IGNORED

2007 rstd

I ws leaking oil from my left front cover so I proceeded to take it off and am having a very tough time getting it off. As I try to pull it off it retracts back like there is a spring in there. I don't really know what behind there but i do see a gear. Is there a trick that i am unaware off. Thank you in advance. Please help.

If it shows that it is loose all the way around, you just pull, but if it seems to be stuck a little then there is a screw left to get out first, probably in the bottom left corner. This cover has the stator behind it and for a stator to work it needs a strong magnet, and that is what lets it come a bit at first and then holds on for dear life, so just pull out, square and straight. Make sure you undo the wires at the connectors coming from the back side first and that the smaller cover (middle gear cover) are removed first.

If it shows that it is loose all the way around, you just pull, but if it seems to be stuck a little then there is a screw left to get out first, probably in the bottom left corner. This cover has the stator behind it and for a stator to work it needs a strong magnet, and that is what lets it come a bit at first and then holds on for dear life, so just pull out, square and straight. Make sure you undo the wires at the connectors coming from the back side first and that the smaller cover (middle gear cover) are removed first.

I thank you so much that explains the pullback. I am relieved its not something else.

• 1 month later...

After busting my hump getting this thing off it's all ready to go back on excepting this clip or pin or whatever it's called I have no idea how to put it back in. I know the general area but I am completely stumped please help.

unnamed.jpg

After busting my hump getting this thing off it's all ready to go back on excepting this clip or pin or whatever it's called I have no idea how to put it back in. I know the general area but I am completely stumped please help.

If you leave that shaft out the motorcycle will fall apart and your dog will get fleas

shaft.jpg

shaft2.jpg

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113996

Looks like you took the 'flywheel' off as well. That rod goes into the hollow bolt that holds the flywheel in place. It helps with moving oil to the outside to cool the stator windings. Don't know if your dog will get fleas but your cat won't run away no more, unless you get it put together right.

If you leave that shaft out the motorcycle will fall apart and your dog will get fleas

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114000

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114001

You are the best i would never had guess ed it was over there I thought the other side. It explains why i could find anywhere to put it.

Looks like you took the 'flywheel' off as well. That rod goes into the hollow bolt that holds the flywheel in place. It helps with moving oil to the outside to cool the stator windings. Don't know if your dog will get fleas but your cat won't run away no more, unless you get it put together right.

thing is I never took anything apart from inside the cover. Just took the pin out.

I guess I will have to find a hole or the nightmare continues.

thing is I never took anything apart from inside the cover. Just took the pin out.

I guess I will have to find a hole or the nightmare continues.

I hate to say it but you are dealing with a moron. This must fit into a hole putting this down the center of the bolt. I can't find it (no hair anywhere lol). How deep must this thing go to locate the hole it must go in. I tried for far to long to find it. If the flywheel was supposed to stay in its housing them it did come out when i pulled the cover. I'm catching on. But does it go to that somehow I don't see where. Remember I'm a moron. Or am I looking at this wrong it goes in the flywheel and the goes together.

n

Edited by albyzee

I hate to say it but you are dealing with a moron. This must fit into a hole putting this down the center of the bolt. I can't find it (no hair anywhere lol). How deep must this thing go to locate the hole it must go in. I tried for far to long to find it. If the flywheel was supposed to stay in its housing them it did come out when i pulled the cover. I'm catching on. But does it go to that somehow I don't see where. Remember I'm a moron. Or am I looking at this wrong it goes in the flywheel and the goes together.

n

If you did not pull the flywheel off then somebody must have before you if you bought the bike 2nd hand and then just threw the shaft back in there!?!?!

It goes in the center of the flywheel bolt. Like so.

20180810_203824.jpg

If you did not pull the flywheel off then somebody must have before you if you bought the bike 2nd hand and then just threw the shaft back in there!?!?!

It goes in the center of the flywheel bolt. Like so.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114004

I want to thank you for these schematics they have helped me greatly. I am going to take some pictures of what I am seeing. I might have a bigger problem here. I did not take a bolt out from that center hole so good chance it was never there. The bike did run fine with out it so Im getting confused. Of course it' raining now but once it stops its picture time. All I did was pull the cover.

If I understand correctly, that rod splashes oil on the stator to cool it. Without the oil the stator will fail prematurely.

Yes that is correct, and Marcarl also helped to electrify that point in a previous post (number 6 above) and to verify, that indeed it will, keep the fleas off your dog by its correct installation.

I am going to take some pictures of what I am seeing. I might have a bigger problem here. I did not take a bolt out from that center hole so good chance it was never there. The bike did run fine with out it so Im getting confused. Of course it' raining now but once it stops its picture time. All I did was pull the cover.

Th' suspense is killin' me.

If I understand correctly, that rod splashes oil on the stator to cool it. Without the oil the stator will fail prematurely.

I haven't been able to work on this till today. My last question is if this goes in the center hole what holds it in place? The only thing that covers it would be the cover for the hole. I will get to this this afternoon with pic. Thank you guys for your patience. I will get this done today by hook or crook.

This is interesting! Please show us a picture of the "innards". :confused07:

All I did was take the cover off and this is what I saw. The hole has no threads in it for anything and I did not take anything out but the shaft. Hope this helps. I don't know what would hold the shaft in the but the little round cover that goes over it.

IMG_0828.jpgIMG_0829.jpgunnamed.jpg

All I did was take the cover off and this is what I saw. The hole has no threads in it for anything and I did not take anything out but the shaft. Hope this helps. I don't know what would hold the shaft in the but the little round cover that goes over it.

Ohhhhhh my gawd!

You are actually missing the bolt that goes in the center of the rotor.

The only thing holding that rotor on is its will power.

There MUST be some threads down the center of that hole. Its the crankshaft.

Do NOT put this back together without bolting the rotor down.

Ohhhhhh my gawd!

You are actually missing the bolt that goes in the center of the rotor.

The only thing holding that rotor on is its will power.

There MUST be some threads down the center of that hole. Its the crankshaft.

Do NOT put this back together without bolting the rotor down.

The rotor is on solid which I believe is held by the hex nut. If a bolt does go in the hole and there were threads down there there is no way that shaft would go in first (unless the bolt is hollow but I see no threads) as the hole is deep with the shaft going to within a inch to the top. Could it be they made two different designs. Just a thought. I bought this as a leftover so no one owned it before me it had 0 miles. It also ran without a problem. The bike has 28,000 miles and I rode it for coming up to 8 years.

one last thing this shaft does not appear to go into anything to snug it just goes in. ( no hole to put it in) Almost as if it was extra so they put it there. Sorry to drive you crazy it certainly was my intention. You can imagine my frustration.

The rotor is on solid which I believe is held by the hex nut. If a bolt does go in the hole and there were threads down there there is no way that shaft would go in first (unless the bolt is hollow but I see no threads) as the hole is deep with the shaft going to within a inch to the top. Could it be they made two different designs. Just a thought. I bought this as a leftover so no one owned it before me it had 0 miles. It also ran without a problem. The bike has 28,000 miles and I rode it for coming up to 8 years.

one last thing this shaft does not appear to go into anything to snug it just goes in. ( no hole to put it in) Almost as if it was extra so they put it there. Sorry to drive you crazy it certainly was my intention. You can imagine my frustration.

Here is a pictures of the bolt and pin

boltpin.jpg

It goes together as shown in post number 11 above and the bolt is hollow and looks like this once all put together. Except this shot shows the hollow bolt but is missing the pin sticking out. Ignore the color circle drawings in this pic as they were discussing a starter from the place I got this pic. This pic is off a Vmax which is real close to ours.

vmaxrotor.jpg

If you bought this bike brand new. No one else has been into it. I would discuss this with the dealer.

While the rotor is a press fit on there, it is spinning around at engine speed without being bolted on. If it decides to come loose at 3000 rpm it WILL come through the case.

That hex you see at the end of the rotor is not to turn it on to threads, but there to hold it with a wrench, and to bar the engine. There is a woodruff key on the crank that keeps the rotor from spinning and locks the rotor to the crank.

If the bike was new and has no threads in the crank and there is no evidence of machine work or stripping the threads out then I bet Yamaha will kick in a new crank, (even after all these years) just to keep a rotor missle from coming through the case. Please be sure to take one more real good picture up inside the crankshaft showing "no threads" so that you can show it to Yamaha and your dealer.

Do not put the bike back together.

I hope other mechanically inclined Venture Riders will chime in here.

The rotor is on solid which I believe is held by the hex nut.

I edited your own picture to show you where YOUR KEYWAY is machined into YOUR ROTOR that fits over the woodruff key. This will show you that the hex on the end of that rotor is not for spinning it on the crankshaft in an attempt to tighten it on there, but to KEY the rotor to the crank to keep it from transmitting spinning forces to the bolt that is missing. The rotor, once the woodruff key is installed, can only move in a horizontal manner parallel to the crankshaft once it is installed correctly on the taper and locked. The bolt keeps it from breaking taper lock and coming off. Apparently, after 28000 miles, with bolt missing, it is still locked on there by its taper press fit. WOW!!!

There is no way I would put it back together like that.

Keep us informed!

IMG_0829a.jpg

Edited by Du-Rron

Couple of thoughts here.

1) It's a known fact that the rotors are a real bugger to get off the tapered crankshaft with a factory install.

2) There has to be threads inside the crankshaft for the bolt.

3) The bolt needs to be a hollow bolt for the wire thing to work and for oil transmission to the stator.

4) It's not surprising really that the rotor didn't fly off if it's as tight as some to get off.

5) If the factory installed the rotor and didn't use a bolt, how did they get it on soooo tight that it didn't come off.

6) as mentioned, if you put that thing back together the way it is, I won't be taking that bike anywhere, for if it decides it time for an exit, it could do a lot of damage and poor folks that are in shooting distance.

WOW!! I'll bet if you can get your little finger down into the crankshaft hole a little ways, you will feel some threads. From looking at the bolt that is supposed to be there, there is a distance from the head to the threads. I would find an oem bolt and torque it to spec before continuing. Good job on the pictures. Probably saved your engine!