IGNORED

The cleanest Venture Royal I have ever seen!!

While I was shopping for a Venture I went and tried to buy this one.

Very, very clean and has service records from dealership for it's entire one owner life.

This guy is "mature, 78" and had triple bypass last year. I could not get him lower than $2,600 for the 1983 so I passed.

Also the 83-85 second gear issue scared me a little. Take a look

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1983-yamaha-venture-royale/6640944197.html

Cheers

00U0U_3tvmVjrzYcH_1200x900.jpg

Sure is a nice looking scoot, can't blame him for holding onto the asking price, not that I would dish out that much for an 83 standard with no bling and a 2nd gear issue waiting to show up. I would think more like $1500 usd would be settleable.

Sure is a nice looking scoot, can't blame him for holding onto the asking price, not that I would dish out that much for an 83 standard with no bling and a 2nd gear issue waiting to show up. I would think more like $1500 usd would be settleable.

Gotta agree with you Carl. With out some major improvements that all '83's need it's way too much... Especially with the 2nd gear gremlin lurking in the background....

• 2 weeks later...
--

As a matter of interest, what is the issue with second gear and how much would it cost to rebuild before the problem arose?

--

The real cost is in the cost of gaskets and labor. Doesn't matter much as far as the gears are concerned. Either way the dogs will need to be dressed. When I did mine in 08 or so, it cost me about $200 in all the parts if I remember correct and most of that was gaskets and o-rings and such.

--

As a matter of interest, what is the issue with second gear and how much would it cost to rebuild before the problem arose?

--

A washer or spacer in the transmission is too soft and when it wears a bit, it won't stay in second gear. Cowpuc rode several of these bikes 200k miles without second gear, so it doesn't have to be repaired if you just skip second. The biggest cost in repairing it is labor since the engine has to be removed. Sometime in 85 the issue was corrected. If you search the forum you can find the start of the serial numbers denoting the ones that don't have the problem. Some members like yamagrl repaired her own bike.

A washer or spacer in the transmission is too soft and when it wears a bit, it won't stay in second gear. Cowpuc rode several of these bikes 200k miles without second gear, so it doesn't have to be repaired if you just skip second. The biggest cost in repairing it is labor since the engine has to be removed. Sometime in 85 the issue was corrected. If you search the forum you can find the start of the serial numbers denoting the ones that don't have the problem. Some members like yamagrl repaired her own bike.

IIRC, there is a peen mark somewhere if the second gear has been done by a Yamaha dealer. Someone else can chime in with a correction and/or clarification if I am off my rocker.

RR