IGNORED

Safe Speed for My 2007 Venture

OK, I messed up and read the manual that came with my New-To-Me 2007 Venture. I've had it up to 90 MPH on an Interstate and noticed no problems except the expected buffeting when passing 18 wheelers. However, in the manual, it stated you should not exceed 80 MPH when the saddle bags and trunk are installed. Is that a liability thing or has anyone noticed handling problems? I don't intend to ride any faster than 90, I just tend to use a little more throttle when passing so I can clear traffic and... yeah I went there... find a safe space when I'm riding. :biker:

I just tend to use a little more throttle when passing so I can clear traffic and... yeah I went there... find a safe space when I'm riding. :biker:

I dont know diddle squat about the 2nd Gen's like you are riding cause I never had the pleasure of owning one and have only ridden a "triked" version of one for about 1/2 mile but I do know one thing,,, it sounds like you and I are related :big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:

.... However, in the manual, it stated you should not exceed 80 MPH when the saddle bags and trunk are installed. ...

The manual states :

" Do not exceed 80 mph (120km/h) when riding with the travel trunk, side cases or both installed, otherwise handling could be affected"

This is their "we warned you and aren't liable" statement. They also state "Always securely close the side cases and travel trunk before riding" - kind of obvious but limits them getting sued because they "warned" owners - like the label on coffee cups that says "Hot".

The warning is there because with the travel trunk and it's size it gives a large profile area high up on the bike that a strong cross wind could catch and push you across a lane. I don't get this warning because removing the trunk isn't a simple task and you would lose audio unless you mounted it somewhere else.

What I like is the overall load rating of 419lbs. 20lbs per side case and trunk (60lbs). Trunk rack is limited to 20lbs (I think that's the number). I'm 200lbs so that leaves me 139lbs for a passenger (less when you take into account other things that have been added like passenger highway pegs, changing the stock air boxes to the billet ones, trunk rack, etc) or 159lbs if I don't have anything on the trunk rack. If you are heavier, then your passenger has to be lighter. The more you weigh the thinner your passenger. They also don't recommend towing a trailer but how many of us do pull trailers?

For those looking for manuals there is a "read only" section on this forum with 1st Gen service manuals and 2nd Gen owner and service manuals. You can also get Yamaha Owners manual downloads for bikes since 1994 from https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/owners-manuals

Found a site with 1st gen manuals (owner and service manuals) at https://www.yamahaventure.nl/xvz-1200.html

From the 1st Gen owners manual found here the load limits are :

Saddle bags 20lbs

Travel trunk 20lbs

Basic weight 736lbs

Max load 432lbs

Makes me think of Cowpuc with how he loads his bike. :-)

If we followed the manual verbatim as a religion, no one would ever ride further than the corner store. If that far!

My buddy and I got our picture in an Easy Rider edition (pic sent in by a reader) from a road trip back in the Eighties. I was PCSing to Germany, he had recently ETSed and I was taking him back to Nashville on my way home to Ohio.

We were on a 1984 Harley Davidson FXST with my home built over sized leather saddle bags stuffed to bursting, our bed rolls hung saddle bag style over those, 3 fully packed duffles stacked and strapped to the rear fender and a medic's bag full of tools on the forks. Neither of us were huge at the time, maybe 350lb combined but I guaranty that bike weighed close to 1000 lbs without us and it ran 80mph from Colorado Springs to Nashville without a problem.

Hey Robert,

Welcome to the forum. Stick around, you may make a friend or two.

"Safe Speed" is a rather relative term in my opinion. I have personally rode a Second Gen. over 110 mph without any problems what so ever. With that being said, I have been on a highway fully loaded, with a 50 mph cross wind going 45 mph, and could barely keep the bike on the road. My personal style of riding is usually "quick" compared to other riders. Weather conditions, fatigue, road conditions, luggage and passenger load all come into play on a motorcycle much more than in a car or truck. If that "little voice" in the back of your head is telling you that you are going too fast, then most likely YOU ARE!

One of my Ventures has been so heavily modified that my dear wife will no longer ride with me on that motorcycle. I am sure that as you ride your RSV for longer periods of time, you will find that the "going fast" part will exceed your expectations easily. I am also sure that you will find that the stopping, and maintaining control while stopping will be the determining factor in your quest for finding the magical "Safe Speed" of your bike.

Like I said earlier, Welcome to the forum Robert, keep coming back, and by all means, get out there and ride and report back to us on what you have found out about what your safe speed is! Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Earl

What I like is the overall load rating of 419lbs. 20lbs per side case and trunk (60lbs). Trunk rack is limited to 20lbs (I think that's the number). I'm 200lbs so that leaves me 139lbs for a passenger (less when you take into account other things that have been added like passenger highway pegs, changing the stock air boxes to the billet ones, trunk rack, etc) or 159lbs if I don't have anything on the trunk rack. If you are heavier, then your passenger has to be lighter. The more you weigh the thinner your passenger. They also don't recommend towing a trailer but how many of us do pull trailers?

See, now this is my excuse for leavin' the Boss at home. I weigh 300lbs, so until she's under 120 I can't bring her with!

I've had my 2000 RSV in triple digits for a tank full. It didn't take too long as the mileage is pretty bad at that speed. Fastest was about 110 mph following an 18 wheeler (not too closely) on I-40 in New Mexico. I was not comfortable at all at that speed but the bike did fine. I was fully loaded with an aux tank and a week+ worth of supplies. Riding one-up (my wife would have slapped me silly at those speeds).

It cruises beautifully at about 85-90 mph.

I am certainly not advocating for riding at these 'Go-Directly-To-Jail' speeds. Make sure your tire pressures are correct, your steering head bearings are properly maintained, etc., etc.

FYI - the cruise control will not set above 80 MPH.

RR

Hey Robert,

Welcome to the forum. Stick around, you may make a friend or two.

"Safe Speed" is a rather relative term in my opinion. I have personally rode a Second Gen. over 110 mph without any problems what so ever. With that being said, I have been on a highway fully loaded, with a 50 mph cross wind going 45 mph, and could barely keep the bike on the road. My personal style of riding is usually "quick" compared to other riders. Weather conditions, fatigue, road conditions, luggage and passenger load all come into play on a motorcycle much more than in a car or truck. If that "little voice" in the back of your head is telling you that you are going too fast, then most likely YOU ARE!

One of my Ventures has been so heavily modified that my dear wife will no longer ride with me on that motorcycle. I am sure that as you ride your RSV for longer periods of time, you will find that the "going fast" part will exceed your expectations easily. I am also sure that you will find that the stopping, and maintaining control while stopping will be the determining factor in your quest for finding the magical "Safe Speed" of your bike.

Like I said earlier, Welcome to the forum Robert, keep coming back, and by all means, get out there and ride and report back to us on what you have found out about what your safe speed is! Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Earl

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm afraid I hit the "rats, they will put me in jail" speed way before I hit what will feel is my top safe speed. The 80 MPH and over I've already hit felt comfortable. However, when I read the manual and saw the cautions, well I've never owned a touring bike before. I did a 150 miles on it yesterday by accident. I only meant to take a short trip. What an INCREDIBLY comfortable bike! Yeah, the Raider was cool, but I don't miss it. :7_6_3[1]:

My 07 usually cruises 80+ when on the slabs with bags on and loaded. I wouldn't get too excited.

Now for the big part there is a rule around here that says if there ain't no pictures the bike don't exist. Is it the blue/black 07? You know blue is the best model right?

:worthless:

My 07 usually cruises 80+ when on the slabs with bags on and loaded. I wouldn't get too excited.

Now for the big part there is a rule around here that says if there ain't no pictures the bike don't exist. Is it the blue/black 07? You know blue is the best model right?

Good point. My bike is an "I dare you" midnight. Here's my picture of Midnight in the afternoon -

Midnight in the afternoon.jpg

Good point. My bike is an "I dare you" midnight. Here's my picture of Midnight in the afternoon -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112568[/ATTACH]

I'm also in the ride it like I stole it camp! I routinely drive in the 80+ category daily!! With the new F4 windshield i have little to no buffeting. As I cross the century mark its still okay as long as I'm accelerating when Level off at around 105 is when i notice the bags and trunk shaking a bit and the re-entry tiles falling off and other goofy stuff happening. So I've learned it likes 95 but not 105.

PS Blue over black really the fastest color

If we followed the manual verbatim as a religion, no one would ever ride further than the corner store. If that far!

My buddy and I got our picture in an Easy Rider edition (pic sent in by a reader) from a road trip back in the Eighties. I was PCSing to Germany, he had recently ETSed and I was taking him back to Nashville on my way home to Ohio.

We were on a 1984 Harley Davidson FXST with my home built over sized leather saddle bags stuffed to bursting, our bed rolls hung saddle bag style over those, 3 fully packed duffles stacked and strapped to the rear fender and a medic's bag full of tools on the forks. Neither of us were huge at the time, maybe 350lb combined but I guaranty that bike weighed close to 1000 lbs without us and it ran 80mph from Colorado Springs to Nashville without a problem.

OUTSTANDING POST HERE .40!!!! Hope you dont mind but I just cannot let this one go by without a follow up = I HAVE TO COPY/PASTE THIS OVER IN THE WATER HOLE!!!!!

By the way,, THANK YOU for your service in protecting our way of life brother!! Also by the way,,, did you know you can get one those club honor badges by simply requesting one so all members far and wide will know that you proudly served? :usa:

Sorry guys, I like to ride 65mph. It’s comfortable, enjoyable, and relaxing. I’ve ridden at break neck speeds also, ran speeds of 80-100 coming home from Sturgis last year. It sucked, it wasn’t fun, but had an emergency and had to get home. It’s good to know that if needed, it will do whatever you need.

Doing 80 today on the interstate going to dr when a woman in the right lane decided to be in the left lane. Rear brake lockup, tire smoke, and one finger waving. Maybe the book is right. Just don't know how that Japanese book writer knew.

Rafterd,

I get ya. I do.

I'm an acceleration junkie. I don't really care what the top end is as long as twisting her tail sets me on the back seat and makes me hold my breath. I also like to cruise in comfort. My gen1 Mk1 is as close as I've come so far to getting the best of both of those worlds. It's not quite as responsive as my GSXR was but it is far more comfortable than any other bike I've owned and it jumps quite respectably.

It's just amazing what kind of horrible things happen at 81MPH.

As for the max payload, well... I'm only about a buck-seventy-five, and my gear wouldn't ever weigh more than about 60 lbs, but honestly if I ever found myself with a woman over 130, she'd better come with her own bike. :rolleyes:

Maybe that's why I've been single for so long? :think:

Doing 80 today on the interstate going to dr when a woman in the right lane decided to be in the left lane. Rear brake lockup, tire smoke, and one finger waving. Maybe the book is right. Just don't know how that Japanese book writer knew.

Glad you kept the shiny side up!