IGNORED

Power Draw

BratmanXj

At this point, I'd just start cleaning and greasing every connector I could get at.

Kinda what I was doing last night. I cleaned the kickstand switch and connectors, fuse box, cruise, etc in the lower fairings. Pulled the right hand controls and started to clean it, but I'll take OUT the hazard switch tonight and see if there's an issue. The hazards were working when it wouldn't start, so it's a problem I probably created.

Have you thought about the battery? I had a fairly new battery do this to me, it would go almost dead in a few days, recharge working find, then do it again. Had the place I purchased battery to test it for warranty, it tested good. Did it again, this time after only two days sitting. Talked the place I purchased from into replacing it. Been 5 yrs now on that battery no problems.

Note: Most cars and bikes have electronics that draw power for up to 15 min. after turn off, then drain goes down to almost nothing, less than 5ma.

Have you thought about the battery? I had a fairly new battery do this to me, it would go almost dead in a few days, recharge working find, then do it again. Had the place I purchased battery to test it for warranty, it tested good. Did it again, this time after only two days sitting. Talked the place I purchased from into replacing it. Been 5 yrs now on that battery no problems.

Note: Most cars and bikes have electronics that draw power for up to 15 min. after turn off, then drain goes down to almost nothing, less than 5ma.

The power draw issue started after I pulled the whole front end off the bike to do steering head bearings. I believe I've licked the power draw, now just a matter of fixing the damage I did along the way. The battery has been replaced since this issue started, so I don't believe that's the problem.

Lots of ideas here, but in the past, leaving the RSV audio on with the key off will drain the battery... some times overnight depending on battery condition...

Hmm, that's a new one on me. I know the memory will continue to draw power but I thought the "hot" for the radio was on the ignition switch.

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly chugging away on this issue but still haven't resolved it. I've cleaned every connection in the fairing and down the back-bone of the bike with no resolution to the power draw. I've heard that the rectifier can go bad and draw current and I believe there is an "upgrade" for our bikes to the later model bikes rectifier but I'm not finding anything on this forums search. I did find an article on V4 Muscle about the V-Max and Shindingen SH650A-12 or SH640E-11 rectifiers. I'm going to do some more checking this week and see if the draw goes away with the rectifier unplugged.

I did fix the hazard issue. Can someone please verify that they only work with the ignition ON?

Also, fixed the no-start issues, that was a greasy/dirty kickstand switch.

Slowly chugging away on this issue but still haven't resolved it. I've cleaned every connection in the fairing and down the back-bone of the bike with no resolution to the power draw. I've heard that the rectifier can go bad and draw current and I believe there is an "upgrade" for our bikes to the later model bikes rectifier but I'm not finding anything on this forums search. I did find an article on V4 Muscle about the V-Max and Shindingen SH650A-12 or SH640E-11 rectifiers. I'm going to do some more checking this week and see if the draw goes away with the rectifier unplugged.

I did fix the hazard issue. Can someone please verify that they only work with the ignition ON?

Also, fixed the no-start issues, that was a greasy/dirty kickstand switch.

That would not make sense, to me.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

For the 2nd time in allllll of motorcycling history,, I gotta agree with Patch on this one :sign20:

I know for a fact that my 1st Gen hazards will work with key off and key in my pocket (ran out of gas a couple times :no-no-no: and had to WALK = Tippy did this :buttkick:). Of course,, an RSV could be wired differently but that really would make no sense to me either if it was.. :detective:

My 07 flashers only work with key on.

I agree, it doesn't make sense to only work with the key on. After I cleaned the contacts and such I got so worried that I some how created another problem, however odd it would be but I guess the RSV is wired differently.

My 05 "says" the flashers work with the key on only. I thought that was a mistake as who would want to have to leave the key on, lights and all, just to have the hazards on? But that's what it is on the 05 RSV. My 1st Gen hazards come on with key off.

BTW, has anyone thought to ask, or know, how much parasitic draw the radio, odo, etc., draw normally? I'm curious how much "over the line" were you?

BTW, has anyone thought to ask, or know, how much parasitic draw the radio, odo, etc., draw normally? I'm curious how much "over the line" were you?

Somewhere I found 50mv for memory functions on the Radio, CB & dash clock/odo, so I'm almost 3x the power draw.

Yep I look it up in the library ad it is on the flasher fuse Br wire..

Bottom left hand corner

https://www.venturerider.org/wiring/99-09%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Venture%20Simplified%20Circuit%20Diagram%20Rev%20B.pdf

I have a little meter that I use on bikes or cars for chasing power draws, not expensive and plugs in place of the fuse. The reason I mention this is cause knowing which circuit is the issue is being more than half way to solving the problem...

Or follow Puc's compass advice ....pointing up is north make a left and see what happens;)

Well you will have to get a volt meter in line with your power to see how much your drawing. Sounds like you had this already. Then you will have to start to pull fuses. When the draw goes away you found the circuit. Not to bad as there is only like 6 or 8 fuses on the bike. There are a couple under the right side leg fairings.

Yep I look it up in the library ad it is on the flasher fuse Br wire..

Bottom left hand corner

https://www.venturerider.org/wiring/99-09%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Venture%20Simplified%20Circuit%20Diagram%20Rev%20B.pdf

I have a little meter that I use on bikes or cars for chasing power draws, not expensive and plugs in place of the fuse. The reason I mention this is cause knowing which circuit is the issue is being more than half way to solving the problem...

Or follow Puc's compass advice ....pointing up is north make a left and see what happens;)

You found a set of leads for your DVOM that fit into a fuse socket? Any idea where you picked those up from

Well you will have to get a volt meter in line with your power to see how much your drawing. Sounds like you had this already. Then you will have to start to pull fuses. When the draw goes away you found the circuit. Not to bad as there is only like 6 or 8 fuses on the bike. There are a couple under the right side leg fairings.

Yup, I have the service manuals and wiring diagrams, I've been chasing this draw on and off for the last year. It drains the battery in about 4 days if I don't put it on a tender. I thought I found it on the "Back Up" fuse as shows in the 1st post photos, but it comes and goes intermittently. SO FRUSTRATING!