IGNORED

To pay or not to pay at the pump? That is the question..

snyper316

Who has heard of Card Skimming and who pays at the pump  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who has heard of Card Skimming and who pays at the pump

• Your crazy never heard such a thing
    • I pay at the pump but never heard of skimming
    • I use pay at the pump and have heard of skimming and know what to look for.
    • I refuse to pay at the pump.

OK so recently I went down the street to get gas just to do a little Yamahamerring and low and behold I got declined. So I got to looking at my bank account because I should have more then enuff to cover putting $10 into tinker. Needless to say I guess I got skimmed or whatever it is called. I posted on another thread about my little adventure I must have a clone running around, makes me think of Weird Al song I think I am a clone now. But all Joking aside it is a pretty freaky thing, I don't have anything that holds $74.09 in gas, then within minutes it appears they got another $39.26 in gas. It was gas because Friday it was showing as a pre authorization for a $1.00 like it would any other time. Then I get on the phone with the gas station and while I am on the phone with the manager another charge this time it shows up out of the blue no pre authorization nothing. $10.00 at a Fast Gas all in St Joe Missouri. I have never been there in my life but there is nothing I could do but block my cards and report them lost or stolen. So I then shredded them after that. SO the poll is who here pays at the pump? And Who has heard of this Card Skimming?

I must also live under a rock but I was also told that my chip card was safer than them crazy RFID chips. I googled this after I talked to the lady at Jax Mart In St Joe because I never heard of it and evedently they had a special on it here is the video that I found so guess watch out this summer.

I pay at the pump. It does make me nervous but it could happen other places also. Convenience stores where you go inside, you could be hacked there also. It's a risk anywhere you go now. Sunday, Sunday before last, about 10 days ago, I got a call from the company that handles the debit card from my bank. They asked if I had done online transactions over the past few minutes for just over $1200.00, $1400.00 and $1800.00. All three transactions were in the U.K. I assured them that I had not and in fact, had made no transactions at all that day. The $1297.00 one had already gone through but they had flagged the next two and put them on hold until they called me. While we were on the phone, they cancelled my card. I had to file a dispute for the one that went through and it was back in my account in about 3 or 4 days. It took about 6 days for my new debit card to arrive. Very inconvenient but at least I didn't lose any money.

I have absolutely no idea where it was hacked. It could have been anywhere. I now have alerts set up so that I know immediately anytime the card is used. It is my business debit card and I keep a good deal of money in that account.

I think we should go back to public hangings for these scammers who prey on our society.. :stickpoke: :big-grin-emoticon:

I don't personally even give em the time of day and let em mess up my life with their filth, I just keep an eye on my checking balances and report all ahh ohhs, let the banks handle the frauders..

I will say this though,, something I learned the hard way about using my debit cards when traveling cross country.. I noticed my debit card stopped working one time while out CTFW and thought I had been scammed.. Later I find out that cha gotta call in ahead of time and get clearance for out of town transactions or the bank will shut off the card.. I was kinda upset the first time this happened but later,, after thinking about it,, I was actually thankful to see them taking action to protect themselves and my money and have since, been very very diligent in prereporting my travel plans.. Just sort a personal effort on my part to maybe help in catching one of those lowlifes!!!

OK so recently I went down the street to get gas just to do a little Yamahamerring and low and behold I got declined. So I got to looking at my bank account because I should have more then enuff to cover putting $10 into tinker. Needless to say I guess I got skimmed or whatever it is called. I posted on another thread about my little adventure I must have a clone running around, makes me think of Weird Al song I think I am a clone now. But all Joking aside it is a pretty freaky thing, I don't have anything that holds $74.09 in gas, then within minutes it appears they got another $39.26 in gas. It was gas because Friday it was showing as a pre authorization for a $1.00 like it would any other time. Then I get on the phone with the gas station and while I am on the phone with the manager another charge this time it shows up out of the blue no pre authorization nothing. $10.00 at a Fast Gas all in St Joe Missouri. I have never been there in my life but there is nothing I could do but block my cards and report them lost or stolen. So I then shredded them after that. SO the poll is who here pays at the pump? And Who has heard of this Card Skimming?

By the way Snype,, GOOD JOB ON SETTING UP THE POLL!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I've been lucky I guess. It happens in western florida all the time. According to a special report we have the highest incident of "Skimming" in the US right now. It has happened to dozens of people here at work and others at the park. The thing is even on debit cards you get your money back eventually, its either the store or the bank left holding the bag which means we all get to pay.

You can buy card readers on line now for $20.00 and the flimsy coke machine locks most pumps have that cover the card reader are a joke. A guy pulls up, the passenger open his door to block the view, with in a minute. the door is open the new reader is installed and cable jumped to the main board so you get your gas, and the skimmer has your card number and pin in storage. Many of these skimmers looks so good many times pumps are opened and they aren't noticed. Some even have blue tooth so you don't have to reopen the pump to get your data! In many cases here in FL the thieves even carry "SECURITY" tape and put it over the door after the're done.

I must also live under a rock but I was also told that my chip card was safer than them crazy RFID chips. I googled this after I talked to the lady at Jax Mart In St Joe because I never heard of it and evedently they had a special on it here is the video that I found so guess watch out this summer.

Thats just CRAZY! Thanks for that.

I pay at the pump. Whenever I use my card in an unusual place or more than a hundred miles from home the card always ask me for my ZIP code to verify that it's me.

I used to carry prepaid Visa cards. For online purchases or gas you can use the prepaid and it's not tied to any of your other accounts or information because it's just a card you picked up at Walmart and put a balance on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I called the bank this morning and made them aware and found it was my card number that was used. The lady at the card company also did not cancel my card. The bank did that this morning so now I get to order a new one yay... I had a baby blue one and hate that color.. On that card anyways. They have designs maybe they will have one with a bald eagle[emoji23]! Trying to find humor here but I also have to go to loan shark to take care of this problem. Thank god its only for 3 days. So $10 at most. Found another video so check this one out these guys are slick..

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

I pay at the pump. I like to use Credit Card, you are not liable for fraud. I hate debit cards where the money comes directly from the bank account. Much more hassle to get your spendable money back.

I cancelled my debit card 18 years ago and only use a major cc due to the threat of skimmers. Restaurant and bar staff have been using skimmers long before placing skimmers on gas pumps became popular.

Edited by AABBCC

You do not have an option for "I know all about skimmers but use pay at the pump anyhow."

As mentioned I will never use my debit card at a pump. Some places will freeze $50-$75 of your money to be sure that there is sufficient funds to cover the purchase. On a bike trip where you stop many times in one day, you could have many hundreds of dollars frozen in your checking and end up bouncing checks until the freezes thaw out in a few days. If a debit card is stolen it is harder to get the money back and the money will remain unavailable until the whole thing is sorted out in a few day up to a month. With a CC the card company is out the funds until they get it sorted out. My debit card is only used to get cash from the ATM that is located inside of my bank at what was once one of the teller windows Hard to add a skimmer when there is a teller 3 feet away and a big obvious camera pointed right at the ATM. And you know that banks do not ever have fake cameras.:whistling:

With current skimming tech, just like it says in the vids above, there is absolutely no way to tell that there is a skimmer in a gas pump. I go to reputable brand name stations and always try to use the pump closed to the cashier, as that is the least likely one to get a skimmer installed.

Something I never saw mentioned, just how hard would it be to add a micro-switch that would set off an alarm at the cashier when the pump is opened to install the skimmer. That would make it real hard to get in there to install a skimmer and it would give the attendant time to get a plate number and call the Police. I saw in the vid that some stations added a hasp and a padlock using one of the easiest locks to open that there is, and the screw heads were exposed so it would only take a screwdriver to remove the screws. For an electric screwdriver you are talking seconds to pull 4 screws.

The crooks are getting smarter and smarter, FAST, I think the crooks are getting smarter faster than the banks are getting smarter. The banks are playing catch up, they seem to wait for the next breach and them come up with a counter measure, instead of finding possible breaches and plugging the hole before the leak happens.

I hate SCAMMERS............

OK I'll shut up now. Back to my corner before I end up on double, quadruple, triple probation......

You do not have an option for "I know all about skimmers but use pay at the pump anyhow."

Yeah I believe it is option 2 maybe 3 I think I will double check when not on the phone.

That is shown in second video. I tell you got some real winners out there.

You can now be skimmed through your wallet in your back pocket, my new wallet has

that new protection to stop that.

I pay at the pump and yes, it concerns me a bit.

Back in November my CC got "hacked" and there were over a hundred bogus charges against it, all to the same company and most of the charges were for the same amount.

I check my accounts on-line every day and sometimes twice a day. When I saw those transactions I immediately called my CC company and told them about it. They cancelled my card, reversed the charges, and sent me a new card, no problem.

It pays to do on-line banking and check your accounts regularly. This is not the first time this has happened over the years but if you're on top of it, you're CC company will come to the rescue.

I didn't see it mentioned, but in BC it is (or was) mandatory under provincial law to pay at the pump; a station attendant got killed trying to stop a vehicle that drove away without paying, and so in classic Canadian fashion, somebody thought another knee-jerk law was the answer.

Is it true though that chip & pin isn't widespread in the US? It's absolutely ubiquitous here (and in the Western European countries I've visited).

I don't remember the last time I actually used the mag stripe on any of my cards.

I just love looking at glass at walmart I figure better to shop online and now I can order my groceries online I may start doing that. Everywhere you go anymore is got someone ripping someone off. I also love how Gumment gets involved and everything gets soooo much better. I will stop at that....

In the USA, every gas pump and ATM still use the mag strip. Most stores use the chip. Neither is more secure than the other. The chip helped for the first month it was out, it took the crooks that long to modify their equipment to hack the chip. Now some experts say the chip is even easier to hack. The crooks can read the chip from several feet away. So your card can be stolen just by walking past the crook on the sidewalk. The mag strip at least has to be swiped to be read.

In the USA, every gas pump and ATM still use the mag strip. Most stores use the chip. Neither is more secure than the other. The chip helped for the first month it was out, it took the crooks that long to modify their equipment to hack the chip. Now some experts say the chip is even easier to hack. The crooks can read the chip from several feet away. So your card can be stolen just by walking past the crook on the sidewalk. The mag strip at least has to be swiped to be read.

The chip (visible chip on the surface of the card) cannot be read at any distance, it is a contact conduction chip. RFID (also known as NFC), the "tap&go" technology is what can be read at a distance, though it is a short one. Some cards have both, some not.

I just love looking at glass at walmart I figure better to shop online and now I can order my groceries online I may start doing that. Everywhere you go anymore is got someone ripping someone off. I also love how Gumment gets involved and everything gets soooo much better. I will stop at that....

Another twist to the plot. My wife wanted to b'day gift her 80yr old dad with a motorized trike (3 wheeled bicycle) to do a Family ride on a rails to trails here in Alabama. Our son was going to do the motor conversation on a trike she ordered from Wal-Mart. Supposedly the trike arrived at our local store. Went to pickup but it wasn't during daytime business hours and internet orders are only processed during daytime hours. Called the next day and they knew nothing about it. "Must have been lost between Atlanta and Alabama" Reordered. Can't remember the details but that one never showed up either. We suspect Wal-Mart employees sold 2 trikes on the black market. Either way we weren't out any $. The opportunity to make a memory passed. We order nothing from Wal-Mart online anymore EVER!

As an aside, I worked for my father n law 31 years in a highly respected business. As a courtesy I wrote repeat customers CC info down in their file because most just wanted their stuff expedited ASAP. I realized years ago the risk of any transaction involving a card. A disgruntled employee? I'm no longer there but any employee has access to those files. It's a solid company with high quality workers BUT ....

GUMMENT? Yeah. Let's vote for change! See the nickels dimes quarters AND gazillion dollars fly from our pockets to oblivion! Now YOU got ME started!

Oh man..... so may issues.

I haven't had any problems at gas stations, but I got hit a while back at a local tobacco shop. One of those drive up window places. Clerk hangs in the window and you get a couple packs and you pass them the card though the window, (FIRST RED FLAG), my card was out of my sight...... for only a few seconds. And I even get a receipt, that I have to sign for when I do that, for the correct amount. Never thought much about doing that. It's a neighborhood business that I visit a few times a month. Yeah, it's a trust thing, my mistake.

But when I got my monthly bank statement, (ON LINE), I noticed I'd been buying from that shop WAY MORE than I thought. I logged in to my bank account and printed out all my purchase details on that one card. Hum..... looked like for every visit I'd made to that drive up shop I had made purchases 2, 3 or 4 times on the same day. The old NOPE..... didn't happen. So I printed out my info an visited my bank manger the next day and explained what I had found. His computer system is so much nicer than mine. His records matched my dates but his has time stamps on every transaction. Not only the same days but several transaction on the same card within seconds of the first one. A couple amounts the same as the first as my original purchase, the next the next next one a little more and the ones after that went up. Never that much money enough to notice a dent in my account. But over that month it added up by the time I saw my statement.

So my bank manager canceled that card and filed some forms to recover the false charges and told me for file a Police Report also, which I did, with all the printouts I had from the bank. The Police investigation determined that there was NO CRIME.

I'd never reported the card stolen or lost during those time, until I went to bank bank manager and filed the Police report, and I had even told them I had never lost my card. I was ALWAYS in my possession EXCEPT when I handed to that one clerk at the one store. Bank investigators told me in the beginning they take fraud VERY seriously. But in the end, they came back with "Well , the card was in YOUR possession at the times of purchase." Not really ya know. It was in the clerks hand at the time.... for a few seconds.

So all in all I took a minor hit. It all added up at the end of the month to about $100.00 that got charged falsely.

Now on the subject of gas...... My oldest friend has owned an auto service shop with gas pumps out front for decades. Well known guy and well respected in the area. Shop is closed at night but pumps are 24 hours. Well lit area on a busy street, with 24 hour security cameras. When he opened the shop one morning he had a customer complain the pump was not working. When I checked it out the pump wasn't getting any fuel from the tank. He sticked the tank and it was almost dry. He's had just had topped off both underground tanks a couple days before. His first concern was a leaking storage tank. But when he compared the daily pump readings it had seemed they had pumped over $3,500 worth of gas over night.

When he checked his security footage, running backwards, it showed almost constant line of vehicles though a good part the night to JUST one pump. As soon as one car pulled out another was waiting behind it. The drivers were just handling the pump line back and forth from car to car. On the tape before all the traffic started to that pump he was able to see someone had walked down the street and was only at that pump for maybe half a minute, but he had opened the pump cover and done something inside of it. Then more than likely had called EVERYBODY he knew and said "FREE GAS". At the end of the recording, early in the morning the same guy can back to opened to door again and walked away.

No matter where you go or who you deal with there is ALWAYS somebody out to screw over the next guy. I saw a TEE shirt a while back that hit a note with me.

I DON'T TRUST PEOPLE FOR TWO REASONS

1. I DON'T KNOW THEM.

2. I KNOW THEM.

Kind of a sad thought ya know...