IGNORED

Weird MPG horsepower issue?

So I don't mind getting caught in the rain its part of being a biker. I don't however like to start out in the rain. So i've been working on the car as we approach rainy season. Haven't ridden every day like usual.

Here's the issue, nothing has been done to the bike other than sitting 3-4 days at a time instead of just overnight. Lately, i've been loafing along the road anyhow as sometimes they are damp. Well I went out yesterday and tried to pass someone, i actually had to down shift! Hmmm. well the rest of the trip I tried various punch from rolling starts in various gears. They bike seems to be down just a smidge in HP Nothing drastic just now in harley territory instead of normal rocket like acceleration. Today the fuel light came on as I was welling to work. I moved the I pod and check the mileage 1 was over 150 since last fill up. Now for me and my riding i get a max of 130 before the light usually closer to 125 week in and week out.

So both things have occurred since last fill up, i use the same station as its on the correct side of the road where i make a turn. Tire the same no tune up no oil change nothing. the planned oil change a few weeks back was rained out (must do it soon getting close to 2K miles)

Any ideas! Is it just a fluke?

These bikes run amazingly well on 3 cylinders. When on 3 cyl the HP will be down a bit but usually the gas mileage is also down a bit.

Do the temp test on the headers to see if they are all coming up to temp at the same rate.

High probability you have a sticky main? Prove it by checking temperature on all 4 at the exhausts. If they are close to equal within 4 minutes of run time its the main. If not pilot or plug would be a good start.

Yep they run pretty good on 3.

High probability you have a sticky main? Prove it by checking temperature on all 4 at the exhausts. If they are close to equal within 4 minutes of run time its the main. If not pilot or plug would be a good start.

Yep they run pretty good on 3.

Just rereading this post and.. My instruction is mixed up.

The temperature check will indicate pilot circuit.

The main best represents the fuel consumption and lack of power. So sticking main or damaged leaking diaphragm!

Sorry about that, the French & English sides of me obviously had an argument. Not sure which one won reading that confusion;)

Patch

You make a good point bluesky.

You don't necessarily need to have a true reading though. You really are just looking to compare jug temps. So if you work quickly the readings are useful proving, you measure each one at the same location and as close to the port as possible while testing!

Patch

Well the Horsepower may have been in my head, from not riding for a few days. The MPG is explained I had forgotten that Had to make an 80 mile round tripper the day before the rains started, it was all interest driving at 75 MPH in 5th so the average went way up.

Thanks for all the advice though I did get a laser Pyrometer to check the pipes, so I now have that in my shop WOOT WOOT