IGNORED

1987 Venture Royale 1300

Hello, New here to the Forum.

I traded for an 87 venture royale. Got it home and have been tinkering with it looking for things that need replaced and fixed. The first is getting it started. The battery is charged, the headlight dims when pressing the start switch, but not getting any cranking over. Not even hearing the fuel pump starting. Tried the Arc from from solenoid and nothing happened.

The previous guy had a friend drop bike while riding it and messed up the body. My buddy started pulling all parts to repair the broken fender, boxes and more. Honestly I am almost thinking he had disconnected something, but not sure.

Would like to get it running to try and figure out what else I need to start searching for.

Any suggestions?

First things first eh. Check battery, you did that. When you push the starter what voltage does the battery show. Next, check all the fuses to make sure there is power going through them, so check the load side connector. Also check the main fuse. Then post what you have found.

If you jumpered over the starter solenoid on the large cable/wire that comes directly from the positive post of the battery, basically eliminating the solenoid from the circuit completely, and the starter did not engage and attempt to roll the engine over then, IMHO, you either have a bad/low battery, a bad connection in the circuit or a faulty starter. If the starter makes a clunk noise when you jumper like that and no engine rolling over, it is possible you have a locked engine = if this is were to happen and I were working on it I would put a wrench on the rotor bolt on the end of the crank (stator side) and see if I could roll it over by hand..

If you jumpered over the starter solenoid on the large cable/wire that comes directly from the positive post of the battery, basically eliminating the solenoid from the circuit completely, and the starter did not engage and attempt to roll the engine over then, IMHO, you either have a bad/low battery, a bad connection in the circuit or a faulty starter. If the starter makes a clunk noise when you jumper like that and no engine rolling over, it is possible you have a locked engine = if this is were to happen and I were working on it I would put a wrench on the rotor bolt on the end of the crank (stator side) and see if I could roll it over by hand..

Thank for the response. I had jumped the solenoid and checked the motor for it being seized. It rotated just fine. Replaced fuse box with a new one and secured all new wire connections with new fuses. Still no cranking and still no sound from say fuel pump. I charged battery completely and had it tested. It was good, just sat for a while. So that's good too. The next thing is to check the stater. Is there a good way to do this?

Thanks for the input and ideas.

Eric

First things first eh. Check battery, you did that. When you push the starter what voltage does the battery show. Next, check all the fuses to make sure there is power going through them, so check the load side connector. Also check the main fuse. Then post what you have found.

Thank you for the response. I will check volts tomorrow and get back to you on that. The battery is good for sure. Just thinking the power is stopping somewhere..

I for one would double check the kill switch and make sure you have the switch in the run position and the bike in neutral. How bright is the headlight when you turn the key to the start position and does it go out when you try to start the bike?

You might want to make sure you have a good ground to the engine case. It is generally on the front lower right side of the case. The starter can be a pain to get out as you also need to drain the engine coolant and remove the thermostat housing to make clearance for the starter to come out.

Let us know what you find out please..

Rick F.

When your testing the fuses if you have an old headlight use it on the load side of the fuses. Sometimes a VOM will show 12Volt but when you add a load the main fuse will not carry the load.

Had a Goldwing that drove me nuts. Had 12Volt until I hit starter then went to zero.

The other thing I would do ….. is make sure your in Neutral , put bike up on center stand, and connect jumper to starter terminal and touch the other end to the positive terminal monetarily . That will bypass kill switch, solenoid, fuses and starter button etc. Won't check the ground side. Should tell you if the starter is good. If you find the starter is bad then you should get a 4 brush starter off a 2nd gen makes a big difference.

Good luck and welcome to the group

Hey all, ok so checked everything mentioned and all checked out except for the starter. Seems to be froze up. Without a complete disassembly is there a way to pull it out easier. I've pulled radiator hoses and got bolts out, but having a tough time removing starter.

Eric

If the starter has to be replaced, do yourself a favor and get a 4 brush starter. The V4 Ventures came with weak 2 brush starters through 90 or 91. After that they have a 4 brush that is supposed to fit the older Venture V4s. The RSTD V4 and newer Venture V4s are good donors for the starter. Check ebay. I bought one for about $50.

There are 2 bolts holding the starter in place, 1 nut holding the wire on. Then there are 2 allan nuts on the header pipe. Take all these off and out she comes. Only have to do the one header pipe.

Awesome, thank you. Figure it out as I was digging into it. What sucks is after getting it out and all the disassembly I found it was the battery.

Benefit to the process. I found the radiator fluid was full of debris from over the years. Rather get this all finished before its road worthy than after.

Where can I find body parts for this motorcycle? Needing the left Fairing and a few additional parts which I've found online minus the left fairing. What years would fit?

Check the classified. I have left and right black and gold fairings in good shape from an 86 that will fit.

Check the classified. I have left and right black and gold fairings in good shape from an 86 that will fit.

Thank you for the response. Where do you live? Could you provide pictures if you are looking to sell them. Might just take both and have a spare or sell extra to make up some of the cost for shipping.

I'm in Colorado zip 81006

Eric

Thank you for the response. Where do you live? Could you provide pictures if you are looking to sell them. Might just take both and have a spare or sell extra to make up some of the cost for shipping.

I'm in Colorado zip 81006

Eric

I sent you a PM

• 1 year later...

It's been a year since anyone chimed in on this thread, but I'm hoping someone is still paying attention. :) This is my first post to the forum; I've looked for answers to these questions, but haven't found any. If I missed a thread, please let me know.

I have just acquired one of these. Runs nicely & the previous owner has kept up on things, but the cosmetics & creature comforts need some assistance, and it's missing a right-side mirror. A couple quick questions:

1 -- has anyone replaced the mirrors with anything after-market that gets the mirrors above and wide of the line-of-sight that is blocked by having hands on the grips? Any suggestions for doing that in a way that is not too Frankenstein's Monster-ish?

2 -- has anyone replaced the original body panels with (a) an after-market set that is still available, or (b) by having a local shop re-create the set out of fiberglas or carbon fiber? Any suggestions along those lines would be great, also. Color isn't necessarily important ... I've got to change the tan-and-brown scheme that this thing came with, anyway.

3 -- any recommendations on updating the radios, and replacing the antennas? One is missing completely, and the other is bent a wee bit, and shows its age. As for the radios ... is there a CD player version that fits where the cassette player is, and is there a modern CB radio or satellite radio that fits cleanly into the OEM CB compartment?

4 -- last question for now: the latch for the gas tank access door is missing. Is there something out there that fits in that door's cutout, either locking or not?

Thanks!

JMOC

:feedback:

1 -- has anyone replaced the mirrors with anything after-market that gets the mirrors above and wide of the line-of-sight that is blocked by having hands on the grips? Any suggestions for doing that in a way that is not too Frankenstein's Monster-ish?

On each master cylinder (clutch and brake), there is a removeable plastic cap covering a threaded hole for a conventional mirror. Any mirror designed for a Yamaha will screw into that hole (the left mounting hole is left handed thread, as are most left hand Yamaha mirrors).

mirror plug on master cylinder.jpg

2 -- has anyone replaced the original body panels with (a) an after-market set that is still available, or (b) by having a local shop re-create the set out of fiberglas or carbon fiber? Any suggestions along those lines would be great, also. Color isn't necessarily important ... I've got to change the tan-and-brown scheme that this thing came with, anyway.

There are no aftermarket body parts available, never have been.

Since color is not an issue for you, search on eBay for Venture body parts. Plenty on there. Most all the body parts (except the saddlebags and trunk) will fit on any year First Generation Venture.

3 -- any recommendations on updating the radios, and replacing the antennas? One is missing completely, and the other is bent a wee bit, and shows its age. As for the radios ... is there a CD player version that fits where the cassette player is, and is there a modern CB radio or satellite radio that fits cleanly into the OEM CB compartment?

The First Generation Venture Royale only came from the factory with one antennae, so the fact that you have/had two antennae, means someone has already modified the factory setup. Virtually any antennae will serve its intended purpose (CB or AM/FM).

4 -- last question for now: the latch for the gas tank access door is missing. Is there something out there that fits in that door's cutout, either locking or not?

All the fuel door latches on the First Gen will interchange whether the locking fuel door latch from the 1983,1984 or the non-locking latch from the 1985-1993. Of course, if you get a locking latch, don't forget to get the key for it. The 1986-1993 had a locking fuel tank cap, thus the reason the fuel door does not lock.

Edited by Prairiehammer

On each master cylinder (clutch and brake), there is a removeable plastic cap covering a threaded hole for a conventional mirror. Any mirror designed for a Yamaha will screw into that hole (the left mounting hole is left handed thread, as are most left hand Yamaha mirrors).

There are no aftermarket body parts available, never have been.

Since color is not an issue for you, search on eBay for Venture body parts. Plenty on there. Most all the body parts (except the saddlebags and trunk) will fit on any year First Generation Venture.

The First Generation Venture Royale only came from the factory with one antennae, so the fact that you have/had two antennae, means someone has already modified the factory setup. Virtually any antennae will serve its intended purpose (CB or AM/FM).

All the fuel door latches on the First Gen will interchange whether the locking fuel door latch from the 1983,1984 or the non-locking latch from the 1985-1993. Of course, if you get a locking latch, don't forget to get the key for it. The 1986-1993 had a locking fuel tank cap, thus the reason the fuel door does not lock. What year Venture do you have?

Mine is a 1987. Thanks for the tip on the hidden "seat" for the mirrors! I will check out eBay, but I am still curious if anyone has had parts made out of fiberglas or carbon fiber. My trunk & SB's just need paint, as near as I can tell ... it's the front & sides that are cracked/broken. Thanks, also, for the antenna clarification.

Is there a current part that I can get to replace the door latch?

Anyone with suggestions about upgrading the radios, themselves?

JMOC

Is there a current part that I can get to replace the door latch?

There two fuel door latches (PN. 54K-21780-01-00) for your Venture on eBay currently, both new, one is $50 the other is $100.

I'm sure that those are not viable for you, but you never know.

I'm sure you can find a good used latch on eBay. Just be diligent and patient.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-YAMAHA-XVZ1300-XVZ-1300-XVZ13DS-VENTURE-ROYALE-OEM-FUEL-TANK-COVER-LID/202413303407?epid=22023009349&hash=item2f20c5e66f:g:o3QAAOSwyohbf1Jk:sc:USPSFirstClass!61326!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Yamaha-XVZ12DN-Side-Cover-Lock-Assembly-54K-21780-00-00-SS-54K-21780-01-0/163724884478?hash=item261ec379fe:g:5iIAAOSw-otc-zTB