IGNORED

Darksiding '18 Venture/Eluder

--

(Note: duplicate of thread in Darksiding Category. There's just more traffic here.)

I don't need to yet, but am planning on switching to dark on my '18 Eluder. Currently the rear tire is a Bridgestone 200/55R16 and is only available through dealers for $348. Ridiculous! Now I've been researching this quite a bit, mostly on the https://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-darkside-riders/ site as Gold Wings have about the same setup as we do but have been doing this for a longer time.

My probable replacement will be a Bridgestone Drive Guard RF, 205/55R16 as that's very slightly larger than OEM but is a run flat. Oh, yeah, costs about $135. too.

Has anyone tried anything else out yet?

--

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personal choice...but I will never Darkside..... I will replace the Bridgestone with the New Dunlop D 423 it is a 200/55R16 and is used stock on the new wing priced between $220-280 rear rubber. Multi rubber compound, better wear......

My personal opinion....

I went "double-dark" on my '03 Wing and just dark on my '13 Victory CCT.

- Less expensive by leaps and bounds when you factor in the initial tire price and the extended mileage you get out of it.

- as good or better handling especially on slippery surfaces

- smoother ride

- more weight capacity

- as good or better cornering especially on slippery surfaces such as tar snakes, wet pavement, etc

- and... I know this is a bit of a debatable point but there are tests that show "some" C/T tires have more tread on the ground in a corner than an M/C tire.

the ONLY downside I and many others find is it doesn't track as well on those ridges in the highway ... tends to want to run off the high point ... that said, you very quickly get used to it and don't even notice the difference after a while.

"some" say going into and out of a lean is an issue but with the right C/T, (one that has a slightly rounded outer edge), you really don't notice anything.

For me, a C/T is the ticket on a big tourer.

(and I know there are many nay-sayers out there ... that is their choice ... I'm not trying to sway them, only stating my personal experience and feelings and you can be sure I did a LOT of research on the subject before I pulled the trigger)

• 2 weeks later...

This is the tire I purchased for my SVTC - Achilles ATR sport 205/55R16XL 94W Achilles ATR sport 205 55R16XL 94W.jpg

I used this brand and style tire on my '09 Kawasaki Voyager and of the 104,000+ miles on that bike I got 30,000+ miles out of the first one and had 10,000+ on the second when I sold the bike to buy this one

Link to this tire for $57 https://www.tires-easy.com/205-55-16/achilles-tires/atr-sport/tirecode/MAA205516W

Edited by Greek

T the 104,000+ miles on that bike I got 30,000+ miles out of the first one and had 10,000+ on the second when I sold the bike to buy this one

hmmmm .... 104,000 - 30,000 - 10,000 = so by my calculation you got 64,000 miles out of the original stock M/C tire .... shoulda stuck with them .... :Bunny: :innocent-emoticon:

hmmmm .... 104,000 - 30,000 - 10,000 = so by my calculation you got 64,000 miles out of the original stock M/C tire .... shoulda stuck with them .... :Bunny: :innocent-emoticon:

that's a lot of wishfull thinking...I went through multiple motocycle tires avg 9800 mile on each one....like 7 at 220.00 each vs 2 at 68.00 each

This is the tire I purchased for my SVTC - Achilles ATR sport 205/55R16XL 94W https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114195

I used this brand and style tire on my '09 Kawasaki Voyager and of the 104,000+ miles on that bike I got 30,000+ miles out of the first one and had 10,000+ on the second when I sold the bike to buy this one

Link to this tire for $57 https://www.tires-easy.com/205-55-16/achilles-tires/atr-sport/tirecode/MAA205516W

--

That tire has the exact dimensions as I wanted and hoped it would fit. Have you actually put the tire on yet?

--

--

That tire has the exact dimensions as I wanted and hoped it would fit. Have you actually put the tire on yet?

--

Not yet. I purchased it but still have a couple thousand miles on the oem tire. others have installed tires this size this has been discussed on this facebook group's page as well https://www.facebook.com/groups/781935901987573/

Not yet. I purchased it but still have a couple thousand miles on the oem tire. others have installed tires this size this has been discussed on this facebook group's page as well https://www.facebook.com/groups/781935901987573/

--

I have contacted them for membership. Until then, you say others with 2018 Ventures/Eluders have already used this tire (size) with success?

--

• 3 weeks later...

--

I'm not a Facebook person, so maybe I don't know what to do, but I was accepted as a "member" or something, but I couldn't find any info about anyone who's used that sized tire on an '18 Venture. Have you tried to put it on yet? I'm interested in the clearance you have on the sides and if there's any contact on bottoming out. For sure $57. with shipping is IMPOSSIBLE to beat anywhere else. I do really want a run flat though in that size.

--

--

I'm not a Facebook person, so maybe I don't know what to do, but I was accepted as a "member" or something, but I couldn't find any info about anyone who's used that sized tire on an '18 Venture. Have you tried to put it on yet? I'm interested in the clearance you have on the sides and if there's any contact on bottoming out. For sure $57. with shipping is IMPOSSIBLE to beat anywhere else. I do really want a run flat though in that size.

--

Capture.JPG1.jpg Capture.JPG2.JPG hope this helps. this is another SVTC owners post on FB

--

Thanks for the info. Is his Venture an '18? He speaks of changing every year. Older Ventures may not have the same clearance.

--

• 3 weeks later...

Well, despite my vocal opposition to “Darksiding”; after watching closely from the rear and 80 y/o guy tear up the corners in Maggie Valley on a “Darksided” 09 Stratoliner I was really impressed. Did the research for a tire and found one but can’t find ANY MC or tire shop near me who will put it on the rim. 🤨

I’m over 13k miles and due for a rear tire but DO NOT want to pay $300+ for a tire.

if I have to stick with a MC tire I’ve found a much larger selection available if I’m will to go with 200/60r16 instead of the stock 200/55r16.

Any comments of suggestions??

Well, despite my vocal opposition to “Darksiding”; after watching closely from the rear and 80 y/o guy tear up the corners in Maggie Valley on a “Darksided” 09 Stratoliner I was really impressed. Did the research for a tire and found one but can’t find ANY MC or tire shop near me who will put it on the rim. 🤨

I’m over 13k miles and due for a rear tire but DO NOT want to pay $300+ for a tire.

if I have to stick with a MC tire I’ve found a much larger selection available if I’m will to go with 200/60r16 instead of the stock 200/55r16.

Any comments of suggestions??

Chief,

I've ran Darkside for the last 150,000 miles with my last tire being a runflat. I will be going runflat as son as the OEM is worn out. If you are capable of removing the wheel you can take it to Walmart and tell them you're putting it on a trilke. They are not able to balance but 4 oz of dyna beads and $7 and your oout of there.

Chief,

I've ran Darkside for the last 150,000 miles with my last tire being a runflat. I will be going runflat as son as the OEM is worn out. If you are capable of removing the wheel you can take it to Walmart and tell them you're putting it on a trilke. They are not able to balance but 4 oz of dyna beads and $7 and your oout of there.

For real? Walmart will Mount it? I know I have to bring them the tire & rim.

Never used dyna beads. Where do you get them and how do you put them in?

Won’t that sealant jack up your TPMS sensor? It’ll plug it up.

--

Good point. I don't know for sure, the website might help. I don't think about it as I have an aftermarket that just fits on the valve stem.

--

--

Good point. I don't know for sure, the website might help. I don't think about it as I have an aftermarket that just fits on the valve stem.

--

The one on the SVTV is built into the inside of the rim where the valve stem attaches. I could see any kind of “goopy” tire sealant totally messing that up.

The one on the SVTV is built into the inside of the rim where the valve stem attaches. I could see any kind of “goopy” tire sealant totally messing that up.

YOu are incorrect, the TPMS is not located near the valve stem, it is actually located 180 degess from the valve stem and CAUTION! very clearly explain this to any shop doing tire work on your tires. I took my rear wheel to the tire shop yesturday morning to have my car tire mounted, sooner than I planned as I ran over a screw. long story short they broke off the TPMS sensor. Now I have no wheel until they get it fixed and then mount my tire.

YOu are incorrect, the TPMS is not located near the valve stem, it is actually located 180 degess from the valve stem and CAUTION! very clearly explain this to any shop doing tire work on your tires. I took my rear wheel to the tire shop yesturday morning to have my car tire mounted, sooner than I planned as I ran over a screw. long story short they broke off the TPMS sensor. Now I have no wheel until they get it fixed and then mount my tire.

Youre right Greek. Now that you mention it, I remember American showing pictures of its location 180 DEGREES OPPOSITE the valve stem. Despite my “location error”, my MAIN point is still valid. Any kind of liquid goopy tire sealant WILL make the TPMS... FUBAR.