IGNORED

Shinko 777 Stuff

Du-Rron

I do remember looking them up once to price check them compared to the 230 and noticed that the heavy dutiness was more in weight capacity or something... Nothing leading me to see that they were a super high mileage tire like this E-4 is suppose to be.. That said, they were more pricey than the 230's...

Shinko advertises them as a higher load higher mileage tire.

mileage.jpg

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?127279-Time-for-tires/page2&highlight=shinko

post number 27 also contains the pdf catalog that was current at the time.

if I recall and the uptake on the price...

shinkonv.jpg

I was kinda hoping the price would be competitive based upon what I was getting.

Have you tried the 777's in high temps such as seen in Needles California, Death Valley, Area 51 riding loaded and two up? If so I would LOVE to hear your take on them and would be more than willing to give em a shot if you think +20k in such conditions is a possibility brother!!!!!!!

According to MSN I live in the 7th hottest city in the nation.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?130818-San-Angelo-is-HOT

I ride a lot in 100+ weather and about 25% of the time it is two up. I always ride heavy and fast. I have changed the Shinko 777's out at about 9000 miles average, not because they were bald, but becaue I wanted to, or for convienience, or for an upcoming trip, or for staging. I don't think they would make 20K but might make 15K.

You are just our best unpaid tester Puc! I know you will get around to these before you wear out upcoming Venture Number 7.

Edited by Du-Rron

I ran them on my VR13 and had a miserable time with them. Break in took for every, they didn't ware fast but at high speeds none of us trusted them. When I switched to Metz the ride and feel was much more fun and comforting.

I ran them on my VR13 and had a miserable time with them. Break in took for every, they didn't ware fast but at high speeds none of us trusted them. When I switched to Metz the ride and feel was much more fun and comforting.

Hmm. I've run Shinkos for years, never had any complaints. Why would you not trust them at high speeds?

The short answer is I didn't trust them period.

My opinion is that they are likely good or even better for cruiser bikes?

Certainly they were very erratic the fist couple of hundred klm, I remember well them fishtailing. Now I was being follow by some friends in a car and I asked them all bike riders, if they could make out what was going on; they were brand new.

If you check my trip post you can see the front looked to be in very good condition. However and again having another just in my trail, he noticed my struggle with hunting up front.

In my case I was done with them and chose to swap them out. I could have repaired the rear leak but I happy to get them off.

I am not recommending Metz and was surprised to see them for fat touring bikes. But brother what a difference Zero hunting quiet solid grip even on wet roads.

Not sure if next time I wouldn't try Mich, they seemed a tad better bike to bike and certainly in deep puddles SK felt zip where as I could feel the deep ones with Metz.

Before this bike I usually chose Bridge Stone for almost all our bikes...

Not sure if this helps in anyway 7Lakes? Some tires as we know will last a long time, that can be a good thing. Some tires tho a rider just can't bond with, not sure why that is.

A second glance at my fronts it wouldn't be hard for an experienced rider to guess that I tend to lean more on the left then the right. There's a reason lock away somewhere in my history?

If you read that post you see I mentioned SK was just taking it all in; while he is an excellent rider he hasn't a 1/4 my touring experience. He ran Mich on his and not once did I see him hunt behind me. He could see I was working to avoid the HW cracks that he could just pull out of, but not with those hard tires, they hunt cracks like a train rides the rails.

That isn't to say that your style of riding will be as effected as mine was. But because I had a low trust of them I began riding more upright! That's kind of like doing the two step with a disco Lady;)

Not sure if this helps in anyway 7Lakes? Some tires as we know will last a long time, that can be a good thing. Some tires tho a rider just can't bond with, not sure why that is.

Ah Yeah.....

Well... I am having a love affair with my Shinko 777's as I am on my second set now.

here is the 1st set going on.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?107652-Shinko-777-Tires

The way this usually works out is I ask specifically about Shinko 777's... Something happens to confuse the issue to Shinko 230's or Michelin Commanders down the line... then a hamster walks into the bar... then cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger ... orange whip... what were we talking about????

Right about the left turns. I found I could take them very low on my VR. In my case it has to do with experience, my front tire by the time I finished my tour was much different on the left but nearly new on the right, I mean like almost out of the rapping new.

Not all experience is good experience.

The 777's are rated to 130 and have proven stable so far to several folks here. On the flip side... Metzler is considered a cuss-word around here. Cowpuc gets to watch the Metzler delaminate in real time he rides so much.

The 777's are rated to 130 and have proven stable so far to several folks here. On the flip side... Metzler is considered a cuss-word around here. Cowpuc gets to watch the Metzler delaminate in real time he rides so much.

Yep I heard about them coming apart. But if you survive Metz says they'll replace it ;)

This is due to your experience? Or just "around here" as in the majority have run Metz and failed? How many failed tires have you personally been through?

Let me say this, Shinko could next year be the #1 rated tire and also viewed as the best bang for your buck. They would still be in the bucket as far as this rider is concerned as is Dunlops.

Brand name anything knows that when a customer experience is poor they loose that customer.

This is also why we share opinions on forums for balance, to help others make their own mind up! If this forum was say typical "around here" then maybe second thoughts would become pointless points of view?

i've got 777 front and rear now. the rear has been on almost a year and still has good tread. Unlike the dunlops that look and feel bald at 5K miles these are at the 4K mark and still going i may actually get more hat 5K miles out of a rear tire for the first time since I owned the bike. When i did the front I stopped over to the 130 sizes. super difference in low speed handling and just cornering in general.

I will continue to buy the 777 models till they come out with a better tire.

I have been running the 777s for about a year-and-a-half now with no major problems and they seem to be wearing well. I don't think they'll last as long as the Michelin commanders that I had on before this but for the price I'm satisfied.

Have fun out there!

It's the Metzler 880 that has delaminated and been reported by several members. Now they have an 888 that may be better? StevenG, what Metzler tire do you have good experience with? I have Metzler Lasertecs on my Kawasaki and I have been very pleased with the grip.

My metz 880 on the rear of my 1st gen delaminated with less than 4k miles. Pictures on this site in an old Post. They would not warrantee the tire. It was unridable...unsafe. Other members have had same issue. I believe one crash was directly related to Metz. cowpuc lost his rear as well...chunks came off. That's when I switched to Shinko on my 1st gen...4 years ago. The 230 Tourmaster.

Shinkos are Yokohama motorcycle racing technology bought by Shinko and successfully being produced by them.

The 230's are excellent tires for the 1st gens. They are comfortable and handle rain nicely. Downside is they wear faster. I'm at 5k on my 1st Gen and have about 1/2 read left on rear. Front looks new. I keep pressure at 38/42.

My 2nd Gen had Pirelli Routes and they got squirrelly after about 5k. I switched to the Shinko 777HD in stock sizes and put around 1k miles on them then took off across country. Riding through a storm in Oklahoma City at 65mph with traffic...I was tense about the tires, but after a few miles, I realized they were solid on the road. Very impressed with how they handle the rain. If I hadn't picked up a nail that we changed out at cowpucs, I would still have that 777HD on and bet it would still look brand new! At 3k miles when we took it off, it looked new then. And I was heavily loadedl! I wish we had taken a picture of it to show. I run 38/42 on those as well. Replaced rear with a Shinko 230 in stock size. We shall see how long it lasts.

With exception of this last tire bought in Michigan, my Shinkos have also been the freshest tires purchased!!

I ride both scoots in the deserts of Arizona as well as the mountains. We have heat, rain and such.... Heat in spades!! :scorched:

As far as feeling squirrily at speed, almost all of that can be atributed to air pressure. In some cases it is a bad tire. But tires are like oil..... Everyone has experience and opinions.... So above is my experiences.

Edited by videoarizona
Add

This is due to your experience? Or just "around here" as in the majority have run Metz and failed? How many failed tires have you personally been through?

Let me say this, Shinko could next year be the number 1 rated tire and also viewed as the best bang for your buck. They would still be in the bucket as far as this rider is concerned as is Dunlops.

Brand name anything knows that when a customer experience is poor they loose that customer.

This is also why we share opinions on forums for balance, to help others make their own mind up! If this forum was say typical "around here" then maybe second thoughts would become pointless points of view?

Ok.

Just like my post number 7 up above... are you speaking specifically about Shinko 777's or trashing the entire line.

"The way this usually works out is I ask specifically about Shinko 777's... Something happens to confuse the issue to Shinko 230's or Michelin Commanders down the line... then a hamster walks into the bar... then cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger ... orange whip... what were we talking about????"

Let me say this, Shinko could next year be the #1 rated tire and also viewed as the best bang for your buck. They would still be in the bucket as far as this rider is concerned as is Dunlops.

Ok.

Just like my post number 7 up above... are you speaking specifically about Shinko 777's or trashing the entire line.

"The way this usually works out is I ask specifically about Shinko 777's... Something happens to confuse the issue to Shinko 230's or Michelin Commanders down the line... then a hamster walks into the bar... then cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger ... orange whip... what were we talking about????"

I find it confusing too. The trouble with flowery or convoluted language Steven, is that often your point gets lost in the brush. I can't tell if you are trashing all Shinkos and all Dunlops. I don't have any experience with Shinkos but am very interested in the 777's. In my experience, the Dunlop E3's are excellent and cannot be compared to the Dunlop 404's which are pretty much junk tires. It's unfair and uninformed to say Dunlops are great because you like E3's or to say Dunlops suck because you don't like the 404's.

When it comes to voicing an opinion, clarity is everything.

“ is that often your point gets lost in the brush” True I know this can happen during my postings.

I will usually see a question though where others read noise; and if I can, I will go out of my way to help the OP. Here I did not see a question in the OP, I read a comment that he purchased!

I’ll try a different tack; my experience with Shinko was mixed. I found them to be what Shinko claims that they are, an economical based tire with a long tread ware expectancy.

I also found that I did not have confidence with the performance. This is because I like to push a bike through whatever the road offers.

Here was my mistake in choosing Shinko 230s; I don’t fit an economy based tire.

With regards to Shinko 777 every review I have read is saying that they are an economy cruising tire.

This may be a case of myth becoming legend I’m not sure of this, so I made a call to their technical support. They tell me the 777 are a softer compound and while rated as a cruiser tire the load rating was high enough for the Venture.

Now for some of the other points, I choose not to run Dunlop’s that’s not to say that someone else shouldn’t. The Elites have been around for a long time, lots of guys swear by them. Elites were what were on my Venture when I purchased it. Outside of the1200 klms to bring her home that is all the riding experience I have with them! The Dunlop brand are not on any of my bikes and it’s been that way since the early 70s I think.

While on my tour last year my Shino’s were spoiling my ride. I chose to change them in Montreal, a large Canadian size market and where I expected more options then what turned out to be the case. I decided on the Metzeler brand even though I read there had been issues with their early releases! I like the tires, they go well for my style of riding; but the Michelin proved to still be a better tire through deeper puddles.

If I am veg with peripherals in a post this could be based on value or how I see its pertinence.

I don’t ever claim anything past my experience.

I have been open with the forum on my written English

Ok, I gotcha and I agree with you as you explained it to me in post number 19 above.

With regards to Shinko 777 every review I have read is saying that they are an economy cruising tire.

This may be a case of myth becoming legend I’m not sure of this, so I made a call to their technical support. They tell me the 777 are a softer compound and while rated as a cruiser tire the load rating was high enough for the Venture.

So... I started this thread seeking opinions from Cowpuc gained from his actual use of Shinko 777 tires. Cowpuc rides so much that he may not have a Shinko 777 on his scoot this week, but chances are high he will change tires 4 or 5 times this year and a Shinko 777 could be in line for the next tire change. If you have any actual experience with Shinko 777 tires I would like to hear about those as well.

I also wrote to Shinko this morning and received this just now.

"Hi Patch,

Thank you for contacting Shinko Tire USA.

The Shinko 777 series tire would be a great choice for this motorcycle. These have the same speed rating and the rear tire has a higher load rating than the stock tires that came on this motorcycle.

We appreciate your interest in Shinko tires.

Sincerely,

Kyle Kosberg

Western Power Sports/Shinko"

• 1 month later...

I ran a set of shinko 230s a few years ago. Great tire. Excellent grip wet or dry. I run six gap and dragons tail and drug holes in my exhaust and trimmed my subframe a little on my Suzuki 800. My riding partner had metzler 880s that started cupping badly. I ran 888s on my Vulcan 1500. Dry grip was good, wear was better. Scary in the rain. I drug hard parts on that bike too with the metzlers. My personal experience with shinko was good enough I’ll put a set on whatever tourer I buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got about 250 miles on my Shinko 777s on my '93. The front tire is swimmy above 63mph. If I give the handlebars a sharp input or if I get a sharp input from the wind or a bump, the front end will oscillate slightly (maybe 1/2" at the handlebars) 2 to 4 times (over the course of about 1.5 seconds) before it settles down again. It never progresses into a high speed wobble--even if I take my hands off the bars--but it's a little disconcerting.

Even though I have a Superbrace, it reminds me of the front end mass wobble I get at parking lot speeds if I give a sharp input...all of that fork & tire mass oscillates a little bit.

Of course, I've changed about 5 different variables recently--new tires, removed & rebuilt forks, calipers, etc.--so I couldn't declare with authority at this point that it's being caused by the tire. I'm pretty darn sure I got everything aligned properly when I put the forks back on.

At any rate, I don't like it and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it.

Edited by Bob K.

I've got about 250 miles on my Shinko 777s on my '93. The front tire is swimmy above 63mph. If I give the handlebars a sharp input or if I get a sharp input from the wind or a bump, the front end will oscillate slightly (maybe 1/2" at the handlebars) 2 to 4 times before it settles down again. It never progresses into a high speed wobble--even if I take my hands off the bars--but it's a little disconcerting.

Even though I have a Superbrace, it reminds me of the front end mass wobble I get at parking lot speeds if I give a sharp input...all of that fork & tire mass oscillates a little bit.

Of course, I've changed about 5 different variables recently--new tires, removed & rebuilt forks, calipers, etc.--so I couldn't declare with authority at this point that it's being caused by the tire. I'm pretty darn sure I got everything aligned properly when I put the forks back on.

I did not see you mention checking the neck bearings. Didja?

Take the superbrace off and see how it works...

I've got about 250 miles on my Shinko 777s on my '93. The front tire is swimmy above 63mph. If I give the handlebars a sharp input or if I get a sharp input from the wind or a bump, the front end will oscillate slightly (maybe 1/2" at the handlebars) 2 to 4 times before it settles down again. It never progresses into a high speed wobble--even if I take my hands off the bars--but it's a little disconcerting.

Neck bearings and swing arm bushings will cause just what you are talking about.....as well as a bad front tire...