IGNORED

Darksiding '18 Venture/Eluder

RonK

--

I don't need to yet, but am planning on switching to dark on my '18 Eluder. Currently the rear tire is a Bridgestone 200/55R16 and is only available through dealers for $348. Ridiculous! Now I've been researching this quite a bit, mostly on the https://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-darkside-riders/ site as Gold Wings have about the same setup as we do but have been doing this for a longer time.

My probable replacement will be a Bridgestone Drive Guard RF, 205/55R16 as that's very slightly larger than OEM but is a run flat. Oh, yeah, costs about $135. too.

Has anyone tried anything else out yet?

--

• 1 month later...
--

I don't need to yet, but am planning on switching to dark on my '18 Eluder. Currently the rear tire is a Bridgestone 200/55R16 and is only available through dealers for $348. Ridiculous! Now I've been researching this quite a bit, mostly on the https://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-darkside-riders/ site as Gold Wings have about the same setup as we do but have been doing this for a longer time.

My probable replacement will be a Bridgestone Drive Guard RF, 205/55R16 as that's very slightly larger than OEM but is a run flat. Oh, yeah, costs about $135. too.

--

Hey RonK, I’ve been pretty vocal about not supporting Darksiding in the past. I recently rode through Maggie Valley with an 80 year old rider running Darkside on an 09 Stratoliner. I got to watch from close up behind the performance of the tire and was truly impressed. He was scraping his kickstand in some of the corners! Very impressive!

I discussed trying Darksiding with the wife who also was with me. She said “why not. We can always switch back if we don’t like it.”

HERE’s MY PROBLEM..... I’ve found a tire that I think will work well BUT I can’t find any place that will put it in the rim for me. I’ve talked to some local custom shops because I KNOW the big name dealers won’t touch it.

i still haven’t found one and I don’t have the equipment to try and do it myself.

Any recommendations??

Are all "darksiders" also flat Earthers??

--

I presume you're not observant enough to understand the answer to that. So let me explain: Of Course Not! We live near mountains and ride up and down all the time. Duh!

--

HERE’s MY PROBLEM..... I’ve found a tire that I think will work well BUT I can’t find any place that will put it in the rim for me. I’ve talked to some local custom shops because I KNOW the big name dealers won’t touch it.

i still haven’t found one and I don’t have the equipment to try and do it myself.

Any recommendations??

--

One would be for you to have some tire place that can handle bike tire wheels without damage. If none, try a dealer that will do it if you sign a note absolving them of any responsibility. (You might want to have a couple of those forms that you make up handy if necessary to pull out.)

Then there are many riders of the Dragon that put them on their bikes since they work better on large cruisers and tourers than stock mc tires. If any of them live near you or belong to a club near you, they might have a lead. Check with any clubs near you on members who change their own tires and see if they will help (maybe for a six pack of beer).

I know some riders have told WalMart, or some other tire place, that the wheel was off a trailer or trike and then the place (presuming they can do it without damage) would change it.

The thing is we don't expect anyone installing a tire for us to take any responsibility for anything. We just want them to do what they always do.

You might be able to get a lead from someone on the GoldWing site.

That's all I can suggest.

By the way, what tire on what bike do you have in mind?

--

• 9 months later...
--

--

Almost a year later...The price has dropped to $210 for the stock and $250 for the Dunlop (at J&P Cycles)...are you still headed for the Darkside? My shop in Western MA will happily install a CT on your bike....for what they charge on a r/r, you'll think you bought another MC tire... lol.

--

I've been using my new Driveguard for about 6,000 miles so far on my trip. Works well, but is pretty strong on wanting to stay upright in turns and on road depressions. Use with about 30 psi.

--

• 2 weeks later...
--

I've been using my new Driveguard for about 6,000 miles so far on my trip. Works well, but is pretty strong on wanting to stay upright in turns and on road depressions. Use with about 30 psi.

--

I've heard this in the past about several different brands. There is a Darksiding board which has a good reference to tried and tested CT's for bikes. I've personally ran a Nexan on my RSV for a couple of years and put ~20K on that tire. It felt very stable while hitting twisties and was awesome in rain.

https://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires