IGNORED

Eluder/ Venture Mileage

--

I notice a thread about mileage on the Venture Category, this is a followup on that.

As most of us know, there are several things that affect the mileage of a particular bike. I'm not counting things like needing a tune up, poking along a gravel road, spending the day riding around Chicago and dodging bullets, or mud pit running, etc., but normal over-the-road traveling.

Those things include (1) traveling speed, (2) wind direction, (3) road gradient, (4) accuracy of our calculations. With (1), I think we can acknowledge that the faster you ride, the lower your mileage will be. Seems like over about 60 mph is where the drop gets bad. With (2), we may forget this but it has the same effect as riding speed. (3) can be averaged out if you are returning to the same location you started in. (4) the accuracy is improved if you have cross checked your bike's readings compared to road signs and a gps unit.

For me, the reasons for knowing the approximate mileage is to keep tabs on the condition of the engine (in part), but mostly as a challenge to see what I can do within the parameters I have set. I do find that mileage is also affected by elevation to some extent, but I have not factored that in since I change the routes I travel in my rides so much.

Anyway, so now I have over 7,000 miles on my Eluder and am getting more used to it's quirks more all the time. I have also figured out how work the infotainment center somewhat which is a whole learning experience by itself. My latest mileage check and ride was solo from Grand Junction, CO to Denver, CO and back. Went from about 4,000' elevation to 11,013' to about 4,000' and back. Total about 500 miles. Corrected my odometer mileage to prior gps accuracy and filled the tank each way. My average was a true 57+ mpg. My bike calculated about 53+ mpg. This included traffic, road construction, slow canyon riding, and about 2/3 slab at 65-72 mph. I used cruise control whenever possible.

Two points I would make. One is that your actual mileage may be as much as 10% better than you think. Also, I like to be moderate on take-offs usually, and I think that does the most to pay off for what I like.

YRMV as they say.

--

--

I wonder, how can that be? Do some riders constantly play with the throttle to vary speed? Do they always go all out on every take off? Are they calculating correctly? Does the elevation matter that much?

I don't know the answer, but I can't figure why it should be so different for everyone. And to top it off, I haven't even worn out my stock rear tire and been able to go darkside!

--

Completely different machines.

--

Not sure what you mean by different machines. The '18 Venture and Eluder are the same except for the reverse gear, motorized windshield and the passenger seat on the Venture. None of that should make any difference on mileage.

--