Right now tire choice is limited to the Bridgestone tires as the size is different than other bikes of this class.

Seems the 2018 Honda GoldWing Tour uses the same size tires as the Yamaha Star Venture only they are using Dunlap tires so that will give us two different tire brands to choose from when tires are needed.

I am hoping Michelin comes out with Commander II tires that will fit the Yamaha and Metzeler with an 888 tire as well. I used to run Avon Cobra's on my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour so I would welcome Avon Cobra tires as well.

• 4 months later...

--

I'm at 10,000 miles now and have 4/32" tread left on my rear tire. I should need a new one by 15-16,000 miles. The OEM Bridgestone cost from the dealer is well over $300. so I won't be using one of them. In fact I'll be switching to the Darkside and put on a Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat car tire in a 205/55R16. They cost about $135. from Tire Rack, are radials, and being run flats, are much safer than not in the event of a blowout. That size is also slightly larger in diameter than stock so it will put my speedometer pretty close to right on.

Unfortunately I already switched out my front as my OEM got a non-repairable cut at 8,000 miles. My replacement there is the same size as OEM but a rear tire with twice the usable tread.

--

• 1 year later...
--

I'm at 10,000 miles now and have 4/32" tread left on my rear tire. I should need a new one by 15-16,000 miles. The OEM Bridgestone cost from the dealer is well over $300. so I won't be using one of them. In fact I'll be switching to the Darkside and put on a Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat car tire in a 205/55R16. They cost about $135. from Tire Rack, are radials, and being run flats, are much safer than not in the event of a blowout. That size is also slightly larger in diameter than stock so it will put my speedometer pretty close to right on.

Unfortunately I already switched out my front as my OEM got a non-repairable cut at 8,000 miles. My replacement there is the same size as OEM but a rear tire with twice the usable tread.

--

Curious it's been a while since this post and would like to know how you are liking the tire on the bike? Any issues with the speedometer, TPS or anything in general? And did you have a motorcycle shop put it on, I have heard that some places won't do that.

Curious it's been a while since this post and would like to know how you are liking the tire on the bike? Any issues with the speedometer, TPS or anything in general? And did you have a motorcycle shop put it on, I have heard that some places won't do that.

--

On the front wheel, I put on a Bridgestone BattleAx BT45 rear tire in the stock front tire size of 130/70x18. The rear tire had much more tread on it. I got 20K on it running at 40#. New one is the same size.

On the rear wheel, I put on a Bridgestone Driveguard run flat radial 205/55x16. I paid Tire Rack $117.00. It's a slightly larger diameter which puts my speedo exactly right on. Odometer is 2.5% over actual. The width is a little more than stock and flatter so it rides straight more readily. I run 28# in it and have 18,000 miles on it and should get another 8,000 miles down to 2/32nd. I have the car tire mounted at either a Honda dealer that has me sign a waiver, or a Yamaha dealer that doesn't ask.

I can't say I have problems with either tire. The wider, flatter rear tire is, as any wide tire would be, a little more effort when turning, but something that's not noticeable once you're used to it. To me the safety of the run flat is worth the effort. Some riders forget that the different ride feel is due to the width of the tire more than that it's a car tire. Being a car tire just means you have more choices for a rear cruiser or tour bike tire. Not for the front or a sport bike, of course.

My bike didn't come with a factory TPMS, so I use a stem mounted after market which works fine.

--

Shinko makes a set that will fit.

Yeah, I have been told they weren't all that good. Are you running them?

I spent the day talking back and forth with Dunlop and they have the Elite 4 which their engineers finally said yes they will work on the bike and have the correct fitment, so they are changing their documentation to reflect as such. That tire has been listed at 233-239, not as good of a price as the c/t but better than the 300+ for the OEM tire.

Thanks for the info RonK . . . I appreciate it . . . I'm going to check out the Dunlop tires for now . . . I see they have another set as well, I will contact them to see if the fitment will work for this bike too, decent price and a different tread pattern.

I have Shinko on my '07 and I am very happy with its performance. My rear has almost 10K miles with a lot of tread left. From what I read about its history, it used to be owned by Yokohama and the business was sold to become the Shinko company today. They focus more on the powersports market especially motorcycle tires. Make in Korea with strict QC and advance Japanese technology in the manufacture of their tires....so I have no problem installing this brand on my SVTC when the time comes.

Right now tire choice is limited to the Bridgestone tires as the size is different than other bikes of this class.

Seems the 2018 Honda GoldWing Tour uses the same size tires as the Yamaha Star Venture only they are using Dunlap tires so that will give us two different tire brands to choose from when tires are needed.

I am hoping Michelin comes out with Commander II tires that will fit the Yamaha and Metzeler with an 888 tire as well. I used to run Avon Cobra's on my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour so I would welcome Avon Cobra tires as well.

I have the Dunlop Elite 4 MT on my rear. I didn't put the radial on which is a 60 series, until I wear out the front and change both. I like that the the Dunlop has a rounder profile from side to side, helps immensely in cornering, not having to come up over and off the edge of the tire. I worn the stock Excedra out in about 7800 miles. Always been a dunlop guy from riding My Wings. Interesting about the Darksiders. When I was having the Rear changed there was a Yamaha warranty rep looking at another bike and was asking me how I liked my SVTC. He asked what I was doing on I told him I was changing the rear. I am sure you guys already know this, but if you Darkside and have any warranty issues being done that are related, Kiss your warranty goodbye

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents.The RSV Needs a Front tire. I plan on doing some serious study on tires but for now I just want to be sure its safe. Riding with a dry rot crack irks me to no end. Stock size is 150/80 16. I read someplace that the 130 90 16 has a better handling aspect than the stock tires.

Anyone wanna chime in on this? Next season it will be A whole nother story as the rear is new but I dont even recognise the brand name.

I had Lops of my Road Star and the 83 VR before that. times have changed as has tec stuff tires etc so Im in no hurry to run off and buy the wrong stuff. Point the way Gentlemen!!

Thank you Much !

When I had my RSV I tried several different brand tires on both the front and back. I finally settled on the Shinko for the front. It is inexpensive and it last just as long as the more expensive dunlop. I always used the stock size for the front tire and never had any slow speed handling issues. The RSV is a big heavy bike and some people felt that they got better handling with the smaller tire. All you can do is try it as everyone is a little different.

When I had my RSV I tried several different brand tires on both the front and back. I finally settled on the Shinko for the front. It is inexpensive and it last just as long as the more expensive dunlop. I always used the stock size for the front tire and never had any slow speed handling issues. The RSV is a big heavy bike and some people felt that they got better handling with the smaller tire. All you can do is try it as everyone is a little different.

Sorry I been so long checking back. Been busy as heck here, Will stay with the stock tire for now and thanks for the input. Im refgusing to accept the fact that Im way older and only 10% as cocky and 200% crazier with old age... Stock is likely safer as well as Im too old to be experimenting... Ride safe.

Wingstuff has a good deal on a set (front and back). Plus, Bridgestone is offering a $60 rebate.

https://wingstuff.com/products/37971-bridgestone-tire-combo-for-2018-gold-wing-g852-g853

The problem I had at the dealership where I bought my bike, is that if they don't specifically say they are for this bike . . . even though the load/speed ratings are the exact same if it doesn't say it will work for this bike they wouldn't put it on. I had to call Dunlop they verified with their engineers and then reached out to the dealership stating so, they are also changing their info to include this bike in the fitment options. So while the Wingstuff site has a good price some places won't do the work if it's not specified to work on that particular bike. In one way I get it in another if it's the same exact numbers as the OEM then why won't they do it.

The problem I had at the dealership where I bought my bike, is that if they don't specifically say they are for this bike . . . even though the load/speed ratings are the exact same if it doesn't say it will work for this bike they wouldn't put it on. I had to call Dunlop they verified with their engineers and then reached out to the dealership stating so, they are also changing their info to include this bike in the fitment options. So while the Wingstuff site has a good price some places won't do the work if it's not specified to work on that particular bike. In one way I get it in another if it's the same exact numbers as the OEM then why won't they do it.

The owner's manual for the Venture lists these exact tires as OEM. That what was on mine when I bought it brand new.

The owner's manual for the Venture lists these exact tires as OEM. That what was on mine when I bought it brand new.

I don't know when I went to get new tires they quoted me for the price of the ones "for the goldwings" and then they found that there was another Bridgestone tire that was the actual OEM for this bike and it was 360+ just for the rear . . . I about lost it. But since it states that it an OEM for Goldwings they wouldn't put it on . . . that's why I had to get Dunlop involved.

I still have my '07 and stayed with the OEM size front tire as well. I didn't really want to change its riding characteristics as well as piece of mind. Shinko 777 for her. Time will tell, when Shinko 777 front tire will be available for the Eluder and SVTC. I think the rear is already available for purchase at your favorite motorcycle store.