IGNORED

Intercom question

@ChiefGunner or anybody else who can answer this question. I haven't used the intercom system yet. I read early reports that the intercom was somewhat screwed up in that if you used the intercom with the CB on, it would transmit over the CB. If true, that is a terrible oversight and one that I hope Yamaha will address.

In reading through the manual, I am a bit confused though. If I understand it correctly, if you turn on the VOX, then you don't need to push the talk buttons to use the intercom. In that case, I would think that your conversation would not transmit over the CB and you would simply use the talk button to transmit. Am I correct?

If so, that seems like it would work just fine once you get the VOX adjusted to your liking.

ChiefGunner or anybody else who can answer this question. I haven't used the intercom system yet. I read early reports that the intercom was somewhat screwed up in that if you used the intercom with the CB on, it would transmit over the CB. If true, that is a terrible oversight and one that I hope Yamaha will address.

In reading through the manual, I am a bit confused though. If I understand it correctly, if you turn on the VOX, then you don't need to push the talk buttons to use the intercom. In that case, I would think that your conversation would not transmit over the CB and you would simply use the talk button to transmit. Am I correct?

If so, that seems like it would work just fine once you get the VOX adjusted to your liking.

Hi Don,

Congrats on your purchase awesome deal.

Yes it's true with both intercom and CB turned on your private conversation will broadcast over the CB. This needs a fixing! Many owners are not happy with this setup. As for the VOX. I tried this setup as well and the issue remains, also the VOX setting are finicky, road noise will activate the VOX if the mic sensativity is set high and if its to low you will need to scream into the mic. I could not find a happy medium here. The VOX needs some work as well.

Also note, unlike the rider PTT button, for the passenger, when the PTT button is pushed once the mic's will turn on and stay on until the passenger push's the PTT button again to turn off the mic's. Again if the CB is turned on as well ,the rider passenger conversation will broadcast over the CB.

Myself as well as other owners have reported this issue to Yamaha.. Hopefully the next software update will address these issues...

Unlike some other owners ( GPS related ) I have not had any other issues with the Infotainment system .

Sat Radio works great, I have traffic and weather service added to my account and will receive weather alerts, traffic alerts and radar maps via the Sirius service. Also bluetooth phone connection works very well, answering a phone call is a breeze.

Enjoy your new ride!

Thanks for the reply. It was sort of what I expected but I hoped I was wrong. Surely they will come out with a fix for that in the near future. Nobody wants their private conversations broadcast over the CB.

Hi Don, I was one of those early on who brought this issue up to Yamaha directly. Also, you should be aware that currently the NAV system will only allow 5 way points to be uploaded on any route. This is very anemic for a touring bike and have made them aware of that as well.

The nice thing is that all the different functions are enabled or changed in the software program so it’s not a “stuck with it” situation. We’re just waiting on Yamaha to write the software update to address it.

I agree with you. I'm getting not bent out of shape over it. I feel fairly confident that these issues will be addressed soon enough.

I just checked and my software is version 12.0.6. Will have to look through the threads and see if that is the latest or not. Either way, everything as worked with no issues so far so I'll likely leave it as is until the update it to correct one of the problems that you mention.

I guess I was lucky because they had everything activated before I left on it. I've read reports from some people with whom that wasn't the case and they had some problems doing so.

Edited by Freebird

I agree with you. I'm getting bent out of shape over it. I feel fairly confident that these issues will be addressed soon enough.

I just checked and my software is version 12.0.6. Will have to look through the threads and see if that is the latest or not. Either way, everything as worked with no issues so far so I'll likely leave it as is until the update it to correct one of the problems that you mention.

I guess I was lucky because they had everything activated before I left on it. I've read reports from some people with whom that wasn't the case and they had some problems doing so.

12.0.6 is the latest software version.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Sena 20s with the Harley Davidson CB/Audio clamp kit. This allows me to be connected to my passenger using the intercom feature of the Sena, but hard wired to the head unit to PTT the CB radio and listen to the audio in my helmet. Also, let me be the first of many to say that the audio quality coming through the headsets recommended by Yamaha is GARBAGE!!! The Sena boosts that quality to a level that is quite enjoyable. Plus, you have the added capability of talking to other riders in your group that may not have a CB. The great thing about the HD clamp is that it also comes with a cover plate so that if the Sena is dead or not along for the ride, you can throw on the cover plate and still use the on-board features of the Yammy head unit. Best of both worlds.