IGNORED

Thoughts on a possible solution to tie BT headsets into Bike Comms/CB

Fellow Venturers.....For whatever reason I started thinking about how to tie a bluetooth headset into the bike coms and to completely get rid of the 'tether'...I mean, wired cable

With that said, I've been out of the game here a bit and did a search to see if anything new had cropped up in my respite. From what I have seen, it is a mix of yes and no. BUT....I did come across a post by FreezyRider that did catch my attention: See post here...

Now this tickled my brain stem a bit...Especially being recently a friend of mind handed me a Scala Q3 Multiset and a regular Q3 that he had picked up a few years back. He was no real fan of headsets, but you just don't turn down items like that...if he wouldn't use them, he would get them to somebody who would.....hence me, as my 9 year old recently started riding with me. Point being, I have a multiset for me and her and technically have a spare headset to use for 'the bike'. While this is rattling in my head, i figured I needed a sound board to bounce this idea off of before I start investing (be it time and/or money) into to....because if it has already be tried and it is still a no go, it would be a moot point.

My idea piggy backs on the idea in said post. Basically construct/use a 5 pin break out adapter to split the mic and speakers into 2 seperate connectors...One, wiring the Mic leads of the 5 pin connector to the speaker pin of the Q3...and Two, wiring the the audio from the 5 pin to the Q3 mic pin. Connect them accordingly and setup the 'bike' Q3 to intercom with the 'rider' set/unit. By using the Vox feature, it would trigger the transmission to the bike's Q3, outputing from the audio connection of the Q3 to the Bike's mic connection on the 5 pin....basically tieing it into the bike's intercom system, and once the transmit button is pressed, it would be transmitted to the CB. Vice versa, any audio from the CB/bike audio would be sent back through the 5 pin audio to the Q3's mic, thus transmitting it across the bluetooth link between the headsets IC link. This also leaves regular 2 BT channels opn on the Q3 to add a phone and/or GPS...by wiring in a USB cable to charge it, it could be made semi-permanent.

Short of the headset cost itself (which is still far cheaper than any other solutions I've seen), the breakout adapter should be fairly cheap and easy to construct. Plus, any other headset with Vox that uses a standard Mic and Audio connectors 'should' be able to work as well, not just a Q3 setup...

As far as BT audio to the bike, that could be handled with a simple BT to 3.5mm adapter, like so, to the Aux port and then using the phone to send phone calls to go to the headset and music to go to the adapter...

Thoughts on the subject?

PS...sorry for the 'book' of a post, but I like to be thorough....

Most of that is above my head but as far as the BT input I found a receiver on eBay that I mounted inside the fairing and tied into the 12v lighter plug circuit. It goes on and off with the key and no batteries to charge.

Well, I was thinking I'd just take a few 'pre-exisiting' pieces and cannibalize....err, butcher.....ahhh....'re-purpose' them as a test adapter. Basically, I'd snip the end of a J&M cable, the end of a full face (aka, non-boom) Scala mic, and the end of some old ear buds. Would give me a plenty of room to just hodge podge it together to test with. Definitely a function over form project.

Hence, the sounding board here before I started with the hacking :D

Then again, it is just a thought to me at the moment as I have a few more projects on deck I'd need to knock out first....primarely getting 'my' RSV back into a running condition (story for another time). However, that might not stop someone else picking up the ball and running with it. it would only take a pair of headsets to do the initial test. 1 for the rider, 1 for the bike....so, a riding partner's headset could be used to test with...and it would already be paired with the rider's to begin with ;)

Another random thought....depending on the headsets in question, nothing says the bike headset 'has' to be expensive. As some of the more high end BT headsets we like allow other 'non like-branded' headsets to interface with them, you can theoretically use a fairly cheap headset as the 'bridge' device vs an expensive like-branded unit...could actually make this a fairly in-expensive solution, in the whole scheme of things...