IGNORED

Yamaha Navigation issue

Seems people are having a hard time getting Yamaha ToolBox to see their thumb drive and they are getting an error code instead of the system seeing the thumb drive and accessing it.

I think I have found their problem, if you open the thumb drive via the file manager you will see a folder named NaviFolder.

Double click on NaviFolder and it will take you to two new folders, one named fingerprint and the other named update.

Double click on the folder named fingerprint and it will open to a new folder named DEV-MD5.

Double click on the folder named DEV-MD5, that will open five items, you do not have to do anything further on the thumb drive.

The five items are content, device_checksum.md5, device_status.ini, license and save.

With that last folder open with the five items showing go back to Yamaha toolbox and follow the procedure again and this time it will find the file it was looking for and will do its thing.

The problem is the Yamaha Toolbox can't find the file it needs as there are to many folders to access.

You can thank me later.

I haven't found my Yamaha toolbox. Did find a little bag with a few wrenches, screwdriver, etc in the saddlebag. I updated my navigation system yesterday though, Walmart had a sale on a Rand McNally atlas. While I was there I grabbed some antifreeze and a few blank cassettes to update the infotainment system too. Thanks for the info though, I'll look again. :stickpoke:

This is the first I've heard of this problem.

My advice would be to stay away from cheap USB thumb drives. :confused24:

Has nothing to do with the thumb drive, it is the Yamaha Toolbox not being able to drill down into so many folders to find what it needs. I had to do the same thing with the Harley to do updates on its entertainment system.

My thumb drive is a 8 GB Toshiba a good name brand thumb drive.

I don't know what else to tell you, I made the thumb print on a USB thumb drive like the Yamaha Toolbox directions said then I put the USB thumb drive in a USB port on my iMac and it gave me an error code. That is when I did the procedure listed above and retried opening and running Yamaha toolbox and it detected the USB thumb drive.

Now all I have to do is insert the USB thumb drive into a USB port and then open Yamaha Toolbox, sign in and it sees the USB thumb drive and on the right side of the Yamaha Toolbox screen it shows me an assigned number on my USB thumb drive.

I think the file Yamaha Toolbox is looking for is device_checksum.md5. But it might also be looking for device_status.ini file as well, in any event Yamaha Toolbox needs one of those two files if not both of them in order to communicate with the USB thumb drive.

• 3 months later...

Where is this Toolbox that you all talk about. My bike has the latest updates and I've had absolutely no problems with the system but the dealer had it all done when I picked up the bike. I don't have any type of USB stick or anything else. Should I have a USB stick with Toolbox software on it or is Toolbox built into the system?

Has nothing to do with the thumb drive, it is the Yamaha Toolbox not being able to drill down into so many folders to find what it needs. I had to do the same thing with the Harley to do updates on its entertainment system.

My thumb drive is a 8 GB Toshiba a good name brand thumb drive.

Exactly! It’s not a very “smart” system so you kinda have to “hide the eggs in plain sight” if you catch my drift.

Where is this Toolbox that you all talk about. My bike has the latest updates and I've had absolutely no problems with the system but the dealer had it all done when I picked up the bike. I don't have any type of USB stick or anything else. Should I have a USB stick with Toolbox software on it or is Toolbox built into the system?

The “Tool Box” is on Yamaha’s site. I’m sure American has a ready link to it. YES, you need to have a good quality thumb drive to use exclusively for system updates. An 8GB stick is plenty big enough. Do not use that stick to upload navigation routes. Keep it exclusively for software updates.

Yamaha page for infotainment system software information and how to download updates.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/transcontinental-touring/pages/infotainment-software-update

At the top of the page where it says Download latest software update is an active link, you click on it and it will down load the latest software onto your computer then you copy that to a thumb drive and use the thumb drive to update the software on the infotainment system.

The current software is R12.0.6. The page shows you how to check the software version on the infotainment system and walks you through the rest.

I have the Yamaha toolbox on my desktop but I am not sure what good it is, going to the link provided above will get you to the software, the Yamaha toolbox always tells me there are no updates available.

Here is a link on how to install the Yamaha Toolbox:

https://yamaha.welcome.naviextras.com/download/yamaha_user_guide_en.pdf

Here is a link to the install page for the Yamaha toolbox:

https://yamaha.welcome.naviextras.com

Between the three links everyone should be able to find one of them that works for them on getting software updates for the infotainment system.

Edited by American

Thanks. The dealer had loaded the latest software and my system is working very well. I got the instruction credit card looking thing with the activation number on it. I just didn't get any kind of thumb drive like I have seen some here mention. I guess I don't need it and will just need a thumb drive when I need to install another update.

Thanks. The dealer had loaded the latest software and my system is working very well. I got the instruction credit card looking thing with the activation number on it. I just didn't get any kind of thumb drive like I have seen some here mention. I guess I don't need it and will just need a thumb drive when I need to install another update.

I have never received a thumb drive from Yamaha or the dealer. I have an 8 GB Toshiba thumb drive that I have set up to use.

It might help if those links were put in a sticky thread or tech page so they can be easily found and used for future owners.

Something to consider/remember with removable thumb drives (removable USB hard drives) is how it it is formatted (the base file system). Thumb drives should be formatted using EXFAT files system before copying anything to them. EXFAT is universally compatible with windows and mac. They should be formatted as EXFAT by default but not always. If you have a thumb drive, removable USB hard drive that a Mac won't recognize (someone posted earlier their Imac had error could not read it), the thumb drive is likely formatted with FAT or FAT32 file system which is recognized by Windows PC only. Possible that for those folks that get device not detected for their USB, may need to reformat the thumb drive to EXFAT, then download the yamaha files again. Remember formatting deletes everything off the drive.

Edited by RSTDdog
USB not USD

I did not receive a thumb drive when I bought mine, but I did receive one from Yamaha in the mail. It is actually pretty cool, it looks just like a credit card, fits in your wallet. Thought it was an activation doo dad at first, the thingy that gets inserted into the usb receptacle is hidden, and folds out from the card. First I've ever seen like that. I'll post a pic when I'm home.

I did not receive a thumb drive when I bought mine, but I did receive one from Yamaha in the mail. It is actually pretty cool, it looks just like a credit card, fits in your wallet. Thought it was an activation doo dad at first, the thingy that gets inserted into the usb receptacle is hidden, and folds out from the card. First I've ever seen like that. I'll post a pic when I'm home.

I received a very nice quality 8GB USB Drive when I bought my bike. I guess my dealer (great people) supplied it as I soon found out many others did not get one. I also got the credit card looking one. Very innovative design, but I’ll save it as a backup if needed.

Hope you’re enjoying the bike!

• 8 months later...

Hi All.

Wondering if anyone has had this problem: I purchased a 16 gig USB drive and downloaded the info from my new 2018 Star Venture. I also downloaded the Toolbox software to my home computer and inserted the USB to activate my navigation system. The toolbox must have recognized my USB because it asked me for the activation code which was revealed when I scratched the bottom of the plastic card I received when I bought the bike. Unfortunately it has rejected my activation code. No matter how many times I have tried, it still does not allow me to get any information upload onto my bike's system. Why would my activation code be rejected? My dealership is clueless.

Thanks ahead of time. Hope you can help.

Tugboat Rick

I will take a couple of guesses here. The signature of the bike is on the USB stick correct? What format is the USB stick in? It should be Fat32. I know the bike is very particular on the type of USB drive. You may want to try a 8 GB. You should also receive a USB stick from Yamaha. Mine was mailed to me. I believe the activation code is good, it is the type or format of the USB drive that is causing the problem.

Hi All.

Wondering if anyone has had this problem: I purchased a 16 gig USB drive and downloaded the info from my new 2018 Star Venture. I also downloaded the Toolbox software to my home computer and inserted the USB to activate my navigation system. The toolbox must have recognized my USB because it asked me for the activation code which was revealed when I scratched the bottom of the plastic card I received when I bought the bike. Unfortunately it has rejected my activation code. No matter how many times I have tried, it still does not allow me to get any information upload onto my bike's system. Why would my activation code be rejected? My dealership is clueless.

Tugboat Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All.

Tugboat Rick

Wonder how you made out ... I have the exact same problem. We must have the exact same dealer too...lol

I can't load mine either, same error, rejects my activation code as well. If you got it figured out I'd like to know what you did.... Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All.

Tugboat Rick

Not sure if this will be of any help, but my code was rejected the first few time i tried...I realized that the O and 0 (oh and zero) were way to easy to get confuse...luckily I only had one zero that looked like and oh...I changed it and it worked. Check your code and see if it applies. Good luck.

Hi All.

Tugboat Rick

Not sure if this will be of any help, but my code was rejected the first few times i tried...I realized that the O and 0 (oh and zero) were way to easy to get confuse...luckily I only had one zero that looked like and oh...I changed it and it worked. Check your code and see if it applies. Good luck.

Edited by mbrang00
dup