IGNORED

Rear shock with progressive spring

• 7 months later...

Checking ebay is your best bet as Progressive is no longer making the spring for the rear shock. I found mine by checking the photos on ebay and looking for a red spring on a 1st gen shock and was able to get it fairly cheap.

Hope that helps.

Rick F.

Checking ebay is your best bet as Progressive is no longer making the spring for the rear shock. I found mine by checking the photos on ebay and looking for a red spring on a 1st gen shock and was able to get it fairly cheap.

Hope that helps.

Rick F.

Question? I was scrolling thru ebay doing just that. Now I have found some shocks that don't have a spring, then others that have a black spring. Then there are the ones that have the Black rubber where the spring is. So does the Factory come out with springs on them or not?

Question? I was scrolling thru ebay doing just that. Now I have found some shocks that don't have a spring, then others that have a black spring. Then there are the ones that have the Black rubber where the spring is. So does the Factory come out with springs on them or not?

Well 1stGen MKII shocks comes with the black spring as stock. I believe the black rubber you see on the other 1st Gen MKI is a rubber boot that covers the spring. I dont have any experience with those so I am not 100% sure. What you are looking for is exactly what mralex714 has pictured in the the first post. I also believe that any of the 1st gen shocks are interchangeable with each other as checking the parts site it shows the same part number used on all 1st Gen Ventures.

When Progressive sold this spring, it was just the spring and no shock. The buyer had to get it installed on the shock and I can only guess how to do that. Buying one already installed is so much easier.

It took me over a year to find a shock with a red spring on it on ebay, so just keep looking and they do pop up now and then. But it does make for a nice ride with the progressives in the front and on the rear.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Well 1stGen MKII shocks comes with the black spring as stock. I believe the black rubber you see on the other 1st Gen MKI is a rubber boot that covers the spring. I dont have any experience with those so I am not 100% sure. What you are looking for is exactly what mralex714 has pictured in the the first post. I also believe that any of the 1st gen shocks are interchangeable with each other as checking the parts site it shows the same part number used on all 1st Gen Ventures.

When Progressive sold this spring, it was just the spring and no shock. The buyer had to get it installed on the shock and I can only guess how to do that. Buying one already installed is so much easier.

It took me over a year to find a shock with a red spring on it on ebay, so just keep looking and they do pop up now and then. But it does make for a nice ride with the progressives in the front and on the rear.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

From what I have read in this forum and ventures the std ventures had the internal spring in the shock, the ones with the outer black spring was for royals. No one is quite sure why they put the external black spring on the royals other then to compensate for the weight of the compressor and the other comfort features of the Royal. Neither of my 83s have a spring that I can feel thru the rubber boot. So I am guessing the spring is inside the shock. Either way I like the spring om the outside it's probably stouter too.

I agree with you and it makes sense why the Royales had the better shock. You should be able then to get a outside spring mounted shock and that should help you out. I think if it was my bike, I would do that and then once I was able to get the Progressive spring shock, then install and run that. That would least help with the sagging you experiencing with the old shock.

Good luck.

Rick F.

Ok how do you get progressive springs for the rear shock, my new to me bike is sagging bad, the airbag also dont hold air either. It will hold for a day but next day its back down to 25lbs

Progressive no longer makes the rear spring for the Venture. I actually got this with a group of parts I bought together. I also have 2 other rear shocks with the stock springs. If the shock is loosing air I would ckeck the lines for leaks. Not sure if your bike is a Royale with the CLASS. My mine was constantly loosing air. I removed the CLASS and added schrader valves , never had any issues after that. Also I was under the impression that non Royales were air only rear shocks and had no spring, but not sure.

Progressive no longer makes the rear spring for the Venture. I actually got this with a group of parts I bought together. I also have 2 other rear shocks with the stock springs. If the shock is loosing air I would ckeck the lines for leaks. Not sure if your bike is a Royale with the CLASS. My mine was constantly loosing air. I removed the CLASS and added schrader valves , never had any issues after that. Also I was under the impression that non Royales were air only rear shocks and had no spring, but not sure.

Well I'm pretty sure the stock shock on it is well gone I tried to adjust a dampening I mean it's just way too easy to turn that knob and it makes no difference what setting is on it still feels like it's on one and when I get on it it stinks like a good inch inch and a half. So I'm just looking for the outer spring one now found a few on eBay for like 40 bucks and under and also closer to a hundred and something!