CO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1987 Venture Royale 1300

Quote Originally Posted by mralex714 View Post
    Check the classified. I have left and right black and gold fairings in good shape from an 86 that will fit.
    Thank you for the response. Where do you live? Could you provide pictures if you are looking to sell them. Might just take both and have a spare or sell extra to make up some of the cost for shipping.

I'm in Colorado zip 81006

Eric

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you looked in the classifieds? He has the pictures posted there under first gen parts and accessories.

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anyone has mentioned the tilt kill switch. It may be stuck when the guys buddy dropped the bike??

United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by erovegno View Post
    Thank you for the response. Where do you live? Could you provide pictures if you are looking to sell them. Might just take both and have a spare or sell extra to make up some of the cost for shipping.

I'm in Colorado zip 81006

Eric
    I sent you a PM

United States
    CO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sent you a PM
    I tried sending 4 messages within the past 4 days.

Maybe try my email? erovegno1@gmail.com

Thank you for pics. Could you please give me a price for them and shipping cost?

The city is Pueblo, Colorado 81006.

Thank you again.
    Eric

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check the classified. I have left and right black and gold fairings in good shape from an 86 that will fit.
    It's been a year since anyone chimed in on this thread, but I'm hoping someone is still paying attention. This is my first post to the forum; I've looked for answers to these questions, but haven't found any. If I missed a thread, please let me know.

I have just acquired one of these. Runs nicely & the previous owner has kept up on things, but the cosmetics & creature comforts need some assistance, and it's missing a right-side mirror. A couple quick questions:

1 -- has anyone replaced the mirrors with anything after-market that gets the mirrors above and wide of the line-of-sight that is blocked by having hands on the grips? Any suggestions for doing that in a way that is not too Frankenstein's Monster-ish?

2 -- has anyone replaced the original body panels with (a) an after-market set that is still available, or (b) by having a local shop re-create the set out of fiberglas or carbon fiber? Any suggestions along those lines would be great, also. Color isn't necessarily important ... I've got to change the tan-and-brown scheme that this thing came with, anyway.

3 -- any recommendations on updating the radios, and replacing the antennas? One is missing completely, and the other is bent a wee bit, and shows its age. As for the radios ... is there a CD player version that fits where the cassette player is, and is there a modern CB radio or satellite radio that fits cleanly into the OEM CB compartment?

4 -- last question for now: the latch for the gas tank access door is missing. Is there something out there that fits in that door's cutout, either locking or not?

Thanks!

JMOC

United States
    IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JMOC View Post
    1 -- has anyone replaced the mirrors with anything after-market that gets the mirrors above and wide of the line-of-sight that is blocked by having hands on the grips? Any suggestions for doing that in a way that is not too Frankenstein's Monster-ish?
    On each master cylinder (clutch and brake), there is a removeable plastic cap covering a threaded hole for a conventional mirror. Any mirror designed for a Yamaha will screw into that hole (the left mounting hole is left handed thread, as are most left hand Yamaha mirrors).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirror plug on master cylinder.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	117150

2 -- has anyone replaced the original body panels with (a) an after-market set that is still available, or (b) by having a local shop re-create the set out of fiberglas or carbon fiber? Any suggestions along those lines would be great, also. Color isn't necessarily important ... I've got to change the tan-and-brown scheme that this thing came with, anyway.
    There are no aftermarket body parts available, never have been.
    Since color is not an issue for you, search on eBay for Venture body parts. Plenty on there. Most all the body parts (except the saddlebags and trunk) will fit on any year First Generation Venture.[/QUOTE]

3 -- any recommendations on updating the radios, and replacing the antennas? One is missing completely, and the other is bent a wee bit, and shows its age. As for the radios ... is there a CD player version that fits where the cassette player is, and is there a modern CB radio or satellite radio that fits cleanly into the OEM CB compartment?
    The First Generation Venture Royale only came from the factory with one antennae, so the fact that you have/had two antennae, means someone has already modified the factory setup. Virtually any antennae will serve its intended purpose (CB or AM/FM).

4 -- last question for now: the latch for the gas tank access door is missing. Is there something out there that fits in that door's cutout, either locking or not?
    All the fuel door latches on the First Gen will interchange whether the locking fuel door latch from the 1983,1984 or the non-locking latch from the 1985-1993. Of course, if you get a locking latch, don't forget to get the key for it. The 1986-1993 had a locking fuel tank cap, thus the reason the fuel door does not lock.
    Last edited by Prairiehammer; 07-23-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Kevin M. Campbell Hidden Content
    1974 Honda CB750, 1991 Venture Royale "the Tuxedo"
    Hidden Content

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prairiehammer View Post
    On each master cylinder (clutch and brake), there is a removeable plastic cap covering a threaded hole for a conventional mirror. Any mirror designed for a Yamaha will screw into that hole (the left mounting hole is left handed thread, as are most left hand Yamaha mirrors).

There are no aftermarket body parts available, never have been.
    Since color is not an issue for you, search on eBay for Venture body parts. Plenty on there. Most all the body parts (except the saddlebags and trunk) will fit on any year First Generation Venture.
    The First Generation Venture Royale only came from the factory with one antennae, so the fact that you have/had two antennae, means someone has already modified the factory setup. Virtually any antennae will serve its intended purpose (CB or AM/FM).

All the fuel door latches on the First Gen will interchange whether the locking fuel door latch from the 1983,1984 or the non-locking latch from the 1985-1993. Of course, if you get a locking latch, don't forget to get the key for it. The 1986-1993 had a locking fuel tank cap, thus the reason the fuel door does not lock. What year Venture do you have?[/QUOTE]

Mine is a 1987. Thanks for the tip on the hidden "seat" for the mirrors! I will check out eBay, but I am still curious if anyone has had parts made out of fiberglas or carbon fiber. My trunk & SB's just need paint, as near as I can tell ... it's the front & sides that are cracked/broken. Thanks, also, for the antenna clarification.

Is there a current part that I can get to replace the door latch?

Anyone with suggestions about upgrading the radios, themselves?

JMOC

United States
    IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a current part that I can get to replace the door latch?
    There two fuel door latches (PN. 54K-21780-01-00) for your Venture on eBay currently, both new, one is $50 the other is $100.
    I'm sure that those are not viable for you, but you never know.
    I'm sure you can find a good used latch on eBay. Just be diligent and patient.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-YAMAHA-X...ss!61326!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Yamaha...IAAOSw-otc-zTB
    Hidden Content

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This owner who is or was a member made this video about what he did to modify his bike including the radio replacement. You may be interested in viewing it.

2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture 23k miles
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale 6k miles
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft 5k miles

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    This owner who is or was a member made this video about what he did to modify his bike including the radio replacement. You may be interested in viewing it.

Thanks!

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There two fuel door latches (PN. 54K-21780-01-00) for your Venture on eBay currently, both new, one is $50 the other is $100.
    I'm sure that those are not viable for you, but you never know.
    I'm sure you can find a good used latch on eBay. Just be diligent and patient.
    Oy! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can find some colored duct tape to hold the door closed for about 1/20th of that cost. I don't want the bike to look trashy, but something like that isn't worth that kind of scratch to me at the moment.

United States
    IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oy! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can find some colored duct tape to hold the door closed for about 1/20th of that cost. I don't want the bike to look trashy, but something like that isn't worth that kind of scratch to me at the moment.
    If you end up removing the stock audio system, note that the locking latch for the removable audio panel will fit the fuel door. Double lock redundancy, though.
    Hidden Content

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you end up removing the stock audio system, note that the locking latch for the removable audio panel will fit the fuel door. Double lock redundancy, though.
    Thanks, again. I do have the original door latch, but the tab that pushes out to "catch" the flange and keep the door closed has somehow gotten disconnected from the rest of the mechanism; it will extend, but it does not retract, and that's no good. I cannot figure out how to fix that, though.

United States
    VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by erovegno View Post
    Hello, New here to the Forum.

I traded for an 87 venture royale. Got it home and have been tinkering with it looking for things that need replaced and fixed. The first is getting it started. The battery is charged, the headlight dims when pressing the start switch, but not getting any cranking over. Not even hearing the fuel pump starting. Tried the Arc from from solenoid and nothing happened.

The previous guy had a friend drop bike while riding it and messed up the body. My buddy started pulling all parts to repair the broken fender, boxes and more. Honestly I am almost thinking he had disconnected something, but not sure.

Would like to get it running to try and figure out what else I need to start searching for.

Any suggestions?
    I have the same bike. My experience is that if the kickstand is down, in gear with the clutch pulled in, I have the same symptoms you mentioned. Put in neutral and give it a try. Dave in central VA
    PS When you get a good parts source, please share it with me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12