CO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Darksiding '18 Venture/Eluder

--

I don't need to yet, but am planning on switching to dark on my '18 Eluder. Currently the rear tire is a Bridgestone 200/55R16 and is only available through dealers for $348. Ridiculous! Now I've been researching this quite a bit, mostly on the https://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-darkside-riders/ site as Gold Wings have about the same setup as we do but have been doing this for a longer time.

My probable replacement will be a Bridgestone Drive Guard RF, 205/55R16 as that's very slightly larger than OEM but is a run flat. Oh, yeah, costs about $135. too.

Has anyone tried anything else out yet?

--

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Darksiding '18 Venture/Eluder

Quote Originally Posted by RonK View Post
    --

I don't need to yet, but am planning on switching to dark on my '18 Eluder. Currently the rear tire is a Bridgestone 200/55R16 and is only available through dealers for $348. Ridiculous! Now I've been researching this quite a bit, mostly on the https://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-darkside-riders/ site as Gold Wings have about the same setup as we do but have been doing this for a longer time.

My probable replacement will be a Bridgestone Drive Guard RF, 205/55R16 as that's very slightly larger than OEM but is a run flat. Oh, yeah, costs about $135. too.

Has anyone tried anything else out yet?

--
    Hey RonK, Iíve been pretty vocal about not supporting Darksiding in the past. I recently rode through Maggie Valley with an 80 year old rider running Darkside on an 09 Stratoliner. I got to watch from close up behind the performance of the tire and was truly impressed. He was scraping his kickstand in some of the corners! Very impressive!
    I discussed trying Darksiding with the wife who also was with me. She said ďwhy not. We can always switch back if we donít like it.Ē
    HEREís MY PROBLEM..... Iíve found a tire that I think will work well BUT I canít find any place that will put it in the rim for me. Iíve talked to some local custom shops because I KNOW the big name dealers wonít touch it.
    i still havenít found one and I donít have the equipment to try and do it myself.
    Any recommendations??
    The beginning of wisdom is to realize that we are ignorant.
    Being ignorant is ďokĒ. Staying that way is stupid!

United States
    MA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are all "darksiders" also flat Earthers??
    Will Rogers - The modern day one

All states ridden on my 89VR, Blue, the fastest color!!

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uhfradarwill View Post
    Would LOVE to discuss flat earth in another thread. Everybody knows that the great Spaghetti Monster made the earth flat so that it's easier for him to hold us down with his noodly appendages.
    Ride for the love of the road and the freedom it offers.

5. Likes uhfradarwill liked this post
    United States
    CO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uhfradarwill View Post
    --

I presume you're not observant enough to understand the answer to that. So let me explain: Of Course Not! We live near mountains and ride up and down all the time. Duh!

--

7. Likes uhfradarwill liked this post
    United States
    CO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post

HEREís MY PROBLEM..... Iíve found a tire that I think will work well BUT I canít find any place that will put it in the rim for me. Iíve talked to some local custom shops because I KNOW the big name dealers wonít touch it.
    i still havenít found one and I donít have the equipment to try and do it myself.
    Any recommendations??
    --

One would be for you to have some tire place that can handle bike tire wheels without damage. If none, try a dealer that will do it if you sign a note absolving them of any responsibility. (You might want to have a couple of those forms that you make up handy if necessary to pull out.)

Then there are many riders of the Dragon that put them on their bikes since they work better on large cruisers and tourers than stock mc tires. If any of them live near you or belong to a club near you, they might have a lead. Check with any clubs near you on members who change their own tires and see if they will help (maybe for a six pack of beer).

I know some riders have told WalMart, or some other tire place, that the wheel was off a trailer or trike and then the place (presuming they can do it without damage) would change it.

The thing is we don't expect anyone installing a tire for us to take any responsibility for anything. We just want them to do what they always do.

You might be able to get a lead from someone on the GoldWing site.

That's all I can suggest.

By the way, what tire on what bike do you have in mind?

--