IGNORED

Went back to bias ply Pirelli’s

Hi all

My best friends ever besides my Brother @cowpuc at ultimatemotorcycling.com handed me a set of Pirelli MT66 tires. How cool is that!

This is my ride report that they published.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/06/18/pirelli-mt-66-route-tire-review-an-oldie-but-goodie/

Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

My best friends ever besides my Brother cowpuc at ultimatemotorcycling.com handed me a set of Pirelli MT66 tires. How cool is that!

This is my ride report that they published.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/06/18/pirelli-mt-66-route-tire-review-an-oldie-but-goodie/

Let me know what you think.

Neil is a spoiled rotten lop eared varmint that Mom always did liked best :big-grin-emoticon: BUT he still writes the most fantastic, accurate and true motorcycle/motorcycle accessory reports out there = 2nd to none IMHO - ANOTHER AWESOME PIECE OF WORK MY BROTHER!!!

NEW PIRELLI'S = You lucky lop eared Ironbuttin Cross Country touring varmint @VentureFar ,,,,,, couldn't have happened to a more deserving chap IMHO = Tip says HI NEIL and sends a huge congratulatory :bighug:your way, Tweeks is asking why she dont get treated so special (try explaining to your motorcycle that we dont get to control who lives down the street from us) and I am totally proud of you,,, :sign green with env,,,, YES,,, but still very very proud of that far riding brother of mine!!!!

Keep up the good work Neil!!!!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Neil,

I had a set of Pirelli MT66 Routes on my 05 2nd Gen for a couple of years. Liked them at first...just as you reported. With some wear on them though, they got a bit squirly on tar strips and ridges in the road. They always dived into the corner...which I attributed, at first, to the RSV. But after lowering the front end, I came to the conclusion the tires added to the issue. Switched over to Shinko 777HD's and all that went away. Very neutral tires these Shinkos...

I like your writing...wish I was younger so I could join you on an Iron Butt. I gotta get off and walk around every 100 miles or so...grins!

Good report! Let us know how the tires fare in about 4k - 5K miles...I'll be curious, since we ride the same scoot.

They were awesome rain tires for me. Never felt uncomfortable running at interstate speeds in the rain with them. However because of that ability I think they wear a bit too fast and they wallow in the twisties on such a heavy bike.

Good overall tire.

• 2 months later...

Update at 4000 miles.

The front and rear still look brand new to me at 4000 road miles. There you go @cowpuc you won’t have to change this rear tire mid way across the continent.

I did 3300 from LA to Montana, over Beartooth and Chief Joseph thru Cody to Denver then Gallup NM and back to LA.

Had 1.5 days of solid rain. Tires always felt solid under me.

Also, and this is very subjective but the whole ride The Pirelli’s just felt “comfortable” under me. Kind of like a new pair of Nike tennis shoes with added gel inserts. I don’t normally “feel” my tires after the initial get to know them couple of hundred miles but these stood out as making the ride smoother somehow.

I’ll keep everyone updated as the miles pass by.

FYI I do have a 130 on the front which adds the ease of power steering to the front end.

VentureFar...

Neil,

I had a set of Pirelli MT66 Routes on my 05 2nd Gen for a couple of years. Liked them at first...just as you reported. With some wear on them though, they got a bit squirly on tar strips and ridges in the road. They always dived into the corner...which I attributed, at first, to the RSV. But after lowering the front end, I came to the conclusion the tires added to the issue. Switched over to Shinko 777HD's and all that went away. Very neutral tires these Shinkos...

I like your writing...wish I was younger so I could join you on an Iron Butt. I gotta get off and walk around every 100 miles or so...grins!

Good report! Let us know how the tires fare in about 4k - 5K miles...I'll be curious, since we ride the same scoot.

I did find at slow speed in city right turns or u turn speeds that the MT66 does want to dive into the turn (130 on the front with rear raised up. But at higher speeds like in twisties I feel like it doesn’t want to go into the turn making it more stable on the hwy.

VentureFar...

• 2 weeks later...

I rode two up yesterday and my slow speed stability was noticeable. So was the drop into a turn. I can deal with the drop into o a slow speed turn, just takes a little extra attention and handlebar strength but I love the slow speed stability coming up to a stop lite two up.

VentureFar...

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting my first read of the thread.

Lots comes to mind here and, thinking back to a setup problem Ajay and I were going thru when he moved up to the 1100 cat from the taller 750, his complaint was getting the bike low. Now I had just reshoed it, so I went and, found no issues. I attributed it to him getting use to the wider saddle, longer wheel base, heavier-ness, and to set the C/G by quick throttle and count on the fast response to lift and pull him up and out!

Now on a bigger and heavier bike then here mentioned and in very cold weather, dry, wet, snow then ice changing conditions as the sun made her way thru, over and past the ONT. HW11 which is an up or down HW depending on heading; we are either in a left bank or right for half a day or so, with the odd short snappy twist, (this is a truckers rout or a late season rout) Now I can't think of a moments regret with the Pirelli outside of perhaps slow to warm or say stiff!

City on this same bike is a known issue regardless of brand.

Now I get the narrower front but there is a price to pay with regards to roll off center, just as there would be with an under inflated when viewing the contact patch in cross section. This also applies when the rear is overly fat.

Now on the 91 Venture I really enjoyed the Metz but as I've mentioned I think the Michelin handled the rain better.

Soon it will be time to reshoe the beast and I'm not going to play around because it a chore to do, I'll be back to the white wall Perelli's just because I know what to expect, not that other brands aren't worth consideration.

• 1 year later...

Just an update as I prep to change out for Kenda’s

Got 8000 miles on the pirelli MT 66’s and still have tread. Not to the wear bars yet.

I would say 750 - 1000 miles to the wear bars.

Both front and rear wore equally. Never seen that before. Usually get double mileage on the front.

I remember getting only 6000 on shinko’s for both front and rear.

Seems like pay 1/2 of “the name brands” and get 1/2 the mileage.

Will advise on the new kenda’s.

VentureFar...

Little more update on the Pirelli mT66. As was written above, the rubber seems to get harder as the tire wears down so it doesn’t grip like new did. I didn’t notice any handling differences and I did a 350 mile- mostly twisties- ride recently.

VentureFar...