IGNORED

Technical and slow speed maneuvering

So buying my new to me 07 RSV has put me in a new world of riding. I have been riding for nearly 10 years now and I own a 06 vstar classic and a 15 fj09. Both bikes are fairly easy to ride as far as riding styles go. My vstar is extremely low so the center of gravity makes maneuvering pretty easy. The fj09 is flickable and sometimes too maneuverable. Now with my RSV, it's a much bigger, heavier bike and I want to learn how to handle it.

What are some good exercises I can do to learn my bike and its limitations? I usually just play around in a parking lot but with this bike it's so much bigger that if I screw up I just can't stick my foot out and correct or stop things from going south. Anybody have pointers or advice for a new RSV owner to help make handling these big girls easier? I am probably going to lower the front end this weekend to start but then I need to learn techniques.

I know this is probably the wrong subforum to post this but I'm afraid if I post this to any other sub it wont get seen. Plus in a way this is tech talk... just a different kind of tech.

First off, WELCOME!

Getting a copy of the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD will show you a lot of great info on handling the big bikes.

As for your practice in the parking lot, get some garden hose and split it and use it to wrap the crash bars to avoid scratches when it tips. Typically when an RSV tips it will go about 45° and stop at the crash bars with no other damage. BUT the RSV is known to have weak crash bars that will bend if you tip it. Carbon_One makes a bolt on stiffener so the crash bars will not bend when you drop it.

These bikes are known to be top heavy, it does not have to tip very far before you will not stop it with one leg.

Welcome to the nuthouse!

As Jeff said, get a copy of ride like a pro. What Jerry does with a big bike is outstanding to watch.

Lower the front end by 1 inch will help with the slow speed maneuvering as well as make it a tad easier to plant both feet firmly. Remember to point the shraeder valve on the top of the fork tubes out at an angle so it will be easier to put air in the front forks. Do this once you get the fork tube at the height you want then twist it to where you want the valve to sit. tighten the bolts and done.

Also, pick up a small air pump. The kind that doesn't release air as you unscrew the valve. You can only put a max of 7lbs in each front shock...the hand pump is the best way to do that.

Then just go out and ride it. Take your time and stay away from gravel and dirt until you gain confidence. The RSV is a forgiving scoot but it is heavy so practice.

Make sure you let the engine rev. These V4's love to rev. I rarely shift into 5th gear unless I'm going over 65mph. You can ride all day in 4th gear at 70mph and the engine likes it. So don't treat it like a typical Vtwin.

BTW, I loved my 650 VStar Classic. Great bike to scoot around town on!

I was nervous when I got the RSV. But now it's like second nature. You will enjoy putting miles on that bike!

Lots of tech info on this site...enjoy the search!

Yea I plan on lowering the front end this weekend. Hopefully that will go smoothly. I am looking forward to being able to get more confidence to where I can do tight manuvers and not be worried. At the moment I can do what needs to be done but I know it is capable of doing so much more.

Yea I plan on lowering the front end this weekend. Hopefully that will go smoothly. I am looking forward to being able to get more confidence to where I can do tight manuvers and not be worried. At the moment I can do what needs to be done but I know it is capable of doing so much more.

Yup I'm in the same boat, 40 odd yrs riding, and feel like a 'newbie' with Barney. Having to think about it when I stop, car parks, 'reversing' off the car pad on to the drive. Mini roundabouts, tight slow speed corners all now I'm 'thinking about'. The other issue here is an abundance of 'tar snakes' for road repairs, and we also get a lot of 'tar bleeding' on the roads, so you end up with shiny patches that are as slippery as hell in the wet.

As you said, I am sure the bike is capable of more than than I am doing, but I am happy with so far, and only a bit over 2k km's on it.

I know they are FAR from any form of the stuff suggested from "Ride Like A Pro" but a friend ask me to post something for him that may assist him years ago... I did hear back that my cheasy little suggestion vid did help some so thought I would stick it in here.. Hope it helps!!

Also including one my wife and did on @videoarizona s bike this summer when he blessed us with a visit this past summer.. I/we found his Gen 2 to be just as "rideable" and did a short vid about it too = included for your benefit..

If they help = GREAT,, if they dont = toss em out with the wash :big-grin-emoticon:

Just got done lowering my front end but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But sitting on the bike it definitely feels better. I don't have to tippy toe so bad and I can duck walk the bike around a little easier if I have to. Still not an easy task with my stumpy legs but it's doable in a pinch as long as its flat concrete. How does everybody else move this heavy thing around by hand? What's the best way to do it? This is definitely a whole new world to me with a bike this big and I feel like I am learning to ride all over again. Makes me feel a little stupid because I am sure there are things I should know but I just don't. But then again this bike is double the size of my Vstar 650 and way heavier than my FJ09.

Nice to see you guys out having fun on the 2nd gen.

I guess you are right about practice. Your million miles to my 110,000 miles is what makes the “comfort “ difference in slow speed riding. You ride the Ventures at slow speeds like I was able to ride my xr250 dirt bike. Some day when I am about 140 years old and have a million miles I’ll do my slow speed video but I am sure I still won’t be as good at it as you. You always amaze.

Love you my brother @cowpuc !

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@cowpuc I hate to be the bearer of the news but Videoarizona has a lowered front end on the bike you rode which makes slow speed riding easier on the 2nd Gen

I just noticed he mentioned that in his response to my Pirelli MT66 tire report.

Still stands that your million miles trumps ( no politics here) my 110,000 miles for slow speed riding comfort.

I will say that it with 37,000 miles on my Gen 2 it is getting easier to ride.

VentureFar...

Yesterday went on a pretty extensive ride and immediately I could tell the bike handled way better. Honestly it handled much like my vstar 650 only a little heavier feeling. It take a little used to the clutch and trying to drag it, considering as soon as you let out it's go time.. Its pretty touchy. Not sure if that is because its a hydraulic clutch or what. I think it's just because it's a new to me bike and I am still learning it. Now it's just time to work on my skills.

Nice to see you guys out having fun on the 2nd gen.

I guess you are right about practice. Your million miles to my 110,000 miles is what makes the “comfort “ difference in slow speed riding. You ride the Ventures at slow speeds like I was able to ride my xr250 dirt bike. Some day when I am about 140 years old and have a million miles I’ll do my slow speed video but I am sure I still won’t be as good at it as you. You always amaze.

Love you my brother cowpuc !

VentureFar...

:big-grin-emoticon:,, right back at cha my brother,,, right back at cha!!!!

cowpuc I hate to be the bearer of the news but Videoarizona has a lowered front end on the bike you rode which makes slow speed riding easier on the 2nd Gen

I just noticed he mentioned that in his response to my Pirelli MT66 tire report.

Still stands that your million miles trumps ( no politics here) my 110,000 miles for slow speed riding comfort.

I will say that it with 37,000 miles on my Gen 2 it is getting easier to ride.

VentureFar...

Yea yea yea,,, I know,, that Vaz is a cheater.... I would LOVE a shot a slow riding one set up stock... I think I will start a "Go-Fund A 2nd Gen For Puc So He Can Slow Ride It" account... We had to steal Vaz's bike while he was sleeping and fortunately he didn't turn us in for Grand Theft :missingtooth:..... :lightbulb:,, I wonder if that Go Fundy thingy would produce enough gullible,, I mean compassionate interest from enough lop eared slow riding Gen 2 riding varmints that I could scarf on that beat up old bike that @Freebird is selling... I have $25 dollars left over from buying our new Hybrid car so all I need is 6725 more $$'s and I could be practicing my slow riding on that one!!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Yesterday went on a pretty extensive ride and immediately I could tell the bike handled way better. Honestly it handled much like my vstar 650 only a little heavier feeling. It take a little used to the clutch and trying to drag it, considering as soon as you let out it's go time.. Its pretty touchy. Not sure if that is because its a hydraulic clutch or what. I think it's just because it's a new to me bike and I am still learning it. Now it's just time to work on my skills.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:big-grin-emoticon:,, right back at cha my brother,,, right back at cha!!!!

Yea yea yea,,, I know,, that Vaz is a cheater.... I would LOVE a shot a slow riding one set up stock... I think I will start a "Go-Fund A 2nd Gen For Puc So He Can Slow Ride It" account... We had to steal Vaz's bike while he was sleeping and fortunately he didn't turn us in for Grand Theft :missingtooth:..... :lightbulb:,, I wonder if that Go Fundy thingy would produce enough gullible,, I mean compassionate interest from enough lop eared slow riding Gen 2 riding varmints that I could scarf on that beat up old bike that Freebird is selling... I have $25 dollars left over from buying our new Hybrid car so all I need is 6725 more $$'s and I could be practicing my slow riding on that one!!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Yea, but I kept the stock size front tire! So you got what I feel is the best of both worlds!!

:beer::biker: