IGNORED

Kawasaki 1989 VS Venture Royal 1989

uhfradarwill

I kind of like the Kaw. When I decided that I wanted a big / heavy bike I did some research, and had decided that I wanted a Venture as my first choice, the Voyager would have been second, Goldwing third and Cavalcade fourth.

I think they all look pretty similar, with the Cavalcade being the standout on sheer size.

I've come across a couple of Voyagers over the years and they sell pretty cheap....I suppose just like old Ventures, and I think either would be a fantastic bargain for someone willing to tinker. Considering the years / miles you can get out of these old bikes, you couldn't get more bang for your buck if you're willing / able to maintain them.:fishin:

I test rode a 2002 Voyager that had 34k miles on it back in 2010 before I bought a big bike. It also has a loud whine problem. I since have read that Cowpuc bought and resold a couple of these and he adjusted the "balancers" if memory serves and got rid of the gear whine. Anyway that loud gear whine kept me from buying it. I later test rode a 2006 Goldwing and it was so much easier to ride due to the low cog. Loved it but didn't love the price. The owner of the Voyager sold it, bought a Harley Glide, later sold that, and bought a RSV.

I have had both and just recently sold the Voyager and I will tell you the Voyager will kick the pants off the Venture and it is lower to the ground so I could be flat footed at a stop light.The only thing I did not like about the Voyager was the cruise would only work in 5th gear where the Venture would work in any gear.

Is it just me or is the Kawasaki just an ugly copy of the Ventures? What about the inline four cylinders vs the Venture V4??

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113938

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113939

In 2015 I bought a 2002 Kawasaki Voyager VII and did a ground up restoration on it. I stripped it to the frame and rebuilt and replaced virtually every part on the bike. I now have around 8K into it and I love the bike. I took it to a Voyager rally in Wisconsin 2 years ago and to Glacier national park last summer. It is amazingly smooth and handles exceptionally well. As mentioned in one of the posts there is some gear whine but since I wear an ear plug, I don't really notice it. Another plus is since it was built from 1986 until 2003 there are a huge number of used parts available. Interestingly enough you can still buy many new oem parts as well.

In July I bought an 08 RSV and now that I have worked out most of the issues caused by neglect I also love the Venture as well. While the Voyager is as smooth as butter I really like being able to hear the V4 on the Venture. The sound is even better since I put Road King pipes on it.

Both bikes are great and fun to ride.

IMG_4448.jpg

My first road bike was a Kawasaki KZ 900. What a scary bike that was. Maybe just due to my inexperience as a street rider at the time. Before then it was all Honda & Yamaha dirtbikes. I started riding big twins back in the 90's and have owned HD, Honda and Yamaha. For me I have a personal preference for Yamaha. They are always on top of the power & tech curve and just a pleasant company to do bizz with. I now own a 1989 Venture Royale. At first I was alittle leery, bue to the overall size of this bike, but now I'm just loving this 30 year old bike.

Oh by the way I've decided to name my Venture, "Yambag". It's a Yamaha & a bagger. Ride On fellers & lasses.