IGNORED

5 ways to die.

• 2 years later...

I was heading East a couple years back. The morning was filled with twists, solid pavement plenty of fueling stations so we pushed hard thru the pleasures before us. Round about 2ish the skies were filling in as we pushed on. Then came light spotty drizzle at the front of a storm moving West and closing in.

I enjoy riding in rain unless of course its too cold so we pull off to fuel, eat and let the rain flush the path.

As we turned to walk to the diner a Wing had just parked and wow were those rookies soaked; about late 30's I guessed, 2 up and a trailer.

The girlfriend got off first and went straight in, he had a story to tell a couple of oldtimers ;)

He went on to say they just picked up the bike in TO. and how heavy the rain was further down the hills. I remember this part very well as he described he was able to maintain speed at 60 but would slow thru the curves to "maybe 55" not our usual way of talking speed in these parts but...

His story evolved to speak of this "******* cut me off in a curve, I couldn't see a thing past the spray"

At that moment I knew not just experience decision-ed us off the floating surface oil but more like, that was where I was meant to be standing, at that time.

Some might remember I broke my left foot on that 17 ride and standing there on the gravel listening in the wet... well wasn't really what I was feeling much like doing. Then came the bolt of thundering words I guess I was there to hear just as that began (just my type) walked out of the diner and stood in the huddle listening to her man as he spoke of slaying that demon spraying dragon ;)

"I kept right on the corner of his bumper making sure he could see me chasing him with my light in his mirror all the way to here" hmm :scratchchin:

I see, as I began to remove the 2 layers of leather from my right hand then placing it flat to my jacket chest high I said "see this hand, pins wire bits & pieces, and, this is just one part of what aches in this weather" - "there is no place for temper or anger on a bike - if not for yourself then for your Babe"

I turned to her and said "remind your man the next time; to just let it go"

Yup true story ;)

Edited by Patch

• 2 months later...

My son learned a very valuable lesson this summer about mirrors and shoulder checks. He turned 16 this spring and we bought a bike and took a training course and he has been riding most of the late summer. He was out for a ride with a buddy headed for a town about 45 min away. Theres a 70 km zone on a curve and his buddy noticed that one of the pegs on his crash bar was loose so he flashed his lights at my son a couple of times and turned off at a store on the curve to remove the peg before he lost it. My son didn't realize he had turned off until after the curve where there is a long straight stretch. He signaled to turn left into a driveway but had misjudged the speed of a truck and camper coming up behind him and ended up turning into them as they passed him. He ended up with an arm broken in two places and a thumb broken at the joint and a plane ride to thunder bay to set it all straight. If the passenger peg had not caught the camper and spun him away from it he probably would have been hurt worse. Bent bars and busted fiberglass we can fix. He was riding a hoysung gt250r that has had some work done to it and is a good starter bike for him. Hes bounced back fine.

0115201953.jpg

Just a small something I notice on the bike above: If I was setting up a bike for a junior rider I would install F series handle bars meaning a bar that raises the shoulders and thus the head and line of sight as well! Simply helps them judge better....

Glad he scrape thru this mishap, the thumb will take a while because its at the joint ( just my experience) 

My boy flipped a 750 Katana misjudging the second curve, he was well protected by gear thankfully. The next morning I found a chip from his new Bell lying next to the helmet on his dresser; that night we looked for any impact signs visible to the helmet before leaving the scene... Well...Luck...Fools and Children...

Its getting that call that something has happened that is every parents nightmare. My son has been in a number of adventures now that has ment the rebuilding of one machine or another. He's learning but he also won't let mistakes keep him from trying again. He's currently rebuilding a mxz 800 that has been plagued with mid range bogging issues. Clutch, reeds, rave exhaust bellows. Checking the pto side crankseals now, we'll get it sooner or later.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I saw something like this today. I was riding on a two way local highway with a speed limit of 100km. (Canada) and there was a bit of traffic up ahead. Not going slower than the maximum speed limit but slow to some people. There was a couple of RVs doing the up to the maximum speed allowed. I was in the middle of two RVs and suddenly there was roar and two Harley's roared on the shoulder and overtaking on the right side over the shoulder. It was crazy. Not only did they overtake one vehicle they overtook about 5 vehicles all from riding on the shoulder. 

These kinds of guys gives riders a bad name. 

14 hours ago, Davvid said:

I saw something like this today. I was riding on a two way local highway with a speed limit of 100km. (Canada) and there was a bit of traffic up ahead. Not going slower than the maximum speed limit but slow to some people. There was a couple of RVs doing the up to the maximum speed allowed. I was in the middle of two RVs and suddenly there was roar and two Harley's roared on the shoulder and overtaking on the right side over the shoulder. It was crazy. Not only did they overtake one vehicle they overtook about 5 vehicles all from riding on the shoulder. 

These kinds of guys gives riders a bad name. 

And drive up insurance cost for all of us.