IGNORED

1987 Venture Royale 1300

There two fuel door latches (PN. 54K-21780-01-00) for your Venture on eBay currently, both new, one is $50 the other is $100.

I'm sure that those are not viable for you, but you never know.

I'm sure you can find a good used latch on eBay. Just be diligent and patient.

Oy! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can find some colored duct tape to hold the door closed for about 1/20th of that cost. I don't want the bike to look trashy, but something like that isn't worth that kind of scratch to me at the moment. :)

Oy! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can find some colored duct tape to hold the door closed for about 1/20th of that cost. I don't want the bike to look trashy, but something like that isn't worth that kind of scratch to me at the moment. :)

If you end up removing the stock audio system, note that the locking latch for the removable audio panel will fit the fuel door. Double lock redundancy, though.

If you end up removing the stock audio system, note that the locking latch for the removable audio panel will fit the fuel door. Double lock redundancy, though.

Thanks, again. I do have the original door latch, but the tab that pushes out to "catch" the flange and keep the door closed has somehow gotten disconnected from the rest of the mechanism; it will extend, but it does not retract, and that's no good. I cannot figure out how to fix that, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, New here to the Forum.

I traded for an 87 venture royale. Got it home and have been tinkering with it looking for things that need replaced and fixed. The first is getting it started. The battery is charged, the headlight dims when pressing the start switch, but not getting any cranking over. Not even hearing the fuel pump starting. Tried the Arc from from solenoid and nothing happened.

The previous guy had a friend drop bike while riding it and messed up the body. My buddy started pulling all parts to repair the broken fender, boxes and more. Honestly I am almost thinking he had disconnected something, but not sure.

Would like to get it running to try and figure out what else I need to start searching for.

Any suggestions?

I have the same bike. My experience is that if the kickstand is down, in gear with the clutch pulled in, I have the same symptoms you mentioned. Put in neutral and give it a try. Dave in central VA

PS When you get a good parts source, please share it with me.