videoarizona

Average daily miles on a trip.  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Average daily miles on a trip.

• 200 miles
    • 300 miles
    • 400 miles
    • 500 plus miles

I voted 300 because that's a realistic average for me, but my goal is actually 400 or better. I usually end up spending more time sight seeing and visiting new friends than I plan on.

This, of course depends on whether the goal is the ride or the destination.

I am saying 400. Our usual Fall trip we run almost 500 Interstate miles the first day and a couple hundred the second on back-roads. I have made over 800 in a 12 hour day. (unfortunately not enough to get an IB) So it really depends on what your trying to do I suppose. More stops, less miles

Long distance is usually vacation so stopping and site seeing is important. I've done 900km / 560 miles in a day while on vacation (last day coming home), but some days only did a couple hundred km depending on what we wanted to see and do.

I usually knock out 600-800 on the first day then slow it down to 400-500, so avg is probably just north of 500/day. Also I tour away from cities and traffic, hitting countryside and open roads so that 500 comes a lot faster than my counterparts riding in more congested areas or vacationing in cities.

My personal best is a 1000 mi day on a Triumph Sprint, but I was younger then, not sure I would (or could) do that today. I'm just not in any real hurry unless I'm trying to get away from a city.

Depends on whether a vacation or a Long Distance Rally.

Vacation alone - 500 to 1000 miles per day.

Vacation with wife - 250 to 400 miles per day.

LD Rally - 1000+ miles per day.

RR

Edited by RedRider

• 4 months later...

I guess I could be considered a "return rider". I sold my last bike 35 yrs ago in 1983. It was a 1976 Goldwing, Vetter's fairing and Bates bags. I put a lot of miles on that bike.

Depending on what the trip was about determined the mileage ridden. One trip I took I left Phila and rode to Chicago non stop. I had a purpose in Chicago and a time limit to get there. The rest of the trip was more relaxed. Chicago to Detroit, crossed the bridge to Windsor Cn and through to Quebec City. Stopped frequently and if anything looked interesting, checked it out. Came back down through the New England states and back to Philly in time to change and go back to work. Ten days solo and approx 3500 miles.

Back then I had to work for a living. I'm now an old retired guy with time on my hands. My recently purchased 2009 RSV will be put to good use. I haven't been in a hurry for 20 or so years so leisure riding will be my forte. It might be a 100 to 200 per day.

I finally sat down and figured out my daily mileage for the trip to Michigan. Tried for Freebirds MD, but the rain on Friday in the east side of Michigan was to much so I went west.

Screenshot_20180530-145414.jpg

Screen capture taken later in day....

I averaged approx. 400 miles a day. That ended up being about 8 hrs on the road. The Speed averages for the 2 lanes was 65mph, so factor in fuel, bathroom and rest stops and you get an easy 8 hrs on the road. I did run about 5mph over most of the time to try and keep the motor at a higher rpm due to wind. It's funny, no matter what direction I travel, I had a head wind. Most of the time it came from around 11 o'clock...which would provide a nice slam when a truck came by from the other direction.

Regardless....It was a very nice trip. Meeting Puc and Tip, Flyinfool and his better half.... and having a great ride on Rt's 60, 70 and 54....nice to see the country from a bike seat!

• Like 1

I have and still do ride for the day!

I enjoy early rises, the quiet time that follows, breakfast time with strangers heading off to and in all different directions.

The cold but sure fire of a well maintained bike, this quiet of a standard warming in this early days light.Yes this that separates egos,yes sir this is my ride!

I enjoy the warming of the tires, the coffee and the teens serving at early days light. Those runny yokes and the taste of fresh bread, the pepper layers that hide the cooks lack of what's right . The pride in knowing I can match whatever or the solitude of knowing the days ending is just as its beginning, perfect to be held in ones fading eye sight. Colored by memories of past flights.

Mine all mine,and mine alone, every curve, every stop, every Lady met along the way; those that choose me or those that ride past, every breath every mile all mine for keeps.

The smile's I leave behind are theirs to keep.

No extras no taxes all paid in full, mile after mile just another days ride, no history all taken in stride.

Sun rise to sun set, mine, all mine, one mile at a time no reason required for choosing to say, adios lets agree its time for farewells - no long goodbyes my name is Carl I live not far from T.O;).

4 to a 1000 each one all mine, no bodies businesses, it is all mine!

Time is just simply my rhyme so seeing you next time is reason enough for my moving on; good enough for me, adios, adios.

We meet we pass, we share a drink and the company of a Lady or 2, no difference to either our colors stand true, black tops and white stripes I'll ride through this night- its always about adios, adios - too old now to fight;) Somewhere between us is where I long to be, so adios adios I've somewhere to be.

Tight skirts and high heels surrounding me, fathers and uncles eyeballing me, up off my knee girl you're tempting me, I suddenly remember I've somewhere to be, so adios, adios before trouble finds me, I'll ride through the night with your memory, escaping from who you thought I might be.

Over hills, through rain, smoke or fires I ride, distance is needed hell or high water just to stay free!

Ask of my generation how far we have come? Where or when it all begone, which of us can remember that far young?

Soon the shirt and tie will bind me once more, this freedom is short so please hold me not accountable for just being me, let me kick-start my freedom without account-ta-billity as I ride and ride from early to late and escape into, whats left of my freedom....

Patch (writing on Carl's behalf of course, I never lived so free)

Edited by Patch

• 1 year later...

back before I became a professional geriatric, 400 was always the Mark. Now im not so sure and wont know till next month when I take to see my sister in Salamanca NY on the senaca Reservation. I plan on leaving ay Daylight, 600 plus miles an change. we will see if i get 250 out of it all on the first day. I didnt know how much i missed it all.

Risde Safe! Happy Memorial day to all my Veteran Brothers and Sisters!

And to the rest of you as well.!

back before I became a professional geriatric, 400 was always the Mark. Now im not so sure and wont know till next month when I take to see my sister in Salamanca NY on the senaca Reservation. I plan on leaving ay Daylight, 600 plus miles an change. we will see if i get 250 out of it all on the first day. I didnt know how much i missed it all.

Risde Safe! Happy Memorial day to all my Veteran Brothers and Sisters!

And to the rest of you as well.!

There are several members in the area of the reservation. They tell me if you come bearing ice cream they’ll come out to meet you.