IGNORED

How to activate GPS on a brand new Star Venture TC?

bussman

As a new member and new owner of a 2018 Star Venture TC I am hoping I can get some advice on a couple of things that I have not been able to resolve for my bike. First I have not been able to get my GPS activated. I have read the manual and all of the instructions about using the infotainment center and nothing in there properly describes how to actually get the GPS activated. I was provided with an activation card with a code by the dealership which does provide the address for the site on the back of the card to visit to begin the process. It notes using a 16GB USB device to save a "motorcycle fingerprint" and then instructs you to download the proper operation system version of Yamaha Toolbox to your PC so that it can be added to the USB for transfer back to the bike. I did both of these things however the application would not "start" either on a PC or a MAC as suggested using the Yamaha Toolbox instructions. When I re-read the instructions I noticed that they mention a Yamaha USB key. I have contacted two local dealerships, including the one where I bought my bike and they have no idea what I am talking about as they have not yet received their training on this newest Star Venture TC model from Yamaha. Can anyone advise whether I need to get a specific USB from the dealership to use to activate the GPS or if there is something else I need to be doing? Very frustrating.

Secondly this bike is equipped with a backup camera. I have gone into the setting on the infotainment center and have it turned on (checkmark) however when I put the bike in reserve nothing happens. Any thoughts on this one?

These are the only two problems I've had so far - otherwise bike works great and is a beautiful bike to ride.

As a new member and new owner of a 2018 Star Venture TC I am hoping I can get some advice on a couple of things that I have not been able to resolve for my bike. First I have not been able to get my GPS activated. I have read the manual and all of the instructions about using the infotainment center and nothing in there properly describes how to actually get the GPS activated. I was provided with an activation card with a code by the dealership which does provide the address for the site on the back of the card to visit to begin the process. It notes using a 16GB USB device to save a "motorcycle fingerprint" and then instructs you to download the proper operation system version of Yamaha Toolbox to your PC so that it can be added to the USB for transfer back to the bike. I did both of these things however the application would not "start" either on a PC or a MAC as suggested using the Yamaha Toolbox instructions. When I re-read the instructions I noticed that they mention a Yamaha USB key. I have contacted two local dealerships, including the one where I bought my bike and they have no idea what I am talking about as they have not yet received their training on this newest Star Venture TC model from Yamaha. Can anyone advise whether I need to get a specific USB from the dealership to use to activate the GPS or if there is something else I need to be doing? Very frustrating.

Secondly this bike is equipped with a backup camera. I have gone into the setting on the infotainment center and have it turned on (checkmark) however when I put the bike in reserve nothing happens. Any thoughts on this one?

These are the only two problems I've had so far - otherwise bike works great and is a beautiful bike to ride.

Go read my thread on software updates & backup camera. The unit has the CAPABILITY for a backup camera but does NOT have one installed. I contacted Yamaha to get info and they said I was “running two steps ahead of their engineers”. They wouldn’t tell me what kind of connection is used for it (probably RCA jack). Anyways, I cover this subject in that thread.

• 11 months later...
Go read my thread on software updates & backup camera. The unit has the CAPABILITY for a backup camera but does NOT have one installed. I contacted Yamaha to get info and they said I was “running two steps ahead of their engineers”. They wouldn’t tell me what kind of connection is used for it (probably RCA jack). Anyways, I cover this subject in that thread.

I am also having issues trying to get my navigation activated. I follow the instructions. Got the usb key from the bike and when I open the toolbox on my pc and put in the usb stick with the key the toolbox is not recognizing it. What am I doing wrong here? Did I miss something , Is there some trick to this? I would like to use my navigation and yet to be able to.

I am also having issues trying to get my navigation activated. I follow the instructions. Got the usb key from the bike and when I open the toolbox on my pc and put in the usb stick with the key the toolbox is not recognizing it. What am I doing wrong here? Did I miss something , Is there some trick to this? I would like to use my navigation and yet to be able to.

On my (admittedly overly-beefy) computer, it can be 30 seconds between from the time I launch the toolbar program until it recognizes the USB drive.

• 2 months later...

I was having the same problems. Bike wouldn't put the fingerprint on the USB drive, bike wouldn't take the software update downloaded from the Yamaha website, and like that. I have a brand new 16 GB thumb drive. The procedure I followed was, completely formatted in the thumb drive to FAT32,(important) the default on Windows 10, downloaded the update software, put it in the bike, Boom. Took about 15 minutes for the software to update. Once that was done I removed the drive, formatted it again, brought back out to the bike, thumbprint went right on the drive. Followed all the procedures and the update went flawlessly. The big thing that I found myself ignoring is, as was mentioned earlier on this thread, it sometimes takes a good 30 seconds or so for the thumb drive to be seen. It's not instant gratification like we've all become accustomed to. Take a one-step-at-a-time approach and you should have no problems. Hopefully this helps someone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Edited by Bulleod

.... Bike wouldn't put the fingerprint on the USB drive,

The procedure I followed was, completely formatted in the thumb drive to FAT32,(important) the default on Windows 10,

Boom.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Absolutely! I have edited your quote for the main idea, underlined, which has made me a shop hero...and allowed me to proceed on installing the TC package on my new ride. I literally pulled this thread up and followed your details on the shop computer, a PC. My newer Mac laptop would not format in the FAT32, but it would and did complete all of the other tasks once the flash drive was formatted.

You saved the day! And have earned a "road soda" at the watering hole of your choice....

• 1 month later...

I have a 2020 Venture TC and managed to activate my navigation or at least I think I did? My nav turns on but there doesn't seem to be any maps. Also the only available options on the nav function is "location info, logbook and settings...the rest of the buttons are greyed out. Am I missing something or didn't any maps get loaded onto the usb or head unit?

I'm suspecting that you didn't get it uploaded correctly or it needs to be updated. The dealer should have had it all set up and ready to go. I would take it back and make them do their job.

My dealer called me today and said Yamaha had sent the software to fix my Nav...what a nice surprise!

• 5 months later...
I'm suspecting that you didn't get it uploaded correctly or it needs to be updated. The dealer should have had it all set up and ready to go. I would take it back and make them do their job.

My dealer called me today and said Yamaha had sent the software to fix my Nav...what a nice surprise!

I followed the instructions and used a windows computer and a fresh 16gb memory stick and it worked perfectly.. I think it is important that you use a big enough memory stick and it will always have to be used again for updates. I understood that once downloaded into the stick it is your key so to speak to access and download updates into the gps as it has it on it. It must never be lost . I have it in my safe .. If u tried switching memory sticks then u messed up