IGNORED

Pinch bolts missing or loose

I don't get into talking about general things on here regarding any of the previous Yamaha's I've had but I do believe this needs to be broadcast in regard to the 2018 Transcontinental. I found yesterday while visiting a Harley dealer in Brighton,Michigan by an astute salesman after bragging about my bikes attributes and traveling 30 miles to get there that one of my front end pinch bolts was missing and the other one was loose. I tightened up the one loose one by a good 3 turns and cautiously went to the dealer I got it from in AnnArbor,Mich to replace the missing one. I have to say I was cautiously driving there half expecting something to happen.

So where does the blame for this lay ? Did it start in Japan or here in the states. I'll be getting with Yamaha tomorrow to start the investigative procedure. So a word to the wise Check Your Pinch Bolts.

... there that one of my front end pinch bolts was missing and the other one was loose.

So where does the blame for this lay ? Did it start in Japan or here in the states. I'll be getting with Yamaha tomorrow to start the investigative procedure. So a word to the wise Check Your Pinch Bolts.

Pinch bolts where? Wheel? Lower Tree? Upper Tree?

How many miles are on your bike?

neato comment above about Harley dealers knowing loose bolts ;>)

Pinch bolts where? Wheel? Lower Tree? Upper Tree?

How many miles are on your bike?

neato comment above about Harley dealers knowing loose bolts ;>)

That's what I was thinking. I'm guessing the bike arrived at Dealer in a box and had to be assembled, and that is where the fault will lie.

Either that, or why you were inside the Hardly Dealership, all the staff was drooling over it, and sabotaged it. :detective:

That's what I was thinking. I'm guessing the bike arrived at Dealer in a box and had to be assembled, and that is where the fault will lie.

Either that, or why you were inside the Hardly Dealership, all the staff was drooling over it, and sabotaged it. :detective:

Or it could be a viberation issue common to V Twins. Blue Loctite is your best friend in this case.

I doubt that installing the front end is part of the dealer assembly. I am almost sure that the bike is shipped from Japan with the front forks installed. That means that they were likely left out or loose at the factory. Still, part of the dealer assembly is to go over the bike and make sure that all the nuts and bolts are tight. Would be very easy to miss something though.

Or it could be a viberation issue common to V Twins. Blue Loctite is your best friend in this case.

The SVTC is NOT subject to the vibration issue common to "the other brand" of V Twins, so I am relatively certain this is an isolated incident.

Until the OP responds as to which pinch bolts were loose, mostly speculation. Very likely due to the assembly process at the dealer. The sad reality about motorcycle shops, and it's the way it was when I worked in one 30 odd years ago, the assembly of motorcycles is done by entry level people, not experienced technicians. I worked for a multi-line Japanese dealer, all manufacturers have detailed assembly instructions beginning with how to un-crate it, where all the parts are located in the crate or on the bike, step by step, bolt by bolt, torque specs, all of it. So No, It would not be easy to miss something unless you are not using the manufacturers assembly guide and checklist and just winging it.

All too often, depending on the dealer, the bikes are un-crated and assembled by warehousing personnel who may or may not even have the Assembly manual and prep checklist in the warehouse. There is also the "been doing this for years, don't need the assembly manual" types out there building bikes also. Nearly $30K for that bike, assembly by the cheapest, lowest bidder, and depending on what was left loose, potentially catastrophic outcome. What if he had been one of those riders who picks it up on Friday, decides he is putting his 600 miles on over the weekend and bring it back Monday for the 600 mile service?? I have had those type customers in our shop. New motorcycles can't leave with loose bolts, that is unacceptable in my book. OP is very lucky it was caught. Off Soap Box.

He should have a copy of the PDI checklist signed off by his dealer and the assembly tech. The PDI checklist should have all the assembly items on it as well as oil, fuel, tire pressure, etc. I would request a technician with a copy of the Venture TC assembly manual in Hand go over the entire bike front to back.

The Pinch Bolts in question were at the very bottom of the front wheel. The bike only has 2000 miles on it at this point, so still pretty new. I've had a lot of bikes in my time of various makes and NEVER had one with the lower pinch bolts loose. Had that salesman not noticed it I may have had a very rude awakening.

I should add that I have my suspicions that back in late February when I took possession that the mechanics putting it together weren't too adept at their work and not very thorough. While driving home I noticed a light on but without my reading glasses I wasn't sure what a light on the dash meant but upon arriving home determined with glasses that the bike was saying TIRE PRESSURE LOW. Sure enough I only had 31 Lbs in each tire.I did feel that the ride was pretty soft. Another thing about thoroughness the bike only had three tenths of a gallon of gas in the tank as I had to fill it up before departing for home. Thankfully a station was only 2 to 3 blocks away. In regards to yesterdays event the mechanic working on my bike was the new head mechanic and only there for three months.

you are not along. 5000 miles and after two service's i am going on a 10 day trip and decided to check over the bike. You guessed it.

the pinch bolts were lose also. one only finger tight and other one only had 10 ft lbs of torque on it. Bike didn't come with front wheel on it

so i blame it on Dealer prep. no harm done, Just glade i went over bike for this trip to Tenn form Delaware. Thanks for the Heads up.

I hope that by my finding and reporting the existing problem that others will take the time to check those lower pinch bolts on the front axle. You finding the same condition only reinforces a potential problem. Sure am glad you found it. I reported my findings to Yamaha Corporate but only received a polite thank you from the employee and nothing more was said. Please give Yamaha a call with your findings.

So what do you get for that "several hundred dollar dealer prep?" Unfortunately not what you should. While working on a Dodge dealer our PDI was a series of checklists. We signed off on item checked and our name and man number went on them. If something like this happened, well you just didnt want to go there. Reading another post in this thread it is sounding like it might not be just a spot issue. We had a run of Neons I think it was they had come out with additional instructions to tighten wheels. I guess the air wrench on the assembly line went bad for a couple days.

you are not along. 5000 miles and after two service's i am going on a 10 day trip and decided to check over the bike. You guessed it.

the pinch bolts were lose also. one only finger tight and other one only had 10 ft lbs of torque on it. Bike didn't come with front wheel on it

so i blame it on Dealer prep. no harm done, Just glade i went over bike for this trip to Tenn form Delaware. Thanks for the Heads up.

I would check those bolts again just in case it's a terminal vibration occurring.

• 1 year later...

OMG.

Just purchased a new Eluder this past weekend. I took it on the maiden voyage today, which was mostly awesome except this, I noticed a “clinking” noise and weird sensation at the front wheel. On closer inspection it turned out the axle pinch bolts were loose (!) and could be turned my hand. Fortunately I had just returned home after a 10 mile drive on the HIGHWAY, got out some tools and tightened everything up. Turned out the axle required tightening as well. I called the dealer and let them know, but I’m not sure who to blame it on. I was just reading through the forum and was totally shocked to hear that someone else had the same issue. I thought it was just a fluke but I wanted to share my story too. I have had many motorcycles over the years, I’ve never heard of loose axles or pinch bolts being a theme.....weird.

That is super interesting. I had no idea that dealerships would outsource that kind of work third party...

I talked to the dealer, sounds like they assembled the bike. I was told my feedback would go up the chain of command. That said, I know there are lots of parts on a bike but there are only a handful of critical items that has to be done right. Axles and suspension related items are on the top of that list for me.

It was my first purchase from this dealer. My overall experience with them was excellent aside from this detail.