problem switching back to Castrol GTX 10W-40 (abiut $17.00 gallon) and just doing oil changes every 2K miles.

I figured that would be he case. Oh well, I guess I'll have to decide which oil to use. I may try the Quicksilver. I know nothing about it.

Used QuickSilver many years during my bass fishing days and owner of several outboards. They are a leader in outboard oils. I may try it, but so far I have been happy with my T6.

It is labeled as a "Full Symthetic" so I dunno what to say about that.

Just looking to replace my beloved T6 so don't need the most uber oil available as long as it works as least as well as the T6. The price is right there with the T6 and I can buy the Quicksilver while I am at the same store buying my underwear, Dr. Pepper & Cheetos. We will see how it works in a few thousand miles, but I have a feeling that it is gonna be okay.

I know a guy currently that buys his oil based upon whatever is on sale at the local conveinience store, runs his bikes for a couple hundred thousand miles each, and has never had an oil related failure. I myself, a long, long, long time ago was a habitual user of Castrol GTX 10W-40 & 20W-50 before synthetic oil was in vogue and had excellent results from it as well.

I decided long ago to give up "conventional oil" even though its ratings would meet/pass manufacturers specs. T6 for me was the sweet spot of pricing, availability, and just plain working. I have absolutely no doubt that the Yamalube group IV/V oil will blow away most anything out there in lab performance, but I feel it misses the marks for me in terms of pricing and availability As with everything else, if they can get the price down a few more dollars and up the availability factor to a wal-mart level, and still be a group Iv/V oil, then I will beat a path to the door.

Please temper what I have said knowing that I would have no problem switching back to Castrol GTX 10W-40 (abiut $17.00 gallon) and just doing oil changes every 2K miles.

The YamaLube was a bit pricey compared to the QS, but they had $3 off per qt. so it was 10.99 per qt and takes 6 to do with filter.

Sorry I musta missed that?!?!

No problemo...!

I brought it up cause I was walking past the oil display and saw the oil...once I realized it was certified by Japan, I took pics and put it on the forum for those who might be looking. I was surprised to find it. I've got 2 oil changes coming up. Will try it on both scoots.