User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 997 pound bike that handles better than a 557 pound Sports Tour....

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The 997 pound bike that handles better than a 557 pound Sports Tour....

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
    Puc...that is a good analogy. This engine really thinks it's a commercial diesel. It pulls low...and loves it. I was coming home at 65 mph, at around 2050 RPM in 6th. Gotta love that!
    Sooo,,, with all that extra torque,,,, what about just taking off in 5th gear all time?? Now that I am riding a 1st Gen with a 2nd gear in it,, I am shocked at how easily it handles launching in 2nd,,,, seems like this new one should do 4th or 5th gear stop/starts with no problem and forget all that shifting?
    I spent some time driving truck and I know from experience that using those lower gears wasnt even necessary if ya didnt have 40 ton on your back,, does the same rule apply here?
    Remembering my brother and friend:
    "I'm not Yammer Dan" - Yammer Dan
    Proverbs 18:24 - "There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother"..
    Miss you bro - Puc

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The 997 pound bike that handles better than a 557 pound Sports Tour....

Quote Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
    Sooo,,, with all that extra torque,,,, what about just taking off in 5th gear all time?? Now that I am riding a 1st Gen with a 2nd gear in it,, I am shocked at how easily it handles launching in 2nd,,,, seems like this new one should do 4th or 5th gear stop/starts with no problem and forget all that shifting?
    I spent some time driving truck and I know from experience that using those lower gears wasnt even necessary if ya didnt have 40 ton on your back,, does the same rule apply here?
    There was a guy with co-rider on one of the last summer tours....and he stated that he could start up with her and full gear in third, and not stress the engine. Would I do that? Nope... I short shift now...1-6, at around 1,900 and have no problem getting up to 60 mph, along with most traffic around me. I can't go over 2,300 rpm anyways....for a little while more.

3. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one thought that I still have is, what is happening to the tires while hanging on to push 964 lbs around the switchbacks, vs the tire load on the ST bike at half the weight. The tires on the SVTC are a lot more expensive than on the ST.

I am thinking in terms of while I will occasionally scrape a foot peg, my tires usually get replaced due to age and not due to wear, while others like our buddy Puc has gone thru 5 sets of tires in a year.
    Jeff Borowski . . Had 88 Venture standard, now 2011 Silverado 4x4
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't.
    Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post
    The one thought that I still have is, what is happening to the tires while hanging on to push 964 lbs around the switchbacks, vs the tire load on the ST bike at half the weight. The tires on the SVTC are a lot more expensive than on the ST.

I am thinking in terms of while I will occasionally scrape a foot peg, my tires usually get replaced due to age and not due to wear, while others like our buddy Puc has gone thru 5 sets of tires in a year.
    I think what I found impressive, is that the bike could do it...could enact the feat. One wouldn't truly BUY this bike to ride in a Sports manner...but to know, they engineered that capability into the frame, low center of gravity...is a grand compliment to the bike.

That's what most impressed me this morning. Will I do this type of riding with my SVTC again? In reality...no. It was sheer curiosity...and that curiosity has been satisfied.

Yamaha knew what they were doing...to create a bike that has such sensitivity of direction...that you only have to think about the line tack...and it will go there. That is what is amazing, considering the weight and heft of the ride...

United States
    NE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No issues with dragging pegs? I read a review involving the Harley Road Glide and the Indian Road Master and it claimed that the pegs drug ground first on the Yamaha. I know I never had a problem dragging pegs, but I one time got my toes stuck between the road and the foot peg. That was a scary AND painful lesson! Heres a link for the article for reference

http://ridermagazine.com/2018/04/06/...omparo-review/
    If you dont like the way im livin', you best leave this long haired country boy alone...

United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I downloaded a photo of the Star Venture TC as my wall paper and that bike has a squad floorboard on it instead of the curved floorboards mine has, I wonder if those first demo bikes being pre production models had those square floorboards which would be larger and would likely drag the ground sooner.

I have yet to drag a floorboard with my Star Venture Transcontinental.

8. Likes Chaharly liked this post
    United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You're kidding me? You popped a 964 pound wheelie?" !!!!!!
    Didn’t say “wheelie”, but I did pull the front end up off the concrete!
    The beginning of wisdom is to realize that we are ignorant.
    Being ignorant is “ok”. Staying that way is stupid!

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
    Got cha,, so it's faster/quicker if you shift at 15 mph in 1st, 25 in 2nd, 40 in 3rd, 55 in 4th and 70 in 5th??? Just seems like a lot of shifting compared to what I am used to coming off a 1st Gen that loves to run up to 70 in 2nd or my sport bike that will pull 105 in 1st gear (to get back to the comparison Joe was making..
    I am a little confused (TOTALLY NOT UNUSUAL) by the whole torque thing I know,,, my little 1200cc putzy non torquey V-4 will also climb her butt right out of a non downshifting 35 mph 5th gear crawl while loaded down with 2 people and packed to the gills for touring without so much as a glitch and find its way over the hill to 100 mph... I just dont see the connection between needing to pull and shift like I am riding a semi truck tractor on a motorcycle I guess... By the sounds of things,,, I think i better grab my camera and go hunt down another SVTC demo so I can experience sport mode first hand
    HIGHLY recommend it Puc!!

United States
    MD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
    HIGHLY recommend it Puc!!
    Seconded, bike is a totally different beast in sport mode!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post

That’s cuz Puc treats his like a gosh durn billy goat and goes off-roading on it! Anytime you’re gonna use a highway tire for motocross it’s not gonna last long!
    Last edited by ChiefGunner; 05-16-2018 at 05:43 PM.

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I downloaded a photo of the Star Venture TC as my wall paper and that bike has a squad floorboard on it instead of the curved floorboards mine has, I wonder if those first demo bikes being pre production models had those square floorboards which would be larger and would likely drag the ground sooner.

I have yet to drag a floorboard with my Star Venture Transcontinental.
    I have dragged mine ONCE, but it was a TEST. I wanted to find out how far I had to go before I scraped. Let me say it was beyond MY comfort level!! Won’t be cornering THAT hard for sure

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puc...OMG! This 997 (964 corrected, lol) pound behemoth, is freakin' CRAZY! I am quite stunned.

I went up to the Hockley Valley around 4:15 am this morning, because I have never ridden Charlotte in the dark. I wanted to see the dash, the low beams, high beams...and was very interested...(never had a bike with low zone running lights) to see how the running lights illuminated the night life. They were simply spectacular...they light up 45 degrees right out from the Shark's Head, to about 50 feet...and then the lo/high beams take over. I'll always have them running in the PM.

BUT...but..THAT was the least of it. I get up to roadways, that my friends and I terrorize on our Sport Tours...and I turned left onto the road from Highway 10...and prepared myself with Char-Burger...by doing wallow and s-moves on a strait away. Felt solid...felt good. I then entered my first S-Back...with a lead in of 35 degrees...and then outbound at 25 degrees...and she stayed where I put her at about 35 MPH. Ok....I got a little more aggressive...and I won't bore you...but only to say, that by the end of my coming out of the Sport's Tour Sunday Circuit...I was almost knee scraping at curves at 50 MPH...and YET...I did not ever hear a scrape on the floor boards. This bike is so...svelte around corners...PUC...she floats around them...and does not squat down on her forks or back end. I don't need another bike...and am seriously thinking about that. The Star Venture Trans Continental, will tear as much *ss, as you require...and then...then...take you out to Vancouver, for a bowl of Clam Chowder.

Puc.....this is one H*LL of a bike...a solid, non-flexing frame, a kick *ss 113 cubic inches of torque pie,...and in Sport Mode..of which I ran this morning.....well..."I don't need no stinkin' Sports Tour"....
    You should see how the night lights up with the addition of the accessory LED lights added. 6 lights on the front makes for some great illumination.

15. Likes Chaharly liked this post
    United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tealw1 View Post
    You should see how the night lights up with the addition of the accessory LED lights added. 6 lights on the front makes for some great illumination.
    I wanted them but $450 seemed a bit ridiculous!

Texas
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of yall are full of squat because.

put some gopros on those crashbars and let me see some pavement.

18. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    NE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well fellas... I think its time for the official 1/4 Mile Times!
    If you dont like the way im livin', you best leave this long haired country boy alone...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast