IGNORED

almost bought it

Gary Klop

Wonder if anyone else has had it happen. Bought a new to me 2005 Royal Star Venture in Wisconsin last fall and rode it back to Eastern UP Michigan in the rain. No problem and love it. Rode it to the golf course the other day and on the way I took off from a corner and a ways down the road I was nearly pushed off the bike as the windshield for no apparent reason came loose and flew off hit me between my helmet visor (half helmet) and my safety glasses and shattered shortly after hitting the ground and a truck running over it. I was able to get off the road safely and go back and pick up the bigger pieces. Lucky it didn't throw me off the road!

Pretty sure Stardbog lost a windshield on the way to MD a few years ago. Part of my annual maint. has been to check those screws and also holes in windshield. Gotta be pretty scary watching that thing come flying rite at your head, glad you didnt go down.

Craig

Wonder if anyone else has had it happen. Bought a new to me 2005 Royal Star Venture in Wisconsin last fall and rode it back to Eastern UP Michigan in the rain. No problem and love it. Rode it to the golf course the other day and on the way I took off from a corner and a ways down the road I was nearly pushed off the bike as the windshield for no apparent reason came loose and flew off hit me between my helmet visor (half helmet) and my safety glasses and shattered shortly after hitting the ground and a truck running over it. I was able to get off the road safely and go back and pick up the bigger pieces. Lucky it didn't throw me off the road!

Glad you weren't injured or go down. I don't recall seeing anyone post about a wind screen coming off of a 1st Gen before. Was it OEM or after market?

Thinking Gary may be talking about a 2nd Gen here XV... I only say that cause I know that due to the tendency of the 1st Gen's to easily reach Max Q, Mom Yam spent an extra amount of time and effort designing the windshield mount on the 1st Gen so long before this could happen, the pilot of the 1st Gen would see other parts go flying past them on their way to possibly damage heat shields needed for re-entry as a warning that something was terribly and dangerously wrong.

Hey Gary,,, glad your OK!!!!!!!!!

YES IT HAPPEND TO ME CHECK THE SCREWS NOW :parrots::080402gudl_prv::fingers-crossed-emo

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

:sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On:

:thumbsup:

IIRC, there are 6 screws that secure the windshield to a metal bracket in the fairing. The two screws closest to the center go into holes, the other 4 go into slots in the bottom of the windshield. At least that's how it is on an OEM windshield.

Two screws on the inside top edge of the fairing (3mm hex) will release the chrome trim at the base of the windshield. This exposes the screws to be tightened.

Make sure they are tight.

RR

I got some large rubber washers and fender washers from the hardware store. It displaced the fore holding in a wider area. Also if someone put a taller windshield on a second gen he must have been Paul Bunion.

I found that when I went to the Clearview windscreen on my 2nd Gen the original windshield screws would loosen over time and I periodically checked and tightened them. I went to screws that were a couple milimeters longer and no issues since. If you have an aftermarket screen, go with longer screws